mikeyjones

Anyone getting a spot for tesla 3

It's so cute when people try to paint someone who disagrees with them as "angry".

I don't care what you drive, I'm just pointing out the absurdity of your argument. I'm not giving up anything either. It's strange that you think I'd put $1000 down and many more in the future to "give up" something. You still haven't explained how an electric vehicle is a liability in a hurricane compared to a gasoline vehicle, and keep in mind you made that point in reference to public charging points.

I am looking forward to this vehicle because it suits my needs better than anything else near its price point. If it doesn't work for you, fine, just say that and move on, instead of the continuing the ridiculous points you're making. It shows you are the one emotionally attached, trying to convince people not to buy it because you don't like it. Not sure what would compel you to make that effort.

So up to this point I didn't call you ridiculous, cute, absurd, biased, and so on but you seem really attached to your future toy, one you haven't even seen in person yet. You do seem upset. Are you sure you are ok?

In any case .... best of luck to you with your future purchase, I hope it works for you.

Also because because I'm apparently prescient or something about a car I never seen but it is a car you know it is perfect even though you've never seen, this is what concerned me with the storage: http://jalopnik.com/this-is-the-tesla-model-3s-biggest-design-fail-1768467573

But hey, I really hope it works for you.

So up to this point I didn't call you ridiculous, cute, absurd, biased, and so on but you seem really attached to your future toy, one you haven't even seen in person yet. You do seem upset. Are you sure you are ok?

In any case .... best of luck to you with your future purchase, I hope it works for you.

Also because because I'm apparently prescient or something about a car I never seen but it is a car you know it is perfect even though you've never seen, this is what concerned me with the storage: http://jalopnik.com/this-is-the-tesla-model-3s-biggest-design-fail-1768467573

But hey, I really hope it works for you.

Not upset at all, that is just what you have to tell yourself because you can't understand why someone would want something different from you.  I also never said it was perfect, but you know all about strawmans, right?   There are plenty of things that in the prototype I'm not ecstatic about, but the pluses still outweigh the negatives for me.  Do you insert yourself in every thread where someone want's to know who ordered a new product and proceed to explain how it doesn't live up to your lofty yet arbitrary standards?

Nope.

It's ugly and the electric vehicle thing simply is not as useful or convenient as gas engine vehicles. Even though a car like the BMW I8 is amazing, I wouldn't buy one yet. As a third vehicle it might be interesting....but I don't need a third vehicle.

Fully refundable... but why let them make interest on my money when I have no details?

and "Size of an Audi A4" means nothing to me...

Only reason I can think of is that they are at something like 200k reservations and don't have the capacity to make them. so if your slot comes up, you can probably flip your reservation for more than the interest your'd make. I'll bet more than a few deposits are planning that though. Even if the small print doesn't let you, if you can buy it and get the rebates, then sell it on for MSRP to someone who NEEDS to be seen in one, you make some nice bank. 

At some point down the road, a non-gasoline vehicle will either use a different energy source that can be replenished as quickly as filling up with gas. Either a fuel cell that's practical or someone may figure out how to transfer huge amounts of energy into a storage medium without melting the whole vehicle.

But we've got a while before someone figures that out.

No...not the battery swap...but an innovative start to addressing one of the problems.

It's so cute when people try to paint someone who disagrees with them as "angry".

I don't care what you drive, I'm just pointing out the absurdity of your argument. I'm not giving up anything either. It's strange that you think I'd put $1000 down and many more in the future to "give up" something. You still haven't explained how an electric vehicle is a liability in a hurricane compared to a gasoline vehicle, and keep in mind you made that point in reference to public charging points.

I am looking forward to this vehicle because it suits my needs better than anything else near its price point. If it doesn't work for you, fine, just say that and move on, instead of the continuing the ridiculous points you're making. It shows you are the one emotionally attached, trying to convince people not to buy it because you don't like it. Not sure what would compel you to make that effort.

i wonder if people in nyc and north jersey would be able to charge their cars after sandy? or in new orleans after katrina? or in the midwest after shit's been leveled by a couple tornadoes?

electric has a future. it ain't here yet.

i wonder if people in nyc and north jersey would be able to charge their cars after sandy? or in new orleans after katrina? or in the midwest after shit's been leveled by a couple tornadoes?

electric has a future. it ain't here yet.

Again, if the grid is down, you're not getting gas either. Maybe you shouldn't buy a car that isn't also a boat, since many of those vehicles were under water.

just read a bit on the supercharging stations. apparently, up to half charge in half an hour? that right there kills it. a battery swapping plan of some sort would be better........pull in, refill, and gone, in the same amount of time it takes to fill a tank of fuel.

also.....fuck if i'm gonna give up my v8.

Again, if the grid is down, you're not getting gas either. Maybe you shouldn't buy a car that isn't also a boat, since many of those vehicles were under water.

understood sir. BUT.........as previously mentioned........you can store gas ahead of time. i personally had over 50 gallons of gas stored when i thought sandy was gonna screw us down here..........

• Like 1

This whole electric car sounds great on paper, but I'll wait until the real world evaluations come in.  My Spidey senses are still tingling over this battery operated thing.  Want to see how it runs in a NE winter environment.  Time will tell.  I don't mine being on the leading edge, just not the bleeding edge of technology. 

This whole electric car sounds great on paper, but I'll wait until the real world evaluations come in. My Spidey senses are still tingling over this battery operated thing. Want to see how it runs in a NE winter environment. Time will tell. I don't mine being on the leading edge, just not the bleeding edge of technology.

I can tell you first hand it will cut the range up to 40%. So take that into account. I understand range anxiety, and they aren't for everyone yet, but for me they work now. In the near future, they should make it for everyone, and once you drive one, you'll feel like everything else is a compromise.

just read a bit on the supercharging stations. apparently, up to half charge in half an hour? that right there kills it. a battery swapping plan of some sort would be better........pull in, refill, and gone, in the same amount of time it takes to fill a tank of fuel.

also.....fuck if i'm gonna give up my v8.

Still too slow.  Full charge in 120 seconds.

Different storage than what we call batteries now.  More like a zero leakage capacitor the size of a cement truck with a discharge system that regulates output power from the stored energy medium.  And that doesn't require liquid nitrogen to cool the apparatus during inflow of energy.

Doesn't exist yet though.

Like...a rail gun in reverse.... sort of...  sorry.. best metaphor I could come up with.  Not technically accurate.

Still too slow.  Full charge in 120 seconds.

Different storage than what we call batteries now.  More like a zero leakage capacitor the size of a cement truck with a discharge system that regulates output power from the stored energy medium.  And that doesn't require liquid nitrogen to cool the apparatus during inflow of energy.

Doesn't exist yet though.

Like...a rail gun in reverse.... sort of...  sorry.. best metaphor I could come up with.  Not technically accurate.

that's my point. they've got a long way to go. 

Fully refundable... but why let them make interest on my money when I have no details?

and "Size of an Audi A4" means nothing to me...

You mean the 0.001 percent you're getting.

There's a $7500 incentive from goverment but only until they sell 200k cars. Not sure of details but you can google if interested.

Interesting but I don't need a new car. I walk to train. Think I've put about 35k miles on my car in 10 years.

You mean the 0.001 percent you're getting.

There's a $7500 incentive from goverment but only until they sell 200k cars. Not sure of details but you can google if interested.

Interesting but I don't need a new car. I walk to train. Think I've put about 35k miles on my car in 10 years.

so wait?? WE THE PEOPLE are financing tesla for this shit??????

I don't like that either. but that's like saying  "tommy did it, so why can't i?"

you gonna share yours with all of us since we're all helping to make it affordable? :)

I'm not counting on any rebate.  It's just funny to see the outrage about a product that you are against, while no issues with gasoline being made cheaper by the oil subsidies.

I will be happy to take you for a spin once I get it though.  Range and ride day maybe?

gasoline isn't being made cheaper by subsidies. the oil companies could easily stand on their own without those subsidies, i dunno why the govt does it, other than they're in the pockets.......but it's a practice i'd like to see stopped.

gasoline isn't being made cheaper by subsidies. the oil companies could easily stand on their own without those subsidies, i dunno why the govt does it, other than they're in the pockets.......but it's a practice i'd like to see stopped.

So, take away their subsidies and you expect the prices to stay the same?  And I agree, I would also like to see it stopped.

Edit to add...

So, it seems the subsidies might not effect the price of gasoline, and maybe isn't such a bad thing.  More research needed.....

http://www.forbes.com/sites/energysource/2012/04/25/the-surprising-reason-that-oil-subsidies-persist-even-liberals-love-them/#75b1e39d1e86

that's gonna be an interesting read.....but i'll stop at the part about farmers for now.

do you know why we have diesel engines? we have them, because rudolf diesel invented that engine to run on peanut oil. essentially so that farmers could be self sufficient, and make their own fuel. it wasn't till one of the oil companies(esso at the time i think) came up with a way to market the waste that was produced in refining crude oil into gasoline that we got diesel fuel.

so no.....i don't think farmers should get a tax exemption on their fuel either. i think that they should be allowed to produce their OWN fuel.

i don't think that there should be ANY tax breaks, esPECIALLY for bitter companies that will undoubtedly have lawyers that will know how to game the game......  flat tax. 1 rate for everyone. period. but....that's getting us totally off topic now, lololol

I'm not counting on any rebate. It's just funny to see the outrage about a product that you are against, while no issues with gasoline being made cheaper by the oil subsidies.

I will be happy to take you for a spin once I get it though. Range and ride day maybe?

The dominant factor in oil price is supply. Thats whats been going on. There's been more supply. And.... If Obama hadnt restricted leases to drill on fed land in theIS, the prices would be lower than they are now. Increases in oil production in the US is all from private land. Production is down on fed land.

So ..ironically.. But no surprise... Back when gas was $4 / gallon... The left was saying "we can't drill our way out of this.." But.. We actually could "drill" our way out of that. But few middle eastern states did it for us.

The dominant factor in oil price is supply. Thats whats been going on. There's been more supply. And.... If Obama hadnt restricted leases to drill on fed land in theIS, the prices would be lower than they are now. Increases in oil production in the US is all from private land. Production is down on fed land.

Got it. I already posted a Forbes article that stated that, since I do challenge my own assumptions as well. Keeps me honest. :)

I don't know much about the oil subsidies but I think they are tax breaks. If thats true, at least in part, i think its more like they are incentives to reinvest rather that underwrite the cost of their product. From what I recall, oil companies reinvest huge amounts of their revenue into exploration and technology. Not really sure what impact that has on prices. But they catch a lot of crap for making money, but their margins aren't any bigger than other companies.

what i gathered from the remainder of that article that darren linked......they have gone and perverted the definition of subsidies. they seem to want to include helping poor people buy heating oil as a subsidy to the oil companies, when in fact it is not......

what i gathered from the remainder of that article that darren linked......they have gone and perverted the definition of subsidies. they seem to want to include helping poor people buy heating oil as a subsidy to the oil companies, when in fact it is not......

Yep looks that way, and while it is a subsidy, it's not really to the oil companies. And I'm all for it, if it costs me a Starbuck coffee a year to prevent some retiree from freezing to death, I'm ok with that.