glockamole

What does NJ consider your home/property

Been trying to find this out but no luck. I rent an apartment and that's where I live now. I have my guns there. I'm moving in the same town into a house that I will be taking over from a family member and living there alone. I will be changing my DL to that address along with my FID with all utilities in my name. NJ law says I can carry in my home, premises or land possessed. I think I'll be fine when I move but what about now? Can I take a handgun with me to my new home for a few hours while I work on it? I been going from my apartment to the home daily to renovate things and I'm there late alone so was just wondering. Sorry if it seems like a silly question but NJ... Thanks for any feedback.

I don't think a deed in your name is what is needed. Then someone that rents an apartment would not be able to have firearms. If you live at home with your parents you would not be able to own firearms. If you live with your spouse and the house is only in one's name then the other would not be able to own firearms.

I don't think a deed in your name is what is needed. Then someone that rents an apartment would not be able to have firearms. If you live at home with your parents you would not be able to own firearms. If you live with your spouse and the house is only in one's name then the other would not be able to own firearms.

In NJ anyplace you sleep at for more than 30 days is officially your home on day 31. Don't believe me look it up. Better yet try throwing a girlfriend out of your house that you own! that's been there more than 30 days. You actually have to have the bitch legally evicted, with a written letter giving 30 days notice to move out. I'm not joking about this I went through it in my 20's.

In NJ anyplace you sleep at for more than 30 days is officially your home on day 31. Don't believe me look it up. Better yet try throwing a girlfriend out of your house that you own! that's been there more than 30 days. You actually have to have the bitch legally evicted, with a written letter giving 30 days notice to move out. I'm not joking about this I went through it in my 20's.

nice good to know.

Hahaha nj is amazing. I'll hold off on taking my handgun with me for the nights I'm fixing things up then. But what about when I move. I know I can transport all my firearms to my new house minus that 1 box of hollow point I'll have to figure out... So then for the first 30 nights I can't touch my guns since its not my home yet? :) I guess with my FID I can take my long guns and carry them around unloaded. I really wish my move was not down the road but to another state. Thanks for the feedback!

I question your 30 day rule. If she has personal items at your place and there is PC for a complaint, you're out of there.

I tried, I just wanted her gone. I called the police in town they came and said she lives there we can't force her to leave. The two guys that responded were my friends I grew up with. I had to take civil action because she refused to go voluntarily. Their hands were tied, she wasn't trespassing because she resided there for about a year. I called my lawyer he confirmed the same thing, and told me I had to start the eviction process. I think my response to him was "are you Effing serious?" Wasn't like I had a rental agreement or lease with her either just my girlfriend that moved in and tried to completely run my entire life, I could no longer stand to be with. She didn't feel the same way unfortunately lol.

Guess it would have been different if we were beating the shit out of eachother. Then one or both of us would be removed no question. That wasn't the situation though. I said "pack your shit your moving out" she said "no I'm not" I said "fine I'm calling the cops" she just calmly sat on the couch waiting for them to arrive lol... glad that's over....

You need to provide a little more info.  You say you are going to live there and are taking it over from a family member.  Are you going to be renting or are you buying or being given the house?  What exactly is the houses status now?  If the other person still owns it just have them fill out a lease that given you the right to live there right now if they agree to it.  You are allowed to have more than one home, and transport between them.  There are many millionaires with guns in this state that have homes up north and down at the shore.  As for the hollow points, the law is screwed up.  I guess you have to drive your hollow points from home one to the range and then from there to the new home to get them there.  I guess you could also call UPS for a pickup and ship the ammo from the old house to the new one.

Grandmother moved in with other family and the house is vacant. She gave me a key and said do whatever you want with it as far as renovations. She would give it to me but she has more grandkids and that wouldn't be fair. Its mortgage free and I'll be putting the gas, electric, water and so on bills in my name. Down the road she will be selling it to me but for now it will be the places I live. This way I save money without the mortgage to fix it up. I put in my notice to break my lease and moving from my apartment May 31st. Now I'm just going back and forth painting every night so its ready to move in.

I think the lease thing on paper is a good idea. If anything hits the fan I'll have something showing why I'm there. I mean all the bills will be in my name for that house and my DL and fid will be that address and my voting will be linked to it but the lease is a smart idea. Thanks for the input!

I tried, I just wanted her gone. I called the police in town they came and said she lives there we can't force her to leave. The two guys that responded were my friends I grew up with. I had to take civil action because she refused to go voluntarily. Their hands were tied, she wasn't trespassing because she resided there for about a year. I called my lawyer he confirmed the same thing, and told me I had to start the eviction process. I think my response to him was "are you Effing serious?" Wasn't like I had a rental agreement or lease with her either just my girlfriend that moved in and tried to completely run my entire life, I could no longer stand to be with. She didn't feel the same way unfortunately lol.

Guess it would have been different if we were beating the shit out of eachother. Then one or both of us would be removed no question. That wasn't the situation though. I said "pack your shit your moving out" she said "no I'm not" I said "fine I'm calling the cops" she just calmly sat on the couch waiting for them to arrive lol... glad that's over....

Ya know this above answers a lot go questions I saw a show once where a girlfriend was moving into the guys house and his lawyer made her sign a piece of paper that basically stated you are living there as his "guest". I suppose that was his backup plan if it went bad like Slayer says above.

^^^^^NO!  If you take your pistol to your neighbors house, even if he says its OK, you are now a felon in NJ.  You are confusing New Jermany with a free state.

I'm not sure thats accurate. i will do some research. But from what i remember it was allowed. I could be wrong, i was wrong once before.

I'm not sure thats accurate. i will do some research. But from what i remember it was allowed. I could be wrong, i was wrong once before.

Well let's see.  Handguns are strictly illegal in New Jermany; except by specific exemption.  Those exemptions include your residence, a legal range, and your place of business.  I believe there are further conditions on your place of business something to the effect that you own it.  I don't see any exemption that says your neighbor's home; with or without their permission.  

Well let's see. Handguns are strictly illegal in New Jermany; except by specific exemption. Those exemptions include your residence, a legal range, and your place of business. I believe there are further conditions on your place of business something to the effect that you own it. I don't see any exemption that says your neighbor's home; with or without their permission.

^^^^^this!

You can't posess your handgun anywhere except exempt locations, a "neighbors house" isn't on the list. The only way to possess a handgun outside of an exempt location is to hold a NJ cary permit period.

Well let's see.  Handguns are strictly illegal in New Jermany; except by specific exemption.  Those exemptions include your residence, a legal range, and your place of business.  I believe there are further conditions on your place of business something to the effect that you own it.  I don't see any exemption that says your neighbor's home; with or without their permission.  

i stand corrected.. Frankly this state sucks ,the laws the people the traffic the taxes  the list goes on.

But you can take your Ak unloaded to a neighbors. Then load it full of 7.62 and shoot off rounds off their porch. But them handguns are the devil!

Yup, it's the little stainless gun that is dangerous not the big black scary gun in this law, other times its the big black scary gun.  Gotta love our messed up feel good do nothing gun laws.

If you have the permission of the property owner you may possess a firearm on the property from what i understand of the law.

I'm pretty sure you can't store any guns there until it is your primary residence .

I'll start with IANAL, nor do I play one of NJGF...

I'm a little late to the party.  But I do wish to clarify what you wrote above^^^.  The permission line you quoted is included in the HUNTING LAWS section and is good only for long guns since NJ doesn't allow any form of hand gun hunting.  As Howard has already stated, if I owned several pieces of property (with or w/o dwellings on them), I can drive to each and every one in succession, unarmed, take my hogleg outta the trunk of my sedan, load it up and carry it in the leather (concealed or open carried, doesn't matter) while on a perimeter patrol of my property, 24/7/365.

As for storage at a "Primary Residence", there isn't ANY such rule or law!  A "residence" is a residence.  One or twenty, doesn't matter.  Rich folks can have multiple gun safes in multiple dwellings all across New Jersey, and can maintain easy access as well as multiple memberships at various Gun Clubs around the state so as to enable themselves to "grab a gun" for both self-defense or simply to drive to a nearby Clay Bird Event to dust some clays with their $30K Kreighoff!  Or enter an action-shooting USPSA competition with their tricked-out "Race Gun".  Or wear 2-3 hand guns to patrol their 20 acre estate.  Once again Howard mentioned a millionaire having a shore house and living full-time up North.  Which brings me to my famous, "already threaded" example of Hurricane Sandy wrecking beach houses on LBI:

Several prominent professionals, sports figures, executives, etc. maintain a beach house.  When Sandy hit, homeowners who legally stored firearms (hand guns and long guns allowed) were told by Police agencies to remove them to a friends, relatives, even leave them locked in a vehicle if need-be instead of leaving them inside the dwelling awaiting the violent storms' ability to wash them into town should the worst happen.  Yes you read me right!  The Cops didn't care where the firearms wound-up, as long as they were still "under your care, custody and control" during the declared emergency evacuation!  For they were considered better-off with YOU, their owner, than just being left in the sand where your house once stood, available to scavengers with metal detectors!

As a shooter with 45 years behind the trigger, I say this all of the time:  NJ gun law is confusing enough w/o adding Urban Myth to the mix, or ANYTHING ELSE EITHER!  If one doesn't add "a trigger lock is needed"  or "a case is needed", or a "loaded mag equals a loaded gun", or "primary residence", then all of a sudden NJ gun law, if broken-down into its' simplest parts, although draconian, are quite understandable.

Hope these analogies and FACTS get you (and everyone else within the readership of this thread) a little more informed about NJ's gun laws.  Enjoy your weekend and go out and pump some lead into the ground!

Dave

^^^^^this!

You can't posess your handgun anywhere except exempt locations, a "neighbors house" isn't on the list. The only way to possess a handgun outside of an exempt location is to hold a NJ cary permit period.

What's a "NJ carry permit"???  From what I heard, It's kind of like a permit to own a Unicorn!