NJ Glock

Where do we stand on S548 - 2018 updated assault weapons ban?

18 posts in this topic

What is the status of S548 was introduced on 1-9-2018 ?

If it passes, even my .22 caliber M&P 15-22 would be confiscated.  Any semi-auto rifle could be banned just because of a pistol grip or thumbhole stock!

 

"This bill would strengthen the State's current assault weapons ban by revising the definition of an assault weapon to include:   rifles with detachable magazines and ONE military style feature; semi-automatic shotguns with ONE military style feature; and semi-automatic pistols with ONE military style feature.

(a)   a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least one of the following characteristics:

     (i)    a folding or telescoping stock;

     (ii)   a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action  of the weapon;

     (iii) a thumbhole stock;

     (iv) a second  handgrip or a protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand;

     (v) a bayonet mount;

     (vi) a flash suppressor, muzzle break, muzzle compensator, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor,  muzzle break, or muzzle compensator; or

     (vii) a grenade launcher; "

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sad.  If someone is deranged enough to shoot up a school and willing to die in the process, I am pretty sure they are not worried about an additional charge for the high capacity mags.  (Columbine was done with 10 round mags btw...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, NJ Glock said:

Sad.  If someone is deranged enough to shoot up a school and willing to die in the process, I am pretty sure they are not worried about an additional charge for the high capacity mags.  (Columbine was done with 10 round mags btw...)

Preaching to the choir, brotha...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, NJ Glock said:

(Columbine was done with 10 round mags btw...)

So was the Virginia tech shooting and the recent Parkland High School shooting in Florida. Still hasn't stopped the gun grabbers from passing "common sense gun laws". Common sense seems to be missing on THEIR side.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, NJ Glock said:

Sad.  If someone is deranged enough to shoot up a school and willing to die in the process, I am pretty sure they are not worried about an additional charge for the high capacity mags.  (Columbine was done with 10 round mags btw...)

Now they will say that even 10 rounds are way to many.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are misquoting the bill. What you've quoted is for semi auto rifles.

Here's the list of evil features for semi auto handguns:

(c)

a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least one of the following characteristics:

(i)a folding or telescoping stock;

(ii) a thumbhole stock;

(iii) a second handgrip or a protruding grip that can be held by the non trigger hand;

(iv) capacity to accept an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

(v) a threaded  barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;

(vi) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned;

(vii) a manufactured weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; or

(viii) a semiautomatic version of an automatic rifle, shotgun or firearm.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, njJoniGuy said:

You are misquoting the bill. What you've quoted is for semi auto rifles.

Here's the list of evil features for semi auto handguns:

(c)

a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least one of the following characteristics:

(vi) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned;

So does that mean if I put a barrel shroud on a pistol BUT, say, incorporate some kind of heating coil on it that it gets hot and DOES burn my off hand, that it is then legal? 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone know how often the "Law and Public Safety committee" meets to work on these bills?  #548 has been there since Jan 9, and hundreds of ills have piled up since.  How does a bill move through the system?  

Basically I'm asking how much longer do we have!?!?    This will be devastating.

 

thanks

~steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2018 at 10:22 PM, NJ Glock said:

What is the status of S548 was introduced on 1-9-2018 ?

If it passes, even my .22 caliber M&P 15-22 would be confiscated.  Any semi-auto rifle could be banned just because of a pistol grip or thumbhole stock!

 

"This bill would strengthen the State's current assault weapons ban by revising the definition of an assault weapon to include:   rifles with detachable magazines and ONE military style feature; semi-automatic shotguns with ONE military style feature; and semi-automatic pistols with ONE military style feature.

(a)   a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least one of the following characteristics:

     (i)    a folding or telescoping stock;

     (ii)   a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action  of the weapon;

     (iii) a thumbhole stock;

     (iv) a second  handgrip or a protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand;

     (v) a bayonet mount;

     (vi) a flash suppressor, muzzle break, muzzle compensator, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor,  muzzle break, or muzzle compensator; or

     (vii) a grenade launcher; "

So pretty much EVERY AR will become illegal........ detachable mag plus a pistol grip = murderous weapon from hell.   So this bill has not been voted on yet, correct?

Sounds to me like they are making a firearm “in common use by law abiding citizens” illegal to posses. 

Sounds to me like something the SCOTUS with Kavanaugh would take issue with....

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Bowling Ball said:

They're waiting for the next tragedy to happen, then this bill will be fast tracked. It's 'Common Sense' legislation, just something for the baby boomers to eat up and approve of.

Huh??

Baby Boomers vote Republican two to one over Democrats.

bvaylhbkeeo5ku8xr7tlsg.png

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

Huh??

Baby Boomers vote Republican two to one over Democrats.

bvaylhbkeeo5ku8xr7tlsg.png

I would be willing to believe those numbers reflect a 2:1 margin over Dems in numbers of registered voters.  But I don't think they reflect the numbers of people who actually get off their butts and pull the lever.  If they did I don't think we'd be in this mess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BobA said:

I would be willing to believe those numbers reflect a 2:1 margin over Dems in numbers of registered voters.  But I don't think they reflect the numbers of people who actually get off their butts and pull the lever.  If they did I don't think we'd be in this mess. 

That could be true. I don't believe the Millennial numbers, as like almost 80% were Bernie Sanders supporters, so for actual lever pullers, I read that they went 55% for Hillary versus 37% Trump, that's not a -2 difference like the chart shows, and they are currently the largest generation today.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now