checko

Rifle for HD? This guy thinks you're wrong.

Yes. We use that if we can't find the Federal TRU in stock. It is practically the same round.

Are these the 62 gr rounds in the PPT that you posted?  

http://www.ammunitiondepot.com/223-Ammo-Federal-LE-Tactical-223-55-Gr-SP-p/t223a.htm

Are these the 62 gr rounds in the PPT that you posted?

http://www.ammunitiondepot.com/223-Ammo-Federal-LE-Tactical-223-55-Gr-SP-p/t223a.htm

That link is to 55gr. Also, I am unsure what exact round was tested in the ATF study.

What do you guys think of these for HD? The gel tests look good!

FAAE223GTV__20200.1395806844.1280.1280.j

Dunno. They say varmint round so they are likely 55gr or under. A round that light would not be my first choice for a SD round.

I must say this thread is refreshing..... It has been very informative and nobody has called anyone else a douche.

I've thought a lot about hd strategy after reading this thread. Having the perfect firearm and perfect ammo is useless unless you know what to do, and what not to do when you need it. I'd add that recognizing that you need it is also key.

In general I don't expect to clear my home. My #1 goal is to notify PD and get my family to a defendable position. During the day/evening when everyone is spread out that might be herding everyone to basement. At night that's probably the bathroom (addition so interior wall is old thick brick exterior wall, and cast-iron tub). Either setting may require advancing through the house. Once in position it's shelter in place until help arrives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dunno. They say varmint round so they are likely 55gr or under. A round that light would not be my first choice for a SD round.

Wasn't there a study a few months ago that compared a few diff types and grains of 223? While they weren't the top of the list I thought there were some 55g with excellent performance. It prompted me to get some TAP.

Yes there are plenty of 55gr rounds out there that are adequate - especially out of longer barrels. I have some Fed TRU 55gr soft nose that is great. The heavier rounds came about when the 14.5"- 11.5" guns came into play for the majority of the infantry. There is no freeing and with lighter and handier guns came decreased effective range/terminal effects. The extra weight of the projectile lets the shorter guns be almost as effective as the longer guns at similar ranges.

Keep in mind though, even though they may be same weight, rounds designed to take out groundhogs and prairie does may not be the best bet against 2 legged predators. There are plenty of .223/5.56 rounds out there designed to be effective against humans and still limit penetration through domestic construction materials. From 55gr through 77gr.

The only reason I responded to Rob that the ammo linked was 55gr was because he asked if they were the 62gr we were discussing.

I must say this thread is refreshing..... It has been very informative and nobody has called anyone else a douche.

I've thought a lot about hd strategy after reading this thread. Having the perfect firearm and perfect ammo is useless unless you know what to do, and what not to do when you need it. I'd add that recognizing that you need it is also key.

In general I don't expect to clear my home. My #1 goal is to notify PD and get my family to a defendable position. During the day/evening when everyone is spread out that might be herding everyone to basement. At night that's probably the bathroom (addition so interior wall is old thick brick exterior wall, and cast-iron tub). Either setting may require advancing through the house. Once in position it's shelter in place until help arrives.

You're a douche

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I need a production crew and a camera man we are go. I have the script half written. First I shred a target with a .223 double tap and I show everyone how small the holes are. Then I take a might swing with the mace, and show everyone whats left of the paper target.

And then we do the ballistic gel substitute test where I pound the crap out of a few fruit cups in gel.  I see an Emmy in our future.