aeromaks

Anyone else find cleaning a gun is relaxing?

While cleanoing is a fact of life when you are at the range three or four times a week, I don't have any radio or TV in the shop area. I'm of the opinion that doing those tasks simply create a increased posibility of a accident somewhere along the line.

There has to be some kind of noise to drown out the kids jumping around upstairs. And Garth and guns just seem to go together. I can't begin to count the times 0100 rolls around and I realize I need to get some sleep. 0600 comes pretty quick.

Yea +1 on that, nothing better than watching a good movie while cleaning my piece, ive gotten into a nice habit of it now.

+1 on that

It has to be an action movie though, not a movie that requires my undivided atention.

I find it quite relaxing myself. The hum of the fan, some quiet music, and working with my hands is quite relaxing (even to think about it). I point out that last part because I have no mechanic skills whatsoever, but handling the firearms is different. Then I usually round it off by inspecting every round (though that gets boring quick).

Depends on my mood it seems. Sometimes, I find that it's a good way to pass the time. Other times, I find it very boring. It also reminds me that I don't get out to shoot enough :( On the plus side, I do learn something new about each of my guns every time I take them apart, so it's not a total loss :)

What I really need is to set up a dedicated area for cleaning. Right now it's either the dining room table or on the floor in front of the tv :roll: kills my back haha

Gun cleaning sucks. Even during weekly handgun trips I always come back with at LEAST two guns to clean. Four is common. When we go out and rock I have a minimum of 5 guns (counting uppers) that need to cool before I can even case them up to leave the range. Sometimes more. I don't even clean all my guns anymore. The beater uppers just need lube and a few bore swipes if I feel charitable. But the carry guns and the first line home guns always get at least an inspection and hasty clean. It's a serious pain in the ass.

It's not relaxing its work.

You are doing it wrong

Well it starts out relaxing, then I get all anal about it and end up spending forever cleaning one stinking part, then I start getting tired of it and it becomes work.

You need Country music while cleaning. Keeps you relaxed.

I find it very relaxing...I have 2 shotguns that need some love...

I am just sitting here after putting through a few hundred rounds through the guns, cleaning them while watching Bones on tv.

So... what about you guys?

Yeah, another Bones fan :happy-cheerleaderkid:

On the topic: I dont' clean guns, I do dishes :mrgreen:

It should read, I don't clean my guns, Maksim does.

yes relaxing at times , but remember that most guns are ruined more by cleaning than by shooting - this is especially true with barrels - i know target shooters that shoot over 1000 rounds with out cleaning their barrels - this does not include some semi autos + ar's their actions have to be kept clean just so they will function -

Especially with milsurps, I find my mind drifting off and thinking about the rifle/pistol that I am cleaning. Where did that dent come from, did the person that it was issued to clean and care for the gun? Did this thing ever see combat. I have many battle damaged examples of firearms that have seen their share of $hit and you cant help but wonder about them. My M91 for example has shrapnel all over the stock, obviously it was in the wrong place at the wrong time. But did the person who carried it at least get a couple of shots off first? You never know, so I guess that adds to the intrigue.