Sign in to follow this  
aeromaks

9mm or 45 acp?

So at a crossroads.

Am looking at the Taurus 24/7 OSS and the S&W M&P. I prefer the M&P in a compact.

Want to pick up a 9 and a 45. Shall I get the OSS in a 45 and m&P in a 9? or vice versa?

concealed carry is not an issue in this state, but will be a consideration in the future, if law changes or move to PA. =P

I'll be the first to say that I NEVER thought I'd ever own a GLOCK. I was a H&K man, still have 2 today. This is the way I felt BEFORE I shot a friend's G19 compact. I was very impressed and got a permit to buy one. I ended up really buying a G26 subcompact instead when I put one in my hand. I have very large hands and I was soooooo surprised how well the G26 fit in my hands, especially when I tried a used one they had with a Pearce mag extension that adds a pinkie support. The G26 suprisingly has very little recoil as did the G19 compact. I also shoot very well with it without the extension. I guess what I'm trying to say here is: if you're thinking for the future about concealment, as I was, do not discount getting a subcompact. The G26 is much more concealable that a compact such as a G19 & M&P9. A subcompact is the choice of many for concealment. Just go to a shop and put one in your hands, you may be very surprised.

I actually am in the same boat. I went to cheyene mountain last weekend? and they were fortunate enough to have a few in stock...

A S&W M&P 40 full size, same as 9mm, a S&W M&P 9c compact, and a glock 26. No taurus. infact, I have not seen a 24/7 oss or pro in either cheyene or sportsman down the road. Cheyene said that they ordered a bunch of taurus guns and they will be in soon. the 9c vs the glock 26 was close, however the sw fit like a glove, where the glock fit just well. it felt a little square whereas the sw was curved and felt part of the hand.

I do want to get a full size, and a compact, as far as compact, I am decided on s&w, and taurus for full size, just question of calibres and which I will shoot more. The only thing kind of making me lean towards the sw is the promo for two free mags. argh. decisions decisions.

btw. dry firing the glock, vs sw... the trigger pull on sw just felt better. perhaps I will have to rent the guns to see it. only issue is, stores around here charge $20 for the lane, $15 to rent the handgun, and then overpriced ammo, $18 for a 50rd box of 9mm. $70 to shoot two boxes. I will wait till I have full member privs at the club next month, and see if anyone has it there. Also, brother has beretta 92fs, some glock, walther p99, browning hi power 9, h&k usp to compare too.

What I have defiinitely discovered, in my short time of shooting, is that you DEFINITELY just have to hold each gun. Preferably shooting first would be great, but I havent found any local places that rent out guns.

Personally, I love the Glock 19. It is my favorite gun for sure. It just fits perfectly in the hand, and I am the most accurate with this one. That is why I also got the same gun in .40 cal, the Glock 23. I had the extended slide release and ext. mag release put on both of these as well. Then I dremeled down the ext mag release (which is a bit big) to where its rounded out nicely. This has been the perfect gun for my hand.

But since I have not fired the M&P, who knows what Im missing!

So in my world, I recommend the Glock 19 for 9mm, and definitley a 1911 for .45 (Colt, Springfield, even a Taurus if low on funds)

Yes. Harry's wanted to get out of the handgun business, so one of the employees and 2? partners spun it off.

They took the inventory etc. It looks like a great place with good selection. New handguns they are out of for the most part, but a good assortment of used guns, rifles, shotguns, accessories.

New guns are on order. May pop in in a few days to check out what they got in.

ditto on that. Walked into harry's, saw something that looked like riffles, but they were bb guns and paintball guns... was like... um, where are the real guns. though at that time they were still closed next door.

the prices at cheyene though were LOWER than sportsmans down the street.

Is Cheyenne Mountain the new place that Harry's spun off?

Where are these gun stores located?

I want to look into a couple of used handguns and Cheyenne sells them, no?

And to answer your question, get them both!

More guns the better!

Cheyenne Mountain and Sportsmen's center are located in Central Jersey. Basicly exit 7a on the turnpike. Cheyenne is in Hamilton township, just south of route 195 on route 130, across from the USPS building.

Sportsmen's is about 2 or 3 miles down the road, on the north bound side, across from a Valero gas station and a pool shop. Located in Bordentown Township.

Usually, folks drive south to sportsmen's and hit up Cheyenne on the way up.

Cheyenne Mountain and Sportsmen's center are located in Central Jersey. Basicly exit 7a on the turnpike. Cheyenne is in Hamilton township, just south of route 195 on route 130, across from the USPS building.

Sportsmen's is about 2 or 3 miles down the road, on the north bound side, across from a Valero gas station and a pool shop. Located in Bordentown Township.

Usually, folks drive south to sportsmen's and hit up Cheyenne on the way up.

Thanks bro, they got a website? Do they sell a wide variety of used firearms?

I can't say anything about the Taurus but I own an M&P45 and it's been flawless from out of the box.

I've put about 1500 rds through it without a single hiccup. It's very easy to field strip and clean and S&W customer service is great to deal with.

I highly recommend adding a M&P to anyones collection. Although I personally recommend buying both....well because you can never have too many guns :)

good luck

sandcast69

I was in both today.SC had very little in handguns, and CMO had a decent selection, although the way they have them set up on the pegs makes it harder to see what is there.

I was in both to drop off the flyers Friday... at SC they had very little in... Anything that comes in, just gets sold.

CMO, was busy, but yes, the they have the handguns setup, very difficult to see anything. Same thing with the rifles/shotguns. Worst part about it, they tooo much counter space, and too little guns.

did you by any chance see the NJGF flyers? at SC they were at both ends of the counter. at CMO they were at the ammo counter in the corner.

Take the Drive and go to the bullet hole. Friendly knollegable staff and the have almost anyting and it they dont they can get it. I have fould they have the best prices on gins being they deal in a very high volume.

As far as 9 vs 45.... Get the XD .45 and the Ruger SR9. I have also shot the XD 9 but had better groupings with the ruger.

Was at the Bullet Hole on Saturday. I have a permit (have no idea what I'm getting) and wanted to peruse as well as use the range. Bullet Hole normally has a very good selection of handguns. This time around, Glocks were light, lots of HK's and a good smattering of other brands.

I have an XD45Tact & XD9Tact. Like the 45 better. Also have a G19/G17. I like the Glocks better. Have no experience w/ the M&P's outside of someone letting me take 5 rounds on a .40. Liked the gun. They have a new .45 midsize, which looks very promising. Between .45 and 9mm, I'd be going for a 9mm, just due to the cost of ammo. As long as you can hit, either a 9mm or a .45 will do.

I was surprised... but stores are getting a bit more inventory in.

At Brick Armory yesterday, they had a bunch more taurus and XD's in.

At Sportmans Center in Bordentown, overload of Berettas, Taurus and XD's.

at Harrys, er Cheyenne Mountain overload of Sigs and H&K's.

IMHO...

9mm:

cheaper ammo = more money for ammo, more time at range

more time at range = more effective and well placed shots

less recoil = more time shooting comfortably

I'd rather be an awesome shot with a 9mm than a worse shot with a 45.

YMMV.