Sig226GuyNJ

Are most internet gun guys full of $hit?

I keep seeing claims of people saying they can shoot a fist sized group at 25 yards freestyle. I see claims of 1 inch groups at 10 yards freestyle, etc, yet there is never any proof? Are most of these internet gun guys full of shit when they claim to get groups like that? I'm not saying it's impossible but it seems everyone on the internet is a great shot. I consider myself a decent shot, nothing special, but not horrible either. I can't imagine shooting a 10 shot, fist sized group at 25 yards. What do you guys say?

ETA: Here is one such claim on another website.

I would think that my problem is, just like you said, with the trigger. I traded a accurate shooting Sig SP2022, it's a DA/SA, that is just not comfortable to grip. At 25 feet I can get 3" five shot groups at the center of the target using WWB and some reloads. With the M&P best I can get is 4" five shot groups left of center using the same rounds and distance.

This is my first pistol with a trigger safety and I could probably blame that on trigger control which should get better with practice. i'm not the best shot but I can do 2" five shot groups, sometime better at that same distance with my 1911. biggrin.gif"

Here's another claim. He claims he can shoot a quarter sized group at 15 yards. If anyone here says "Yea, I can shoot like that", I want to see video of it.

I have six M&P's. Four FS (3- 9's and a FS 45) and ALL were tack drivers right out of the box and keep getting better. They all keep a quarter size group at 15 yards. The more I shoot my Shield,the better it's getting too. M&P 22 just needs a good breaking in. It won't out do my High Standard,but I didn't expect it to.

A good shooter, firing slow fire with an accurate handgun can probably hold a fist size group for ten shots at 25 yards! Same thing for 1 inch groups at 10 yards. I have a Beretta 92 and a .38 S&W revolver that I might be able to do it with. I honestly have never tried, but next time I go to the handgun range I will see if I can.

I can typically keep it in a 4 inch circle at 25 yards.

Here is 8 shots with a Revolver , shooting double action.

proof, cause you'll just have to take my word for it.... the two to right of the 4 inch circle, well.... Dont worry about those little guys. 

11159550_10204003035261699_2957337837979

Well to qualify to become a NRA pistol instructor you must shoot a group with an ES of six inches at 15 yards as one step in the qualification.  A timed and rapid fire target in Bullseye has a 5.5" bullseye target.at 25 yards.  So, I would say with a lot of practice, it is very possible.  Lot's of other factors to consider in such a broad statement.  

Slowfire off hand at 25 yards, if I have my shit together, my groups are between 3 to 4 inches. I know this because I occasionally test my gun accuracy with various loads.  I'd call that fist sized.  Go see a what a bullseye shooter can shoot, they'd put  Alec and certainly me to shame. Or Bianchi people, they are machines. 

I don't think shooting fist size groups at 25 yards is some inhuman feat, I'm a pretty terrible shooter most days so if I can do it then it can't be that hard, but keep in kind that the gun itself needs to be able to do that as well. If my group is 4", there is a good chance the gun in a mechanical rest will do a lot better. If the gun can only do 4" in a rest, then my group will probably be 8". 

Slowfire off hand at 25 yards, if I have my shit together, my groups are between 3 to 4 inches. I know this because I occasionally test my gun accuracy with various loads.  I'd call that fist sized.  Go see a what a bullseye shooter can shoot, they'd put  Alec and certainly me to shame. Or Bianchi people, they are machines. 

I don't think shooting fist size groups at 25 yards is some inhuman feat, I'm a pretty terrible shooter most days so if I can do it then it can't be that hard, but keep in kind that the gun itself needs to be able to do that as well. If my group is 4", there is a good chance the gun in a mechanical rest will do a lot better. If the gun can only do 4" in a rest, then my group will probably be 8". 

Of course it's not impossible. I just see sooooo many ppl claim they can do this or that. You can shoot too. I've seen you shoot. I've seen Alec shoot. Both of you are above average shooters that are probably capable of fist sized groups at 25 yards. But soooo many people claim they can shoot these tiny little groups, yet every single time I'm at the range, my groups are always better than other's, and I'm not a great shot.

A good shooter, firing slow fire with an accurate handgun can probably hold a fist size group for ten shots at 25 yards! Same thing for 1 inch groups at 10 yards. I have a Beretta 92 and a .38 S&W revolver that I might be able to do it with. I honestly have never tried, but next time I go to the handgun range I will see if I can.

I'll invite you to CJ. We can use either the 25 yard outdoor pistol range, of 27 feet indoor range. I'd love to see you shoot 1 inch groups at 30 feet while standing. Not saying you can't, I'd just like to see you back up your claim. ;)

I don't know about you guys but I can barely even notice a 2-6" movement on my sights at a 25 yard target, even more so at 50 yards.  You guys that shoot that distance must have really good eye sight...  I'm just kinda aiming at a general area at 25 yards

So like everything else people are going to exaggerate sometimes, but don't discount that there are lots of people out there who like to shoot groups. I don't hangout with bullseye shooters but there are lots of them about and they can shoot crazy groups. 

I agree but I'm not talking about bullseye shooters that have 2k into their pistols and all they do is shoot bullseye. I'm talking about taking a stock or mostly stock striker fired (combat pistol) and shooting these groups at 25 yards. I just see sooooooo many people claim they can do this or that, but never post any proof of it.

A fist size group at 25 and a 1" group at 10 are far from being fairy tales. Many shooters are satisfied with mediocre performance and just don't want to spend the time, energy, and ammunition to get better.

Let's see you do it. I never said it was fairy tales. All I'm saying is I bet the majority of people who claim they can do it on the internet, can't. And I bet the majority of the people who really can do it, never post it up on the internet. But yea, let's see you do it, unless you're satisfied with "mediocre" performance.

Lots of bullseye shooters at my club (SCFGPA).  I have seen guys that can easily shoot 4 inch groups at 25 yards and that is shooting with one hand.  A B16 NRA target (25 yards slow fire) has a ten ring of 1.5" and have seen guys nail it.  So it is definitely not impossible.  However most people I see at the range can't hold 8" groups at 7 yards...

I've seen fist size groups at 25 with a stock 2" Model 60 S&W so it's not about putting a couple of thousand in a gun.

Again, let's see you do this. Go to the range, with a range finder preferably. If not, we'll have to take your word for it. But record yourself and then walk to the target without stopping the video. Let's see if it's as easy as you claim it to be. Again, I'm not saying it's impossible .All I'm saying is most of the claims are bullshit unless they are proving it by showing video of it.

i think most " factory " guns are more then capable of shooting 1"-3" at 25 yards , how consistent depends on the user. 

Vlad makes alot of good points, while shooting good groups at 25 is difficult, it's certainly not out of the realm for most shooters.

Though, there is alot of bullshit out there, people claiming they can hit 4" head shot " double taps " while sprinting backwards with one hand.

"AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL" comes immediately to mind.  I can give anyone here a run for their money, and I have awesome respect for Vlad and Alec's accomplishments both as shooters and friends.

It's all about shooting discipline and using the basics.  Having superior equipment that's capable of that sort of accuracy gives one the opportunity to produce results such as are in Alec's video, but only with extensive practice.  I consider myself a decent shot, and I shoot PPC (B-27 & B-34 Silhouette Targets--what I'm the Match Director for at Old Bridge) with Bullseye shooters (friends & hunting companions of mine) that can shoot rings around me strong-hand only.  Where I can nail them is weak-hand only or just being mediocre at Action shooting (IDPA and USPSA) since it's a foreign concept to most of them to put PAIRS of aimed shots into a target with any rapidity.  I can tell tales of taking a friend's out-of-the-box Glock and putting 2 rounds into the X-ring thru the same hole at 15 yards from a bench rest to prove to him that the guns' sights were OK.  When I was younger (Alec's age) my Model 29 would routinely hit 1-gal (empty) paint cans at 100 yards at the old Englishtown Range.  Lately, with an even harder challenge, I've hit a set of Scott Air Tanks hanging from a tree limb (welded together) using my Uberti Colt Walker black powder Cap and Ball revolver at 135 measured yards strong-hand only, 4 out of 6 times with an entire shooting club as witnesses.  Quite a feat since the huge gun weighs almost 5 pounds loaded! 

So yes, some of the stuff on the internet is BS!  Then spend two weeks or so at Old Bridge or CJ and go to a few leagues and then come back and report your results.  You'll be surprised I assure you.