CyclingCraig

Frustrating Range Session - Venting

Just venting....

Went to the range last night for some pistol practice..

Shooting from 10 yards, grouping was not tight and kinda random... basically sucked...

Wasn't too crazy off center., but bad grouping  maybe like 5 inches?? Uhhh.. Slow down, breath control, trigger control, check grip....  got better toward end of session, but still frustrating. 

Just want to go back today and work on it more but time and family doesn't allow for daily trips to the range :)

Thanks for listening..... (end venting)

• Like 1

Don't stress too much over it.  Some days at the range I shoot like a champ, other days like a chump.  It's supposed to be fun.  Even on your worst days, you would be pretty effective in a gun fight.  

I read somewhere that we improve the most if we cheer our good shots and shrug off the bad ones.  It has to do with chemicals released by the brain, and reinforcing neural pathways.  We tend to do the opposite, to be tough on ourselves.  But research shows that we benefit most from not being too tough on ourselves.  

Thanks guys!

Yeah, at least I was at the range.  And a bad day at the range is still better than any good day at work!

It's always feels good to shoot, and like @oldglockguy said, it is really important to stay positive and concentrate on the success not the failure

I'll shoot better next time.

• Like 1

Thanks guys!

Yeah, at least I was at the range. And a bad day at the range is still better than any good day at work!

It's always feels good to shoot, and like @oldglockguy said, it is really important to stay positive and concentrate on the success not the failure

I'll shoot better next time.

That's the spirit !

You suck.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I couldn't have even seen the balloon. How the hell could I shoot it? LOL 

And I know I suck. Thats why I keep going to the range. Not helping much...but at least I'm trying...

Squeeze that grip so hard your hand is shaking then back off just enough to steady. Try to crush the handgun with your grip strength. Took me years till I figured that out and it made such a difference.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

That's only partially true. You want to have control of your fine motor skills while maintaining grip.

Your support hand should be gripping slightly harder than your strong hand.

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

I couldn't have even seen the balloon. How the hell could I shoot it? LOL 

And I know I suck. Thats why I keep going to the range. Not helping much...but at least I'm trying...

He could not see it either.  More luck at work here than you think. No human can see a balloon at 3,000 feet with the naked eye.  

http://blog.gunlink.info/2012/03/04/free-downloadable-pistol-correction-targets/

Use these targets to diagnose aiming problems.

Fine motor skills...Exactly where do I find them??lol

Seems the harder I try to steady my aim, the more I wander around the target. I've changed my stance to draw my arms in so my elbow is resting against my chest to steady my aim. Just started doing that and it kinda helps. The red dot on my Beretta helps but when I go to my old .38 super with open sites I have to be happy to hit paper. My buddy says I drink too much coffee.... :blind:

It may be in the strength in your forearm and wrist.  Get a brick and wrap it in foil. At night when your in front of the TV, grab the brick off the floor with your fingers only, pick it up and curl your forearm and wrist.  Then set it back down and repeat.  Do that for 10 minutes a night 5 days a week. Give it a month, then let me know. It's how I was taught by an old timer when I first got into bullseye,  Once you acquire arm strength and muscle memory  with grip it's like riding a bike your body never forgets. 

Never heard of that one before. But I'm up for anything at this point. But I don't have a brick. Can I us a beer can??? Full of course. For a while anyway. ;)

Kidding, but I really don't have a brick right now so I'm going to start with a 4lb hand sledge till I can find one. Google says 1 brick weighs 5lbs so I'm close.

Fine motor skills...Exactly where do I find them??lol

Seems the harder I try to steady my aim, the more I wander around the target. I've changed my stance to draw my arms in so my elbow is resting against my chest to steady my aim. Just started doing that and it kinda helps. The red dot on my Beretta helps but when I go to my old .38 super with open sites I have to be happy to hit paper. My buddy says I drink too much coffee.... :blind:

The gun wanders for everyone--even world-class shooters.    Accept it, and learn how to work with it.   

Specifically, read about 'minimum arc of movement'.  Here is one link:  http://www.bullseyepistol.com/chapter1.htm   There are others.

Learn how much time you have after putting the gun on target, before you settle down into your minimum arc of movement, and learn how long you have before the arc increases.  Then make sure each shot breaks cleanly while you are within your minimum arc.   You can't do better than that...attempting otherwise leads to worse results.

With practice your minimum arc gets smaller, and that's how you get more precise in your shooting.