Sign in to follow this  
Kevin125

P/U Bed Covers

Anyone have an opinion on lockable bed covers? Like the Diamondback covers advertised here lately? Not a cap. Hate caps. I'm looking to put a cover on my Tundra. I want to use it so I can throw stuff in a cargo tray I'll put in the bed and lock it up rather than in the back seat. It's get crowded in the cab when you have 3 or 4 people in it and need to take stuff along that you don't want exposed to anyone walking by, or the elements.

I want to be able to remove the cover without killing myself when I need all or part of the bed opened up. Like if I'm transporting dirt bikes. But I'll also use it for gun transport since it's a pain in the ass to get 4 long guns, ammo and other stuff in the back seat when I take the kids shooting. Keeps them out of sight which can't hurt. ...the guns out of sight... Not the kids... They don't have to ride in the truck bed....

Main issues are how easy to open and remove and how secure it is. If anyone has either good or bad experience with a particular cover, that would help a lot. Thnx.

I don't like any flip up cover... they are meant to be -pretty- than functional IMHO...

I had one of these on my Silverado and loved it. Impervious to almost anything. Watch the demos and stuff. Not cheap, but you'll be secure...

http://rollnlock.com/

I don't like any flip up cover... they are meant to be -pretty- than functional IMHO...

I had one of these on my Silverado and loved it. Impervious to almost anything. Watch the demos and stuff. Not cheap, but you'll be secure...

http://rollnlock.com/

John - $1200 plus holy shit!

I have one on my truck and you loose a foot of bed length and you're not taking it off to easy

I have a Bak Flip on my Ram and I like it. When it's fully open I only lose about 6" at the front of the bed so I have never tried taking it off. It doesn't lock but unless you know where to push a bent wire coat hanger you can rely on your locking tailgate to keep curious fingers away.

Those plastic flip tops are just as expensive depending on model...

Never had a reason to take it off except once to put in a bed rug. Might be expensive, but it's more functional and secure then anything I've seen. Great customer support and product.

I guess you wouldn't want one on a short bed if you are toting bikes around, but on my 6ft bed, I was still able to get my Road King on it. Just angled slightling...

John - $1200 plus holy shit!

I have one on my truck and you loose a foot of bed length and you're not taking it off to easy

Never saw that before. Maybe weren't around when I got my PU years ago... That is cool. I'd consider it for my next PU. Right now I have a car. Miss my truck... Next truck will be a Raptor... Muhahahah.

I have a Bak Flip on my Ram and I like it. When it's fully open I only lose about 6" at the front of the bed so I have never tried taking it off. It doesn't lock but unless you know where to push a bent wire coat hanger you can rely on your locking tailgate to keep curious fingers away.

All I can add to this conversation is to get something that doesn't have snaps.

My cover is Vinyl and snaps.   When I need to get a load of QP or something, I take it off.  When I'm done I then spend 45 minutes, sweating, straining and swearing getting the now shrunken cover back on.   It's tolerable on a 90 degree day, but pure hell if it's below 50.

Deerslayer has a foldable cover on his pickup - Very nice but not sure how much it ran him. It's lockable and foldable.

I have the Extang trifecta (tri fold). I bought the soft model. But they make a hard one as well ($300 more). My tailgate locks and you can't open the cover from outside. you can remove the entire cover in about 2 minutes. The fame stays with the cover, no snaps, no bows, no bullshit. And you can drive with it flipped up. With the soft model it takes nothing more than a pocket knife to get what's in the bed. But it keeps the honest people honest with the gate locked. Doesn't leak a drop of water, even going through the car wash. The hard model would be a better choice for security. Extang makes a quality product the only brand bed covers I will buy. All my trucks have had Extangs.

http://tonneaucoversworld.com/extang-tonneau-covers.aspx

Those are all nice.   It's 6-1/2 ft. So giving up 6 inches won't be a big deal.  Extang has a tonneau fold up model that would let me keep it on when the bikes are on the bed.  The Roll n Lock is pretty much the same situation. It only takes up about 6 inches.  I like their Cargo Manager.  And the BaK-Flip lets you flip all the panels up and it looks like it has friction locks. Not sure if meant to drive with it up though. Will have to ask them.  A lot of choices.  The Extang Solid Fold 2.0 is nice.  Was thinking about the knife deal. Wasn't planning on leaving important stuff overnight or parked in a shitty location, but nice to know it would be a major hassle for some jackass to get into the bed.  Only down side is to get access to whole bed, you have to take the hard cover off.  But taking it off looks easy.  Easier than loading 225 lb dirt bikes.

Fold-a -cover stuff looks good too.

Siderman, a box would help but I'd need to remove it to fit our dirt bikes. And I think the box will block the front cleats I have to use to secure the bikes.  So for what I need to do, a cover is probably better.

Thanks for the choices.  Now I have a lot to think about.

Those are all nice.   It's 6-1/2 ft. So giving up 6 inches won't be a big deal.  Extang has a tonneau fold up model that would let me keep it on when the bikes are on the bed.  The Roll n Lock is pretty much the same situation. It only takes up about 6 inches.  I like their Cargo Manager.  And the BaK-Flip lets you flip all the panels up and it looks like it has friction locks. Not sure if meant to drive with it up though. Will have to ask them.  A lot of choices.  The Extang Solid Fold 2.0 is nice.  Was thinking about the knife deal. Wasn't planning on leaving important stuff overnight or parked in a shitty location, but nice to know it would be a major hassle for some jackass to get into the bed.  Only down side is to get access to whole bed, you have to take the hard cover off.  But taking it off looks easy.  Easier than loading 225 lb dirt bikes.

Siderman, a box would help but I'd need to remove it to fit our dirt bikes. And I think the box will block the front cleats I have to use to secure the bikes.  So for what I need to do, a cover is probably better.

Thanks for the choices.  Now I have a lot to think about.

of course you know whats best for you but a toolbox easily lifts in & out i did it all the time myself with my work trucks when I picked up mat'l or a trip to the scrap yard. Just need one bolt on each side to hold in place ,take them out to remove the box they weigh next to nothing empty.

Those are all nice. It's 6-1/2 ft. So giving up 6 inches won't be a big deal. Extang has a tonneau fold up model that would let me keep it on when the bikes are on the bed. The Roll n Lock is pretty much the same situation. It only takes up about 6 inches. I like their Cargo Manager. And the BaK-Flip lets you flip all the panels up and it looks like it has friction locks. Not sure if meant to drive with it up though. Will have to ask them. A lot of choices. The Extang Solid Fold 2.0 is nice. Was thinking about the knife deal. Wasn't planning on leaving important stuff overnight or parked in a shitty location, but nice to know it would be a major hassle for some jackass to get into the bed. Only down side is to get access to whole bed, you have to take the hard cover off. But taking it off looks easy. Easier than loading 225 lb dirt bikes.

Siderman, a box would help but I'd need to remove it to fit our dirt bikes. And I think the box will block the front cleats I have to use to secure the bikes. So for what I need to do, a cover is probably better.

Thanks for the choices. Now I have a lot to think about.

My father in law had the roll n lock on his Colorado. It was really nice secure and strong. Until he tried to roll it up one day with frozen ice in the tracks. That was the end of that cover. And it wasn't cheap.

My father in law had the roll n lock on his Colorado. It was really nice secure and strong. Until he tried to roll it up one day with frozen ice in the tracks. That was the end of that cover. And it wasn't cheap.

Had that prob too. One way or another, most may have some sort of ice prob. I use to bang on it a few times and that solved it. You know you can jump on them too.... :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Had that prob too. One way or another, most may have some sort of ice prob. I use to bang on it a few times and that solved it. You know you can jump on them too.... :)

Lol, he got pissed it wouldn't open. And forced it. Bye bye bed cover hahha. He turned into a twisted pile of scrap aluminum... I was like WTF, why would you do that? I tried to fix it, but it was never the same. Probably because he was a State worker for so many years, that's their mentality. :lol: But yeah when they work they're great I stood on his it didn't even flex, well built. The only Achilles heel is ice, and if you have common sense that shouldn't be a problem...

Lol, he got pissed it wouldn't open. And forced it. Bye bye bed cover hahha. He turned into a twisted pile of scrap aluminum... I was like WTF, why would you do that? I tried to fix it, but it was never the same. Probably because he was a State worker for so many years, that's their mentality. :lol:

Lmao... Mine froze when I was picking up my 56" TV... All paid for, ready to load and couldn't get it open on the effing coldest, windiest winter day. I can tell, ya, I had some choice words. I cursed so hard, it submitted to my yelling. Got it opened... Lmao. Never happens in most cases. But was one of those ice storms. What I did after that is loaded up the tracks with silicon lube. Worked fine in ice after that. Sort of like spraying your frying pans with Pam....

Lmao... Mine froze when I was picking up my 56" TV... All paid for, ready to load and couldn't get it open on the effing coldest, windiest winter day. I can tell, ya, I had some choice words. I cursed so hard, it submitted to my yelling. Got it opened... Lmao. Never happens in most cases. But was one of those ice storms. What I did after that is loaded up the tracks with silicon lube. Worked fine in ice after that. Sort of like spraying your frying pans with Pam....

Makes sense. I do the same thing with the snow shovels and the inside of my snow blower auger. Works!

I have a BakFlip G2 on my Nissan Frontier and love it.  They are very secure.  I have a friend with a rollup cover and his isn't nearly as strong.

Sider... will give a box some thought.  If they're light, it has a chance I guess.

Rolling covers look decent but I'm leaning toward a solid cover.   Both the Fold-a-Covers and Extangs look pretty good.  They all have something good. Just depends what you want it to do... or not do... the most.

You have side mirrors don't you?

Really, I drive a van around all day with no rear windows. I don't even use my rear view mirror in vehicles I own with back glass. Just becomes habit I suppose.

Like I said, it would bother me..I constantly scan all 3 mirrors, for years I towed the race bikes all over the country, constantly looking back lol..thats my habit ;)