Sign in to follow this  
Krdshrk

Home Inspector recommendation

Does anyone have a recommendation on someone to use for a home inspection (I'm potentially purchasing a home).  Location is Bridgewater.

I think my realtor has someone they recommend but I would like to see if anyone knows a good inspector that will do a thorough job.

I used Pillar to Post and they were excellent.

https://oceancounty.pillartopost.com/home 

Watched the video - they have different levels of inspections?  Which one did you choose?

Their site looks very good and the one near where I'm looking has excellent reviews.

I don't remember - it was several years ago. I think there was an option to test for radon which I declined.

He did the inspection with me and was extremely thorough and detailed, taking pictures and notes of everything. Small ranch and it took a couple of hours. He seemed to have a lot of knowledge of the codes. Afterwards he gave me a well laid out loose leaf binder containing a checklist, his notes and pictures.

If it is a house from the 1970s in Bridgewater get a good inspection. There was a lot of shoddy stuff going on there. Masonry, electric, lots of bad stuff.

1965 - that's why I'm concerned about the inspection and want a REALLY thorough one.

Thanks, Luis.

Looks like we're looking to build now instead. Local builder. Inspection will be even more important when it's done.

Kyle is a great guy and super knowledgeable. Good luck with your construction! I'm moving in my new house at the end of the month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

regionsal, must likely, but skip anyone in Mercer county starting with AM....

They refuse to look at the roof.  Really?  A potential $15,000 repair and you look at it?

I don't do inspections for a living, and no longer even replace roofing but I DO deal with the occasional repair or gutter or flashing or skylight issues. One thing that lives in the little tool bag by my front seat is a mid-size pair of binoculars. I can see MOST issues up there with them before I even dig out the ladder, at least when doing an initial appraisal of a home exterior.

Of course sometimes I have to trespass on the property across the street to see it, but,,,,,,,, 

Thanks, Luis.  

Looks like we're looking to build now instead.  Local builder.  Inspection will be even more important when it's done.

Guess we'll be hearing a lot from you then lol!  You getting a tear down?  Adding on? Vacant land? 

Absolutely positively do not use someone the realtor recommends. Realtors want to make the sale, period. They don't care if your house collapses as you drive back from the closing.

The guy our realtor recommended told us we were termite-free and the chimney was fine. The following spring we had a termite swarm on the first floor. The exterminator (Neil Zimmerman in Branchville) pointed out the egg casings in the basement ceiling. It took two applications but he got rid of the critters.

BTW several years later we had to get half of the chimney replaced. The top half :)

Find someone from as far away from your realtor's business as you can. 

I understand you no longer need one, but just in case, this guy is amazing:

http://www.nahi.org/members/default.asp?id=13932576

I am an Engineer. The only two things I can't work on that well are houses and cars, because both are strong on experience and short on data. But I certainly know enough to know when I'm being BS'd or the guy doesn't know what he is doing. This guy is incredible. He woudn't just tell me what was wrong with the property. He would teach me how to make minor repairs and how to maintain all the components and the propety. Not very expensive, and worth every penny.