Malsua

Looks like snow...

AND YET, i remember driving my grandmothers 1971 ford ranch wagon in shit worse than we had last year with no problems. now? get a couple inches, and these schmucks are bouncing their cars off of everything on the road, and landing in ditches. what the hell happened? how can it be worse when the cars are so much better?

Because all these people buy all wheel drive grocery getters and they think they can fly down the roads and nothing can stop them. I learned on a 1984 Olds Delta 88. I have had 4 wheel drive my whole driving life, and I still dont drive like an ass.

Because all these people buy all wheel drive grocery getters and they think they can fly down the roads and nothing can stop them. I learned on a 1984 Olds Delta 88. I have had 4 wheel drive my whole driving life, and I still dont drive like an ass.

i learned on the mentioned station wagon, and my grand pops 67 mustang. i've had some form of mustang since 1979. during the heavy snows in the 80's i had my 69 chevy pickup, or my 83 mustang 5.0 to drive. at one point, i'd gotten rid of the 2x2 pickup and got a 1970 chevy 4x4. that thing was a beast. but i ended up getting rid of that. in the 90's i had my mustang(89 gt) or my 74 chevy pickup. i had the pickup during the blizzards we had in 93/94. with just tire chains i was able to drive that fairly easily, although many idiots in fwd vehicles kept messing up traffic.

now i've got my expedition for this crap. she's a beast. not much seems to stop her. i can drive in snow with pretty heavy confidence, 'cause i can avoid the idiots rather easily.

4 wheel drive does not help you stop better. That little tidbit seems to be missed nowadays.

When I was learning to drive my parents took me to a snow covered parking lot and said have a blast. You learned how to accelerate, brake, and get out of a skid.

Cars today are lighter with wider tires, less weight and more road contact surface area makes for lighter footprint, great for handling when pavement is dry or wet, bad for snowy weather.  Out west people buy narrower tread and profile snow tires for better traction.  Did it on my wife's car, tracks much better when road is snow covered.

4 wheel drive does not help you stop better. That little tidbit seems to be missed nowadays.

When I was learning to drive my parents took me to a snow covered parking lot and said have a blast. You learned how to accelerate, brake, and get out of a skid.

My father did the same, but he stayed in the car with me, coached me through numerous skids, etc.

Consider how stupid the average person is. Now consider that half of them are worse than that!

George Carlin — 'Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.'

get the quote right, as well as the attribution :D

Cars today are lighter with wider tires, less weight and more road contact surface area makes for lighter footprint, great for handling when pavement is dry or wet, bad for snowy weather.  Out west people buy narrower tread and profile snow tires for better traction.  Did it on my wife's car, tracks much better when road is snow covered.

This is either true or false, depending on how far back you go.  If you compare a car that we have today, to the same model 10 years ago, the cars are getting heavier.  This is because of extra creature comforts and safety features that we didn't have 10 years ago.

However I will completely agree with you that tires are quite important when it comes to traction.  My current truck has 4x4 and some form of traction control, and I still lost control in the snow.  If I had better tires for the job, I believe that it wouldn't have happened.

Side note.  I know you guys didn't get anything, but up here in Groton, CT...we got hammered.  The snow was halfway up my thigh in some spots.

This is either true or false, depending on how far back you go.  If you compare a car that we have today, to the same model 10 years ago, the cars are getting heavier.  This is because of extra creature comforts and safety features that we didn't have 10 years ago.

However I will completely agree with you that tires are quite important when it comes to traction.  My current truck has 4x4 and some form of traction control, and I still lost control in the snow.  If I had better tires for the job, I believe that it wouldn't have happened.

Side note.  I know you guys didn't get anything, but up here in Groton, CT...we got hammered.  The snow was halfway up my thigh in some spots.

I used AA traction summer tires and let them duke it out with my AWD and traction control. It's more like driving a boat than a car, it'll get around to going where I told it to eventually :D

We need to go back to the way it was before they introduced radial tires and labeled them all weather.  Back in the day we all had what were called snow tires, some of them even had metal studs in them.  If you did not have snows, then you put on chains.  It used to be you were banned from the road in times of emergency if you did not have snows or chains.  Today's winter tires are simply amazing.  Not only do they have snow tire type tread but they are made of special very soft rubber compounds that have much better traction in cold weather.  They improve your stopping distance even on dry pavement in cold weather compared to all season tires.  I went out in with my Blizak winter tires two Sundays ago when we had that massive ice slick and I never even noticed it and my anti-lock brakes never even chattered.  Four wheel drive is good, but those four wheels need to have traction to do anything and true winter tires make a huge huge difference.

Actually, many of todays cars are heavier than their fathers and grandfathers.

it can make a difference with a manual transmission.......

even going back into the 60's. camaros, mustangs, and novas averaged around 3200-3400 pounds. todays camaros weigh nearly 4,000 pounds....todays mustangs weigh about 3600 to 3800 pounds depending on sub model and options.....i got a 99 camry setting out in the bay right now with a gvwr of 4180....that'd put this car at around 3500 pounds at the lightest. todays cars ain't no lightweights.......

and consider that we've got a flying car that i think just got an lsa cert from the faa.........

Not yet, but they've applied for it.    They are asking for an almost 40% increase in the allowed weight for a light sport aircraft, so I'm not optimistic...but it will at least likely reach the market within a year--just not under LSA rules.  

For the curious:  http://www.terrafugia.com/aircraft/transition

We need to go back to the way it was before they introduced radial tires and labeled them all weather.  Back in the day we all had what were called snow tires, some of them even had metal studs in them.  If you did not have snows, then you put on chains.  It used to be you were banned from the road in times of emergency if you did not have snows or chains.

Many states still have chain laws.