Ray Ray

223/556 defensive ammo

6 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

Hornady Z-Max 55gr and IMI Razor Core 77gr OTM

The IMI looks tempting.  My current bulk ammo stuff is a hodge-podge of Fiocchi, Remington, Freedom Munitions and American Eagle.  

I want to stick with one type from one company.

Just now, voyager9 said:

Hornady TAP 55gr

My 20 inch AR is sighted in with that, i am talking bulk stuff.  

Federal TRU 64gr Soft Nose .223

Part #:T223L

I have shot this ammo out of a 14.5” and 16” AR in direct head to head comparison into ballistic gel through multiple different kinds of barriers, including - bare gel, T shirt, denim, heavy leather, glass, drywall, 2x4.

I shot it against the entire Remington LE line and equivalent Speer, and Hornady offerings. It came out on top.

It does everything you want it to do.

I have shot this ammo out of a 14.5” and 16” AR in direct head to head comparison into ballistic gel through multiple different kinds of barriers, including - bare gel, T shirt, denim, heavy leather, glass, drywall, 2x4.

I shot it against the entire Remington LE line and equivalent Speer, and Hornady offerings. It came out on top.

It does everything you want it to do.

It’s not bad for duty ammo.

Seriously, How much do you need for HD? 100 rounds for function test and zero and another 60 to load mags.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

ok. my turn for the stupid questions.

with the different ammos you guys are suggesting....and knowing it's gfor home defense........do we care much about the barrel twist rate?

Short answer, no

Unless you are varmint hunting with a 1 in 12 twist rate and shooting 45 grainers.  

Or

Shooting long range competition with a 1 in 7 twist rate and using 77 grainers.

IMO, projectiles I like. 

Cheap DIY - hornady 55gr jsp going about 2800 fps. hornady 62gr OTM about the same speed is nice, and the higher BC means the lower velocity works out for you over a wider range. People have been liking them as cheap fodder for nuisance hogs.  You can also score 55gr fusion and gold dot bullets in bulk for very reasonable prices on occasion. The 62Gr version of both seems to be less bitchy to load. For 64gr stuff you can go with the nosler bonded performance bullets new and pristine. They do have a pretty flat point though. Hornady z-max 55gr and v-max 55gr bullets are nice and accurate, and have a thick cooper portion at the base of the projectile. Nosler 55gr varmint (orange tip, the pricier stuff) and 60gr varmint bullets are constructed similarly. I find the nosler 60gr to be more picky about loading. If you want expensive, the barnes TSX product line and 77gr OTM from either sierra or nosler work well. 

Non diy 

I haven't seen the 62gr OTM anywhere. As far as I know only midsouth sells the heads. So no pre packaged stuff I have been able to find. 

The hronady 55gr jsp is availabel in 50 round bulk boxes labeled training. It also gets recommended for hogs by some vendors. Item 80255, however might be a litle faster than I would like for the bullet. 

The hornady bonded sutff is available as the fusion hunting line and the TRU defensive line. 

Hornady vmax and zmax stuff is available in their z amax line and tap products. 

The speer bullets are of course in the gold dot rifle ammo. 

the nosler bullet is in the winchester powermax hunting ammo, 64gr winchester ranger bonded solid base, and nosler defense ammo. 

Barnes TSX is available from black hills or their own vor-tx line. 

The 77gr OTM bullets are cheapest loaded in IMI razor core ammo. 

• Like 1

I like Bite The Bullet for cheap bulk ammo and always cheap prices.https://www.bitethebullet.co/

doesn't shoot any better or worse than name brands of the same grain, except I find it leaves a lot of dust in the chamber and barrel (my rifle is a piston)

1 hour ago, Ray Ray said:

300 clams for 500 rounds?  yikes

get the 55 grain then. $120 for 450 rounds and free shipping is a solid deal. I shoot a lot of that through my rifle, no complaints. It's probably one of the better quality 55 gr made.

12 hours ago, JR88USMC said:

get the 55 grain then. $120 for 450 rounds and free shipping is a solid deal. I shoot a lot of that through my rifle, no complaints. It's probably one of the better quality 55 gr made.

223 or 556?

Apparantly the nosler 64gr bonded bullet is also loaded in the freedom munitions boar buster round for a little over a buck a piece. Whcih isn't bad given that I ahve never found the bullets for less than $0.39 a piece ever. Usually $0.42. 

Bonded ammo isn't really the best choice for FISHing. You want the ammo to break up and slow down if you miss. You do not want it to stay intact and retain velocity and mass. You also don't want to shoot through your target and worry about where the round goes next.

Bonded is great if you are shooting through glass or car doors, it is kind of specialized. It would probably work well on animals with tough hides and thick bodies where your rounds need to penetrate further, but for HD or SD, not so much.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Bonded ammo isn't really the best choice for FISHing. You want the ammo to break up and slow down if you miss. You do not want it to stay intact and retain velocity and mass. You also don't want to shoot through your target and worry about where the round goes next.

Bonded is great if you are shooting through glass or car doors, it is kind of specialized. It would probably work well on animals with tough hides and thick bodies where your rounds need to penetrate further, but for HD or SD, not so much.

My list is based on effectiveness of penetration and if it'll make a big enough hole to bleed out of. It's more or less pass/fail with some marginal budget rounds included. Bonded is bonded. It'll penetrate more, but it'll work well at expanding and retaining weight. 

You recommended 64gr TRU. Which from the LEO catalog looks a heck of a lot like it is bonded based on the remnants, although that may just be the lower velocity they are pushing it at from a 14.5" barrel. Or it's using the cannelure to act as an interlock design. 

My personal favorite on paper is the nosler 60 gr varmint. The 55gr BT TRU ammo seems to be the 55gr version since it appears to have an orange tip. The 60 grain increases the size of the solid copper portion at the back and can be had with cannelure like the TRU ammo. Getting ahold of the 55gr with cannelure is random industry lottery of if nosler has a contract overrun. It can be had relatively affordably so it is possible to practice with it without an insane budget if you roll your own. It's preferred envelope is at .223 pressures, said envelope is pretty generous velocity wise, and the SD and BC are such that at those .223 pressures, you keep it in a pretty happy zone. It'll also likely stay in the bad guy, or lose most of the velocity there. It's just kind of picky on barrel and powder for accuracy. The 55gr is less dramatic in that regard and the v-max and z-max 55gr ammo even more so. Construction between them is similar. 

But with all of them except maybe the lightweight bulk soft point, you miss, it's going to send a decent chunk of bullet through standard construction material, and a fair amount of it.