Grendel327

Best town in north Jersey

Hi all. New guy here. I'm nj born and raised, but have lived in PA for the last 4 years. I now have to move back to NJ for work, so my question is, what town in north jersey is best for gun owners? I know all the general laws about magazine capacity, flash hiders, naughty features on rifles, etc.

I ask because I know that the issuing of FID cards and pistol permits can vary greatly from town to town. My buddy in Plainsboro had his FID and pistol permits in 3 weeks, but a co-worker in Jersey City said it took over 4 months. Seems like every town is different, and some are just awful.

So if you were moving to north jersey (most likelyBergen county) what town would you pick? I'm mainly concerned about the pistol permit as I sold mine a while ago and would like to buy another soon.

Thanks in advance

I can't comment on Bergen County, but if you're looking to move a bit north, Mt. Olive/Budd Lake/Flanders is 2-3 weeks, and very 2A friendly from what I've experienced. Also great schools (If that's a concern to you) and a great township overall as far as events and activities.

I've heard Montville is quite good.    Boonton not so much, not awful, but 30-60 days; it's hard to get a hold of the one detective responsible for the permits.

I've heard good things about Randolph, but only anecdotal.  I live in Fredon, it's an okay town but State Police do our paperwork.  Many folks complain about very long waits, while my last batch of permits came in just about five weeks.  ymmv.

Hopatcong Burrough 17 days for permits. And the largest lake in the state for fishing and we'll this too.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Need I say more? the public schools here do suck though. I would just send my kids to Catholic school if I had any. It's affordable since the taxes are low. I pay a little less than 10k.

Thanks guys. The wife and i both will be working in nyc, so an easy commute (prefferably train) would be important.

any info on Ridgewood or Rutherford?

Thanks!

Yeah one is in Bergen County, and the other is Passaic County. Both packed with liberal gun haters. If your stuck on being that far east, look at Wayne my father had a house in the Preakness section for years. Very nice area, full of conservatives. It's like an oasis of good people surrounded by a sea of shit. IMO anything east of Parsippany is bad! I take that back anything east of Denville/Mtn Lakes, is bad I wouldn't live in Parsippany either.

Yeah one is in Bergen County, and the other is Passaic County. Both packed with liberal gun haters. If your stuck on being that far east, look at Wayne my father had a house in the Preakness section for years. Very nice area, full of conservatives. It's like an oasis of good people surrounded by a sea of shit. IMO anything east of Parsippany is bad! I take that back anything east of Denville/Mtn Lakes, is bad I wouldn't live in Parsippany either.

both Brgn, get your lib hatin facts straight :icon_e_biggrin:

All in all, if I was moving, I'd commute across the state on Rt 80 and live in the Poconos.

Another consideration is southern NJ.  There are busses that leave every day from places like Mt Laurel that will put you in the port authority bus terminal in an hour and a half.  My father retired a long time ago, but did that commute for years.

EDIT - and they leave every 15 minutes-nonstops...free parking at Mt Laurel, commuter rates, and everyone snoozes on the bus.

Do you have kids? Look at school district information for ease of resale. How much are you looking to spend? Buy, rent, or lease? Do you commute to work?

Randolph is nice South of Rt. 10, but you're talking money to live there. You need to look at utility information as well. Some houses have oil heat, well water, and septic. I believe the high school was rated to 50 in the state.

Oh yeah and they're good about permits. Plenty of outdoor activities, parks, lake with beach, lots of trails, and one of the best indoor pistol ranges in the state.

I've heard Montville is quite good. Boonton not so much, not awful, but 30-60 days; it's hard to get a hold of the one detective responsible for the permits.

Last set of permits in Montville took 6 days.

Good schools,mreasonable taxes for NJ and CNN rates it in the top 20 places in the U.S to live. I'll sell you my house I'm moving to Florida.

I've applied for jobs in PA to get out of this hell hole. We're taxed so much, that a friend of mine who makes $10k less than I, takes home $500 more per check in PA. How do you explain that?

If I could move to PA and keep my job, I would.

I've applied for jobs in PA to get out of this hell hole. We're taxed so much, that a friend of mine who makes $10k less than I, takes home $500 more per check in PA. How do you explain that?

If I could move to PA and keep my job, I would.

Different number of allowances on W4 for tax withholdings.

Thanks guys. I don't want to move back to nj, but my company is closing myat office andat gave me two options; either take a promotion and a raise and work in nyc or hit the bricks.

Wife works in nyc already and was doing an almost 2hr commute 3 days a week and was hating life. We have a child in day care 3 days a week, so a long commute is out... kind of between a rock and a hard place, but its better than getting canned i guess.

I can't say about schools or police dept. processing times but if you look at the route 17 all towns round it have public transport to the city. I would look at schools and taxes to help determine a few towns to help narrow down your choices.

Honestly, I would optimize your commute into NYC first then worry about the P2P-friendly towns.  Like you said, if your NYC commute sucks then you will hate life.

Alot depends on where your office is (midtown or FiDi) and how you get in (bus to PABT, NJ Transit to NYP, PATH, or ferry).  Also factor in driving and parking where you catch the bus/train into NYC unless you are lucky and can walk to it.  Once you figure out the approx train/bus/ferry lines in, then you can find a town along the line that is P2P-friendly.

That being said, you mentioned you were planning to purchase a pistol soon.  I would just as soon do that now while you are a PA resident and legally bring it in with you when you move.  Why give the NJ gestapo the pleasure of papers or registration and paying various fees to obtain something you can get for a mere $5 PICS check in PA right now?

Just my $0.02...

Randolph is good. Got my last permits in 14 days. During the worst of the crazy period the longest it ever took was 28 days.

+1 great town, excellent demographic. Catch the train right in Dover, or Denville. Try to stay in Morris county is my advice.

Train runs from west to east: Landing (Roxbury twp), Mt. Arlington, through Wharton, Rockaway, Dover, Denville, Through Parsippany, Mtn Lakes, Boonton, Morris plains, Morristown and on to Hoboken. Take the path into Hell on earth. That's a lot of Morris county towns to check out. All decent towns to live in. Conservative county and RTSP. Probably also some of the highest property taxes in NJ, but small price to pay to live around good people.

+1 great town, excellent demographic. Catch the train right in Dover, or Denville. Try to stay in Morris county is my advice. Train runs from west to east: Landing (Roxbury twp), Mt. Arlington, through Wharton, Rockaway, Dover, Denville, Through Parsippany, Mtn Lakes, Boonton, Morris plains, Morristown and on to Hoboken. Take the path into Hell on earth. That's a lot of Morris county towns to check out. All decent towns to live in. Conservative county and RTSP. Probably also some of the highest property taxes in NJ, but small price to pay to live around good people.

It's amazing that we're the last stop on what you would call a sliver of America...

It's amazing that we're the last stop on what you would call a sliver of America...

Even here were behind enemy lines. For you it's 22 miles to America. 24 for me. I plan on closing that distance to 0. I feel bad for this guy he's going the opposite direction... luckily for me the entire country needs there toilets to flush. If NYC was the only city with plumbing, I would have been an electrician B)