ESB

Long range ranges?

I've recently taken the plunge (a very expensive rabbit hole btw) of high power precision rifle (F-class & benchrest more specifically). So, I've been on a similar path as you - in terms of investigating various ranges. Let me share what's I've found so far. Going from North to South, and adding to the 2 posted above by @njJoniGuy:  

• Cherry Ridge, Highland Lakes, NJ - 300 yards - you can join or attend comps open to the public. (I'm a member here - it's a LOVELY range - large - 100 yd rifle, 200/300 yard rifle, a pistol range, a shotgun range, etc. - something for everyone!)
  • Hudson Farms, Andover, NJ - 900 yards, longest in NJ - but an elite private club (think: CEOs landing at their private helipad kind of elite). I think this rule applies: "if you have to ask how much it costs, you can't afford it" - lol. The grounds are stunning! And it's worth a visit to see their gobsmacking Griffin & Howe gun room (a venerable old outfitter/sporting goods company located on the property). That is open to the public if you're just visiting. That said though, I suppose you could take lessons through the Griffin & Howe training school & get access to their rifle range that way. The lessons are a little rich for my wallet, but if you can afford it... more power to you! They also have a rifle competition in the fall as I remember that is also open to the public. 
  • Central Jersey Pistol & Rifle, Jackson, NJ - 300 yards - you can join. I'm not sure if they have comps though - you can check their schedule. Or perhaps others here know?
  • Cumberland Rifleman, Millville, NJ - 600 yards - can join or attend comps open to the public.

Depending on where you live, you might want to consider out-of-state ranges, too, in neighboring states: like NY, PA, CT.... because there's really not a ton of longer distance ranges in NJ. If you don't mind a road trip though, there are several ranging out to 1000 yards or more in these other states. I've noticed some of them have deals with local hotels so if you're there for a comp, for instance, you get a really cheap room price. 

Good luck! Hope you find what you're looking for. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

It's a little far, but Sheepdog Warrior is my go-to for long range - https://sheepdogwarrior.com/

They have steel targets of various sizes hanging from 100 - 1000 yards and they regularly run competitions.  Owner is former LEO and a really nice guy.  Takes me about an hour and 40 minutes to get there.

Sheepdog Warrior
104 Haines Rd
Catskill, NY 12414

I recently heard that Tommy Gun Shooting Range in Greely, PA has an outdoor facility that goes out to 600 yards. https://tommygunshootingrange.com/

I plan to check them out in August or September, so I'll report back if I do.

• Informative 2

I can confirm Tommy Gun warehouse has a 600 yard range. Covered bench rest area, if I remember correctly 10 lanes, $30 an hour. Safety card is good annually. But make sure you have the card each time there or you will have to go through the orientation all over. I was just there last weekend. Aug 5, I enjoy it. There is some paper targets but 90% are steel. One hundred out to 600 yards. Check their website they have some events scheduled in the next few weeks. I’m out there roughly once a month so. My next planned weekend will be Sept. 9

• Informative 1

2 hours ago, B Gem said:

I can confirm Tommy Gun warehouse has a 600 yard range. Covered bench rest area, if I remember correctly 10 lanes, $30 an hour. Safety card is good annually. But make sure you have the card each time there or you will have to go through the orientation all over. I was just there last weekend. Aug 5, I enjoy it. There is some paper targets but 90% are steel. One hundred out to 600 yards. Check their website they have some events scheduled in the next few weeks. I’m out there roughly once a month so. My next planned weekend will be Sept. 9

Thanks!

I'm looking forward to trying it out.

• Agree 1

I like the place especially since the public range about 10 minutes away attracts a lot of yahoos, sketchy people. I like the store itself because they have decent amount of inventory, and some stuff not normally seen. 

• Like 1

On 8/4/2023 at 7:58 PM, Mrs. Peel said:

I've recently taken the plunge (a very expensive rabbit hole btw) of high power precision rifle (F-class & benchrest more specifically). So, I've been on a similar path as you - in terms of investigating various ranges. Let me share what's I've found so far. Going from North to South, and adding to the 2 posted above by @njJoniGuy:  

• Cherry Ridge, Highland Lakes, NJ - 300 yards - you can join or attend comps open to the public. (I'm a member here - it's a LOVELY range - large - 100 yd rifle, 200/300 yard rifle, a pistol range, a shotgun range, etc. - something for everyone!)
  • Hudson Farms, Andover, NJ - 900 yards, longest in NJ - but an elite private club (think: CEOs landing at their private helipad kind of elite). I think this rule applies: "if you have to ask how much it costs, you can't afford it" - lol. The grounds are stunning! And it's worth a visit to see their gobsmacking Griffin & Howe gun room (a venerable old outfitter/sporting goods company located on the property). That is open to the public if you're just visiting. That said though, I suppose you could take lessons through the Griffin & Howe training school & get access to their rifle range that way. The lessons are a little rich for my wallet, but if you can afford it... more power to you! They also have a rifle competition in the fall as I remember that is also open to the public. 
  • Central Jersey Pistol & Rifle, Jackson, NJ - 300 yards - you can join. I'm not sure if they have comps though - you can check their schedule. Or perhaps others here know?
  • Cumberland Rifleman, Millville, NJ - 600 yards - can join or attend comps open to the public.

Depending on where you live, you might want to consider out-of-state ranges, too, in neighboring states: like NY, PA, CT.... because there's really not a ton of longer distance ranges in NJ. If you don't mind a road trip though, there are several ranging out to 1000 yards or more in these other states. I've noticed some of them have deals with local hotels so if you're there for a comp, for instance, you get a really cheap room price. 

Good luck! Hope you find what you're looking for. 

One caveat on Cumberland Riflemen is that, while it has a very good reputation, it may not be the most convenient range to join, unless you already know someone who is a member. New members are inducted once per year (late September or early October iirc) and are accepted only if sponsored by current members. Before I got rid of my .50 BMG, I had wanted to join to take advantage of the 600 yard range there (ntm that it is only a 20 minute drive away). I somehow found one of their range instructors on another forum. I mentioned that I did not know anyone there to sponsor me, and he told me that I should come to some of their social functions to get to know some members. That sounded reasonable, so I pulled up their event calendar, only to discover the events didn't begin until mid-September. So unless someone wanted to go to social events in the Fall of one year to schmooze, and not join until the Fall of the following year, there appeared to be a bit of a Catch-22 for prospective new members who didn't already have connections. I decided that  it probably wasn't worth the trouble, and not long after that, NJ decided to register and tax .50 BMG, so I sold mine.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Tommy Gun and Sheepdog are both about 2.5 hours from me, was hoping to have a resource a little closer than that. Willing to go out of state, PA or NY, but would like the ride to be under 2 hours ideally. Any suggestions from Monmouth County to a 2 hour window out of state?

On 2/19/2024 at 8:50 AM, sroc112 said:

Any suggestions from Monmouth County to a 2 hour window out of state?

New Holland is about 2 hours from Tinton Falls (or Colts Neck or any of those towns in the middle of Monmouth County). Cumberland Rifleman is slightly under 2 hours. Those are probably your 2 best bets. It's not like there's a TON of longer-distance ranges around us.

Personally, I don't think you need to get hung up on "joining" either of those ranges though. Not right away anyway. I just got into rifle shooting last season... my (admittedly newb, take it with a grain of salt) advice, is to practice at your local range at whatever distances are available to you... and though it may feel counter-intuitive, even if you don't feel "ready", as long as you're hitting the target consistently, just sign up for some matches at one or both of those 600-yd ranges.

Both of them have a decent schedule of NRA-sanctioned matches to accommodate various rifle sports, and you can sign up for matches even if you're not a range member. At first, I thought it would be soooo intimidating and terribly stressful to essentially get your practice in DURING a match, but people are super-friendly. Just make sure you set your scope in advance to that distance so you can get dialed in fast. (NRA-sanctioned matches, I've noticed, move pretty efficiently - people will not wait while you futz around with the equipment).

If you really get obsessed, you could literally be shooting once or twice a month between both of those ranges'' match schedules, for 3 seasons of the year. Frankly, you could get LOADS of practice in that way without even joining a range.

Cumberland sounds nice but looks like it requires knowing an existing member to be your sponsor and they only do membership intake once per year. New Holland membership is closed and a lottery system will be in place for 2025.

Anyone know of old bridge rifle is still open? I called today but no answer. I see another of match and comp events on calendar but no info about just open range time.

So far best I got is a 50 yard lane at rtsp union.

On 2/21/2024 at 6:14 PM, sroc112 said:

Cumberland sounds nice but looks like it requires knowing an existing member to be your sponsor and they only do membership intake once per year. New Holland membership is closed and a lottery system will be in place for 2025.

Anyone know of old bridge rifle is still open? I called today but no answer. I see another of match and comp events on calendar but no info about just open range time.

So far best I got is a 50 yard lane at rtsp union.

Yeah no one is picking up the phone over at the indoor range at Old Bridge, that thing is just there in case there's an emergency (pretty much standard at all the private indoor ranges I've been to). We've still got the indoor and the outdoor (for the time being) range. Usually the last weekend of the month from March to November is an open range weekend, meaning no leagues/competitions on those weekends. That being said we are still taking new members but you have to sign up for one of the new member sessions that has an opening.

46 minutes ago, sroc112 said:

Even as a member, only that last weekend is open range? 

It's open most weekdays if you don't work a day job. Honestly, even most open weekends end up being taken up now. I believe people were supposed to kind of regulate themselves in outdoor pits but people will stay there all day now and barely shoot. 

I think I've narrowed it down to using Cherry Ridge as a more regular practice spot since it's the closest 1.5 hours. Tommy Gun Greeley as an occasional trip out. Sheepdog was pretty far as well, so maybe take a visit at some point. Thanks for all the help.

36 minutes ago, sroc112 said:

I think I've narrowed it down to using Cherry Ridge as a more regular practice spot since it's the closest 1.5 hours. Tommy Gun Greeley as an occasional trip out. Sheepdog was pretty far as well, so maybe take a visit at some point. Thanks for all the help.

CR was my second wife till I moved out of NJ. Just an FYI if you didn't know, the 200/300 range splits the day between the distances. At least used to maybe changed idk.