CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

40 minutes ago, Jim Jones said:

I am sure I am missing something, but why do we care about going into a court, govt building or school? Seems pretty common sense these would be gun free zones. Not sure I want to open this can of worms, but this doesn’t sound like a big deal. Is it because this is the first step before we can’t carry anywhere?

how do you drop your kid off to school ? I don’t care about carrying in the school but I don’t want to commit a felony every morning. Right now NJ bans guns on school property, period. No parking lot safe storage exception where you can lock up your gun in your car like other states have.

8 hours ago, RadioGunner said:

how do you drop your kid off to school ? I don’t care about carrying in the school but I don’t want to commit a felony every morning. Right now NJ bans guns on school property, period. No parking lot safe storage exception where you can lock up your gun in your car like other states have.

To add to this...what if you work at a school/college as was said there is no exception for the parking lot so you can't legally carry while driving to work and then lock it in your car while you go into work.

Here’s another one. He redacted all the info. Basically he had a restricted permit, applied to have the restrictions removed and it was granted.  This is the first one I’ve seen with both sides. Lists the gun but doesn’t say it’s restricted. 

87489DD6-8F51-4160-A7EF-361C5A66A584.jpeg

• Informative 1

6 minutes ago, RadioGunner said:

Here’s another one. He redacted all the info. Basically he had a restricted permit, applied to have the restrictions removed and it was granted.  This is the first one I’ve seen with both sides. Lists the gun but doesn’t say it’s restricted. 

That is extremely promising! That is ocean county where I live! Let’s go!!!!

Anyone else notice that the permit is only good for 22 months?

It is my understanding that these do not come laminated. Like our FPIC used to be before they went digital. They are also a very strange size. They don't fit in wallets very nicely.

4 minutes ago, Kadayo said:

Anyone else notice that the permit is only good for 22 months?

It is my understanding that these do not come laminated. Like our FPIC used to be before they went digital. They are also a very strange size. They don't fit in wallets very nicely.

My FPIC did not come laminated and never heard anyone getting a laminated FPIC. People did their own lamination.  And FPIC is also strange size that does not fit well in wallets.

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, CJack said:

My FPIC did not come laminated and never heard anyone getting a laminated FPIC. People did their own lamination.  And FPIC is also strange size that does not fit well in wallets.

I think I worded that incorrectly. What I meant was....

It is my understanding that these do not come laminated. They are also a very strange size. They don't fit in wallets very nicely. Like our FPIC used to be before they went digital.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, samiam said:

Do you  know whether that is for an "ordinary citizen" or for a member of some group that likely would have previously been favored in the process? Also, any insight as to when that application was submitted? Thanks.

NM, already answered in the thread. Frankly, I am doubtful that a renewal that removes restrictions for someone who already had a limited permit means much where the rest of us are concerned. 

The restrictions removed was another person. That person is a security guard in ocean county. 

This one from warren was brand new. It seemed like a peasant permit and not for retired police. 

1 hour ago, RadioGunner said:

Wonder why the permit is for only 22 months instead of the statutory 2 years?, never mind wrote that before reading all the comments

16 minutes ago, galapoola said:

Wonder why the permit is for only 22 months instead of the statutory 2 years?, never mind wrote that before reading all the comments

I already explained why - he’s a security guard, got a restricted permit 2 months ago, then applied to have restrictions removed. The restrictions were removed but the permit still expires on its original date 

2 hours ago, NorthernYankee said:

To add to this...what if you work at a school/college as was said there is no exception for the parking lot so you can't legally carry while driving to work and then lock it in your car while you go into work.

I think it could be argued that the parking lot is public property, and not considered a sensitive area... that should be covered under Bruen. 

I think this is going to be a primary challenge moving forward as it would apply to any restricted property, like court houses and government buildings. 

Is there a way to edit post #1 (OP) with instructions how/where/process for getting their permit (in/out) of state?

Also, could we list approval times and how many have been approved to date?

Sifting through 42 pages of conflicting information takes a lot of time with no real conclusion.

26 minutes ago, mikelets456 said:

Is there a way to edit post #1 (OP) with instructions how/where/process for getting their permit (in/out) of state?

Also, could we list approval times and how many have been approved to date?

Sifting through 42 pages of conflicting information takes a lot of time with no real conclusion.

Maybe a spreadsheet that's on a public drive sort of thing. I've seen that on numerous forums for tracking other things...though I know most here have a thing with "being tracked"

Right now, out of state folks apply to the non toll road NJSP barracks closest to their house.

NJSP detective (Barrington suoer nice and helpful) handling my address change told me I had two options, Hamilton or some other barracks and the detective suggested Hamilton because they would have more familiarity with processing CCW apps

7 minutes ago, Maciej said:

Just got the call, picking up my permit shortly. Submitted 7/20, mental health check received 8/1, sent out to Morristown Superior Court 8/2, and it was just delivered to the PD today, 8/12.

Wow! that's fast!

An update from Middlesex county!

I called superior court today and they have no applications from my town, my PD hasn't approved or sent anyone's applications!

It looks like getting a permit smoothly and expeditiously is entirely dependent on what county you live in. I am unlucky enough to live in

one of the "rogue/obstructionist" counties.

43 minutes ago, glockdoc said:

congrats! 

GR

57 minutes ago, Maciej said:

Just got the call, picking up my permit shortly. Submitted 7/20, mental health check received 8/1, sent out to Morristown Superior Court 8/2, and it was just delivered to the PD today, 8/12.

Awsome I will also be submitting in Morris county

35 minutes ago, marlintag said:

Wow! that's fast!

An update from Middlesex county!

I called superior court today and they have no applications from my town, my PD hasn't approved or sent anyone's applications!

It looks like getting a permit smoothly and expeditiously is entirely dependent on what county you live in. I am unlucky enough to live in

one of the "rogue/obstructionist" counties.

As a matter of efficiency, we should probably make sure the PD approved the permit before calling the court.

• Agree 1