PeteF

One stop scrapping

Anyone have a recomendation for a place to scrap ~50lbs steel, 40lbs of SLA Batteries, and a 8000btu Ac?

Passaic/Union county area.

Looking for a one stop place. Place I used to use (Arlington in Wayne) closed up shop.

come see me im in passaic right near rt 21 and rt 3. United Scrap ask for Chris. 705 old river drive passaic. 973-272-6822

Since you look like you're in the business i have a question for ya.

Here in WNC we have a few yards who aren't even taking scrap at this time saying prices are to low. Are you up there getting picky also?

Since you look like you're in the business i have a question for ya.

Here in WNC we have a few yards who aren't even taking scrap at this time saying prices are to low. Are you up there getting picky also?

Yes i am in the scrap business. Prices are low, but not as low as they were 3 months ago. At the lowest point some yards stopped paying for steel and light iron but would take it for free. We still payed for it even at the lowest point. something is better than nothing is my though. A big thing is trucking. Not sure how far they must truck it in WNC to get to a mill, port, or shredder. But if its was a long ride to get to one of those it probably wasn't worth trucking it as the price was so low.

• Like 1

How about brass?

I don't reload, I shoot a lot of economical brass Ammo - always police my brass.

I've acquired about a "Homer" bucket and a half of brass.

I have a friend who reloads 45's so I always give him my spent 45.

Can I scrap what I have left?

Is there a best time of year to do it?

How about brass?

I don't reload, I shoot a lot of economical brass Ammo - always police my brass.

You're better selling your brass to reloaders.

Pm me

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

How about brass?

You're better selling your brass to reloaders.

Pm me

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

this is your answer. i will gladly buy your scrap brass. but your better off selling that to a reloader they normally pay a small bit above market pricing on the scrap. and no there is no certain time of year that's better.

i have a few people who buy it from me to cast for reloading, and some who buy to cast fishing weights. i dont reload so im not sure what the going rate is if you buy them cast already or what not. but i could always get scrap lead so let me know if interested.

Chris is kinda out of my way but I was thinking the same thing.

Most scrap yards seem horribly confused when I try to buy lead. Preferably wheel weights.

You will have better luck asking in person than calling asking. Also go to smaller yards you will probably have better luck.

Best thing to do if it is mostly copper weight is break the thing apart. It usually isn't worth doing so unless it's something like say a solid piece of aluminum that has a few small pieces of steel on it. The yards generally won't care and will give you dirty pricing on the whole thing, even if only 1lb out of 50 is steel.
So, if that inverter you have is mostly copper, spend the few minutes to hack it up and get the good stuff out. Otherwise, you probably won't get crap for it.

Not to Hijack, but anyplace in the Morris County area to take a dead solar inverter?  Could break it apart, but it has about 50# of copper in it.

Best thing to do if it is mostly copper weight is break the thing apart. It usually isn't worth doing so unless it's something like say a solid piece of aluminum that has a few small pieces of steel on it. The yards generally won't care and will give you dirty pricing on the whole thing, even if only 1lb out of 50 is steel.

So, if that inverter you have is mostly copper, spend the few minutes to hack it up and get the good stuff out. Otherwise, you probably won't get crap for it.

i agree. if it is copper take it apart and clean it.  bringing it whole you are basically being charged to have someone take it apart the same as you would do. just make sure its copper and not aluminum with a copper jacket before taking it all apart. if its aluminum i would not take it apart not worth the time at all.