I have a groundhog problem that I intend to solve by trapping with a Havahart. After I capture it (assumption) I am considering dispatching it quietly rather than going to the trouble and risk of relocating. A good air or CO2 powered pellet rifle would be ideal, but I jave no idea who carries these in NJ. I checked ShootersNJ site, but could not find any listed. Can anyone here point me to a seller in South Jersey? Thanks

You would need go through NICS to get one in NJ - this dumb state thinks a pellet gun is a firearm. Head into free America and get one there. You just need to follow the transport laws to get it home - i.e. unloaded and locked in the trunk, or unloaded and cased before you cross the NJ border.

ETA - make sure you don't get one with an integrated suppressor.

We used to go to Delaware to buy toys. Not sure if DE rules in that situ are the same as past.

Coming back over the Del Mem Br was always an experience! Flash of lightning at the halfway point, and lo and behold, that toy you just bought has been magically transformed into a NJ firearm!

YMMV these days, with everchanging 'rules' from the wannabe tyrants.

1 hour ago, brucin said:

I would purchase out of state just to deny NJ the tax revenue. 

I understand and emphasize with that, but I want to get rid of the damned varmint before it digs any more dirt out from under my shed slab. I'll continue to try to hurt PRNJ revenues on less pressing matters...

6 hours ago, kc17 said:

I got one at Cheyenne in Bordentown. 

I was already looking into Cheyenne. Their on-line catalog is an anachronistic mess, but they do seem to have a Gamo.177 10 shot break rifle that would get the job done, for what these days is a not completely outrageous price. And they are within reasonable driving distance. Thanks.

2 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

Do you have a .22LR rifle?  get some CCI Quiet .22LR 

Aguila Super Colibri .22LR is super quiet out of a rifle.   Like quieter than paintball marker and even air gun.  It is significantly quieter than CCI Quiet.  At 20yrds, the varmint may not even pay attention to the sound.  

Aguila 22 LR 20 Grain Super Colibri Quiet Ammo (50 Rounds) - Powderless ...

27 minutes ago, glockncolts said:

At 20 yds that groundhog will laugh when it gets hit with that round...

The OP was looking for a quiet way to dispatch the ‘chuck in a HavaHart trap 

.22 shorts also work well, but are harder to find.   A bolt action rifle will be a little quieter than a semi  

3 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

Do you have a .22LR rifle?  get some CCI Quiet .22LR 

I do not own any .22 cal firearm. I was assuming that an air or gas gun at close range would be more discrete than any pyro gun. Based on some responses, it looks like that assumption may have been erroneous. Nevertheless, I'm trying to not add additional calibers to my "real" firearms.  Right now, everything is .357/.38, 9mm, .308, or 12 ga. If there was a reasonable selection of compact semi pistols available in .357/.38, I wouldn't even have added the 9mm...

Just FYI - Groundhogs are tougher than you think. A .22 pellet out of a high-velocity air rifle at short range would probably do the trick, but an actual .22 will be more humane. If you're going to spend the money anyway, buy yourself a nice .22. Cheap to shoot, lots of fun, and everyone should have at least one. 

BTW - I hunt small game with an air rifle (squirrels and rabbits), and I wouldn't try and kill a groundhog with one (at least not with the rifles that I have). 

6 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

get some CCI Quiet .22LR 

When I shoot CCI Qs, in my Marlin 25N, the firing pin hitting the cartridge is louder than the report.  I'd say they are so quiet, that if a lawnmower was in use nearby, I doubt you'd ever hear the shot.

5 hours ago, Tunaman said:

Just be aware of any town ordinances on the discharge of firearms.  If someone sees or hears you shoot,  whether it be a .22 or an air rifle you could be in trouble and lose your gun rights forever.

I did a pretty thorough search, and my township code seems to lack any mention of "firearm", "rifle", or "handgun", and the only references to "discharge" appear to be in the context of sewage, so I don't anticipate an issue there. NTM that the only neighbor likely to observe anything has a farm, and previously had a groundhog problem herself (she elected to use the Great Pyrenees solution).

• Like 1

On 8/4/2023 at 3:09 PM, Scorpio64 said:

When I shoot CCI Qs, in my Marlin 25N, the firing pin hitting the cartridge is louder than the report.  I'd say they are so quiet, that if a lawnmower was in use nearby, I doubt you'd ever hear the shot.

Interesting. Maybe I'll buy a box, borrow my son's Ruger 10/22, and save myself a few bucks and a long car ride. Also prompted another thought - the groundhog burrow is right next to where I keep my mower (which is missing the muffler) - no reason why that couldn't be running at the time.

2 hours ago, Tunaman said:

You can also put a dish of antifreeze close by that hole.  He should drink it and that will be the end of that.

Kinda non-selective. That’ll also take out any cats in the area…maybe other mammals as well, but cats reportedly love antifreeze

23 minutes ago, 10X said:

Kinda non-selective. That’ll also take out any cats in the area…maybe other mammals as well, but cats reportedly love antifreeze

Correct.  Dont use that method if you have other animals around that you need to keep.

On 8/5/2023 at 9:08 AM, Tunaman said:

Just be aware of any town ordinances on the discharge of firearms.  If someone sees or hears you shoot,  whether it be a .22 or an air rifle you could be in trouble and lose your gun rights forever.

You may also need a rifle hunting permit ($10.50) to dispatch small animals with a firearm. 

In any case, you technically need to be more than 450' from the nearest building unless you have written permission.