MedicYeti

Window Security Film

I've been doing research and am interested in window security film. It doesn't make a window indestructible but will slow an intruder giving the home owner time to react. There are a number of impressive reviews and YouTube videos. I haven't been able to find many bad reviews, one that faulted the person who applied the film. I spoke to my neighbor who does tinting and window applications professionally. He said that the security films are a waste of money but couldn't give more insight then that.

So...

Do any of you have experience with the security films? Good, bad? Thoughts.

Is there anyone on the forum who does professional instillation of the films in the Cape May County area?

My uncles house was broken into, the theives literally kocked out the entire window frame without breaking the glass. Window film might stop kids breaking your window but it won't stop anyone with the least bit of experience. Mind you i'm in no way an authority on this subject, just sharing what i've seen and heard.

Sent from my LG-G4 using Tapatalk

I just had new windows put in and I asked about security film. They were JUST getting tooled up to apply it, but it wasn't cheap... $35/window PANE (so $70/window). they did apply it to the glass before it was mounted into the frame, so there was that. I didn't spring for it.

I can't imagine a layer of any film making much of a difference. Possibly if the film was sandwiched in the glass layers like a car windshield. These guys are in nj and make a quality solution. http://www.realsteelsecurity.com/

He is a friend of mine for years and does nice work.

Other than that I would go with the dog and can of wasp spray backed up by a 357.

My parent's friends house was robbed a few years ago.  The bad guys just took a chainsaw to the wall of the house by the back deck and cut through the siding and the sheetrock and were in.  Police said there were in faster than breaking a window.

I personally wouldn't invest in fortifying house. There are just too many vulnerabilities to address within cost. Dogs and Firearms.

Mostly this. Make yourself an undesirable target for a B&E.

Security system. Dog(s). People who commit these types of crimes don't want attention brought to themselves. They want easy in and out access. Don't make it easy for them.

The window film may be a nice theory, but in practical application, I don't think it would slow a would be thief down. If they want to get in, they will.

The best deterrent is making yourself undesireable as a potential target.

I don't have delusions of my home being some sort of fortress. I am well aware of how quickly someone can break into the average house and I have taken some steps to make breaking in a little harder. Someone can get in, I'd just like to slow the process a little. I have set an alarm in the middle of the night and have learned that I can be awakened, moving and armed in less than 15 seconds. I'd like my home defenses to last 20 seconds. my big picture window is currently my weakest point.

Yeah, I agree with everyone else here, security film doesn't seem worth the trouble or cost.

My game plan (eventually) is to have a combination of the following.

• A decent sized dog
  • Security system window decals/signs (whether or not it's true doesn't matter - if they see that, they'll think twice)
  • My own home-built Raspberry Pi based security system (camera's, sensors, etc., which will also be connected to... see next point)
  • Home-built RPi home automation system.  This can be a deterrent in a few ways such as being able to turn things on/off remotely, or automate such things so people will think you're home even if you're actually away on vacation
  • My fists/feet
  • Knives/the meat tenderizer in the kitchen utensil drawer
  • Firearm

I have two well trained Bullmastiffs--literally strong as oxen and an amazing pain tolerance.  I'd almost like to see if the training was worth the investment.  Any volunteers?   :)  Oh, and I have a bunch of guns if you should survive the 250 combined lbs of fangs and muscle.  

I don't even think you need a large dog, just a noisy one. Loud enough to draw attention.

Add to that:

Security cameras.

Alarm system.

Motion activated lights. The home automation system is a good idea too.

Even your landscaping can be a deterrent. Plant placement, type of plants, and so on. I have a big cactus near a somewhat accessible window. It would be a bitch to get around that cactus to get access to the window.

You don't have to make your home a fortress, but you do need to be a harder target than the other houses in your area.

Yeah, I agree with everyone else here, security film doesn't seem worth the trouble or cost.

* A decent sized dog

* Security system window decals/signs (whether or not it's true doesn't matter - if they see that, they'll think twice)

* My own home-built Raspberry Pi based security system (camera's, sensors, etc., which will also be connected to... see next point)

* Home-built RPi home automation system. This can be a deterrent in a few ways such as being able to turn things on/off remotely, or automate such things so people will think you're home even if you're actually away on vacation

* My fists/feet

* Knives/the meat tenderizer in the kitchen utensil drawer

* Firearm

How about just having a gun in the kitchen ? It's so much less messy ...

* A decent sized dog

* Security system window decals/signs (whether or not it's true doesn't matter - if they see that, they'll think twice)

* My own home-built Raspberry Pi based security system (camera's, sensors, etc., which will also be connected to... see next point)

* Home-built RPi home automation system. This can be a deterrent in a few ways such as being able to turn things on/off remotely, or automate such things so people will think you're home even if you're actually away on vacation

* My fists/feet

* Knives/the meat tenderizer in the kitchen utensil drawer

* Firearm

How about just having a gun in the kitchen ? It's so much less messy ...

It is, but in this state it's probably a worse crime to use a gun than it is something else.  Not too mention, not everyone in the house can handle there being a gun available, plus if someone enters my home to attack me and my family, I'd rather watch them suffer.