mikeyjones

Anyone getting a spot for tesla 3

We thought about it but the nearest dealer is five hours away and Tesla needs to build at least one more supercharging station between us and Chicago to make it work.  I'm sure we'll end up with a Tesla of some sort within the next five years as both my wife and I want one as a commuter.

My very good buddy works for tesla in sales. He's very optimistic about the 3. As a side note doing 0-100 in a p95d with ludicrous mode is AWESOME! The self driving is amazing and scary at the same time

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I too want a car that can be remotely taken over by someone who is one hollowed out volcano short of a super villain or whatever government that can get the keys from him. 

Oh wait, not that, no, the exact opposite of that. 

People bitch about on-star being able to track their movements and disabled their car so I don't know why anyone would seriously consider a vehicle that can track you more then facebook. You think automatic windows updates are bad? Wait until the automatic car OS update leaves you stranded. 

• Like 2

I too want a car that can be remotely taken over by someone who is one hollowed out volcano short of a super villain or whatever government that can get the keys from him.

People bitch about on-star being able to track their movements and disabled their car so I don't know why anyone would seriously consider a vehicle that can track you more then facebook. You think automatic windows updates are bad? Wait until the automatic car OS update leaves you stranded.

Have you read Predator One by Jonathan Mayberry? It's part of the Joe Ledger series and is all about drones and autonomous vehicles being hacked and how they could be used against us. It's fiction but the Joe Ledger series as a whole is very well written

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

My current car has a similar system and it's never interfered with my day to day activities. I admit I was apprehensive at first about having a car that can track me at all times.

But I actually like the convenience it provides. If I forget where I parked, I can see it on my phone. If I want to air out the car while I'm still working, I can hit a button on my phone. If i lock my keys inside the car somehow, I can call a # and have it unlocked. If it gets stolen, it can be slowed down and remotely disabled.

Tesla takes these conveniences to a new level. I'm willing to pay for luxury and knowingly give up some privacy since the car can track me.

If I was that paranoid, I'd only use burner phones and stay off the Internet forever. As well as drive a 1970 ford pickup...

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Trading privacy for comfort? Neat ;)

Can I interest you in a smart gun?

I knew that was coming next. Very different argument.

A gun doesn't give me comfort. It doesn't add to my daily activities. I don't find myself wishing that my gun had smart features.

I spend much more time in my car than I do with my guns.

Like i said, unless you're completely off the grid, you are already trading privacy for comfort. By the simple fact you're on this site, I see that's not the case.

So I'd like to keep this thread on topic and return to the original question about whether anyone else reserved a model 3?

• Like 1

Got a Tesla in my town ( Paramus ), might take a look at one if they ever get one in the showroom, but being a fossil I prefer to use like fuels.  Only takes a couple of min to fill er up, and gas stations are everywhere.

If you want to put around town in your fancy golf cart, so be it.

Probably should also look into if your utility company offers discounts for car chargers, many do.

• Like 1

I would have to see one first. I ain't putting money down on something that just exists as vapor right now. No details, no money... There's been 0 info about it other than "it's smaller than a Model S and $35k."

It's about the size of an audi a4.

All details will come out tonight. But deposit is fully refundable until you start building your car. Which is projected for Oct 17 right now.

It's about the size of an audi a4.

All details will come out tonight. But deposit is fully refundable until you start building your car. Which is projected for Oct 17 right now.

Fully refundable... but why let them make interest on my money when I have no details?

and "Size of an Audi A4" means nothing to me...

Fully refundable... but why let them make interest on my money when I have no details?

and "Size of an Audi A4" means nothing to me...

Agreed but only thing I'll say is that right now most I can get in a bank account is 1.1% that's greatly outweighed by the 7500 in federal tax incentives for getting a tesla before they sell 200k cars.

Therefore I'm willing to plunk down the money and can pull it back at any time.

• Like 1

I can see it now.  Recharging at home, or office, or on the road. No motor fuel tax being collected. I wonder how long before we get taxed for electricity to cover it?  This is the nanny state ya know.

I can see it now. Recharging at home, or office, or on the road. No motor fuel tax being collected. I wonder how long before we get taxed for electricity to cover it? This is the nanny state ya know.

In the distant future maybe. Tesla sales will do very little to offset gas sales. My office building of 900 people will have 4-5 chargers. That gives you a data point on how many cars they're selling.

Very curious how they'll get that data

Registration information? Yearly inspection station? Your car telling them whenever you pass a lamp post with a scanner? Tesla telling them for you? Government drones flying over you assigned parking spot? Banning private ownership and having all the Uber cars pay taxes?

Registration information? Yearly inspection station? Your car telling them whenever you pass a lamp post with a scanner? Tesla telling them for you? Government drones flying over you assigned parking spot? Banning private ownership and having all the Uber cars pay taxes?

The tax would have to be applied across all cars evenly. So older cars wouldn't be able to report electronically. Out of state drivers wouldn't be subject to yearly inspection. I'm not going to address the other ones.

I agree with you that the government isn't going to like lost revenue, but I don't see anything in the works in the near term for them to replace it.

I've been wrong before...

The tax would have to be applied across all cars evenly. So older cars wouldn't be able to report electronically. Out of state drivers wouldn't be subject to yearly inspection. I'm not going to address the other ones.

I agree with you that the government isn't going to like lost revenue, but I don't see anything in the works in the near term for them to replace it.

I've been wrong before...

I thought it started at 8:30 PT?

Sorry, saw you can go to a showroom at 10 am.  I'd like to get one but don't feel like standing in line.  Congrats to any who did.  

You are not thinking like a government official. They will demand some form of ODBII reader they can plug into your car like the insurance people offer now. If your care doesn't have an ODBII thingie they'll require you to get your car inspected once a year (it is old after all) and record your millage and send you a bill. 

Out of state drivers will be issued some form of easypass like device that will keep track of their millage and they'll pay their fee when they leave the state. Failure to do so by using back roads will gets your a bench warrant.

As you can imagine.... I am old school....  I think Hybrid cars are purely a marketing ploy ..... BUT

I think Tesla has a Brilliant Marketing Strategy and I think their products are being made for the right reasons and with great results....

Actually I think the exact opposite.  Battery cars are the marketing ploy while hybrids really do save energy.  Now with the price of gasoline neither makes much economic sense, but once gas goes back to normal costs hybrids make a lot of sense.  The only way a car like a Tesla makes sense is if they can get charging times down to the equivalent of the time you spend to fuel a normal car.  What would make the most sense is a common swappable battery pack where you go to a "gas station" and they swap out the discharged pack with a full one in under 5 minutes.  Even with supercharging that takes 20 minutes or more, who wants to waste that time.  Who wants to have range anxiety either?  I just don't want to have to plan ahead to make a 300 mile trip figuring exactly where I need to stop.  The concept of the Chevy Volt (maybe not the implementation) is a great one.  Electric with an onboard gasoline generator so you have no range issues.