matty

A-10s gonna be around awhile.....

Looks like the F-35 boondoggle is causing the 'retirement' of the A-10 to be delayed further and possibly indefinitely, if the new wing program actually comes to pass. I find it interesting that both aircraft  I primarily worked on in the USAF 30+ years ago are still flying--A10 & B-52H . Used to work on Gs and Ds, but those are long gone. The bases I was at have been closed for more than 20 years. 

http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/a23537/air-force-fires-up-depot-line-keep-a-10s-flying-indefinitely/

Interesting note there about the CAS mission being split to include the Super Tucano or AT-6 as an interim aircraft. Not such a bad idea, there is precedent for this (A-37). Weapons loads would be smaller of course and no 30mm cannon, but much smaller target and likely quicker turnarounds. IIRC they can both have gun pods, rockets and bombs and sensors. Usually dont need the heavy stuff like antitank missiles and cluster bombs for TIC missions.

• Like 1

Great news for the ground troops.  My BIL may be less enthusiastic.  He's a KC-135R Pilot (Tanker).  When they refuel A-10s they actually have to descend for the A-10 to be fast enough and for the plane not to stall out to be able to refuel 'em.  I can't imagine that being fun.

I'm a fan of the A-10 but I'll admit that's purely because of the Brrrrrrt-factor.

I've read some articles from those smarter and more involved than me that make good points against the A10. Mainly it was that the A-10 gun is not effective against modern tank armor and would be nearly worthless against a near-peer advisory. For other roles, like we have now in the ME there are other platforms (helicopters or Tacano) that can do it just as well for significantly cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, it was designed in the late 60s/Early 70s, but like the B-52 it can evolve. The cannon can shoot DU AP rounds, but even those may not work so well against modern armor. But new ammo can be invented. Such as it is, its the best platform we have right now, in any quantity. It was built to sustain some damage from AAA as was used in Vietnam, but this was before more portable missile systems became available. Agree the Super Tucano can probably do the same sort of thing cheaper--

I'm a fan of the A-10 but I'll admit that's purely because of the Brrrrrrt-factor.

I've read some articles from those smarter and more involved than me that make good points against the A10. Mainly it was that the A-10 gun is not effective against modern tank armor and would be nearly worthless against a near-peer advisory. For other roles, like we have now in the ME there are other platforms (helicopters or Tacano) that can do it just as well for significantly cheaper.

Yes, it was designed in the late 60s/Early 70s, but like the B-52 it can evolve. The cannon can shoot DU AP rounds, but even those may not work so well against modern armor. But new ammo can be invented. Such as it is, its the best platform we have right now, in any quantity. It was built to sustain some damage from AAA as was used in Vietnam, but this was before more portable missile systems became available. Agree the Super Tucano can probably do the same sort of thing cheaper--

Ya best me to it. DU would do the job. As for modern armor, who has anything better than us, but maybe the Russians.

On another note, there aren't too many planes in our modern times that when seen, heard or felt, can instill the fear of God in them.

Similarly to the older P40 Warhawks that had the shark face/teeth painted on the nose. Would scare the bejesus out of the enemy just seeing it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you listen to them - the Israelis do. They also say they could take us in a fight. Just sayin....

Yep, forgot about our buddies. Lets just hope they still love us after the election.

But the lessor of enemies, unless they stole it, they got crap.

Near peer, as in the Russians, Chinese, and others.

The GAU8 shoots DU rounds now, and has for a whole. The problem is they're not effective against advanced armor found on new tanks. Rounds would not penetrate new generation of reactive armor.

In addition, the A10 needs almost absolute air dominance. It is highly susceptible to modem air defenses. Even manpads.

They need a high/low mix:

F35/15E/16, B1, drone for contested environments and helicopters, Tucano, AC130 for the close in ground n pound once air space is safe

I don't know shit about these planes but once while snowboarding in VT we heard some strange thunder which was strange because it was a clear sunny day. Came around a turn and looked into the vally below us and there was 3 of them flying by. We sat down and watched them pass by. One of the coolest snowboarding experiences ever!

Any plane that can unleash that type of fear, the brrrttt of gun fire, get most of it's body blown to pieces, lose an engine and almost a whole wing, and still land, sure has a place in my heart and a place on a runway till we have flying saucers. Save our A-10 cause A-10 Lives Matter! ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The gun is impressive. I'd expect that ammunition and even the gun itself could be updated. Its a solid aviation platform as well. Tough to kill based on beatings it has taken.

Saw a few fly at airshows. Besides the Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt....of the main gun, whats distinctive, at least for a ground attack aircraft, is the sounds of its engines. That turbo jet rattling sound is pretty unique.

I remember being on manuevers up in FT Drum sitting on an M1 and watching the Hog Drivers come over a tree line quietly, inverted and aiming at me..followed by a quick turn and off to the next victim.. .and the inevitable he yellow-orange MILES kill light going off on my track...much respect to those pilots and aircraft

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk