maintenanceguy

Most Carry Qualification Requirements Erased 9-17-23

3 minutes ago, xXxplosive said:

that's foolish.....our instructor who gave us the course is a NJSP Cert. Instructor so.....seems to me at this point it's meaningless when they move the goal post for the next round..."Interim"......has a meaning.

Reach out to your instructor and ask him if you are good to go or need to requalify. We shot out to 25 and we had holsters. The qualification I took was same as what they want now except I did not have to kneel. 

8 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Reach out to your instructor and ask him if you are good to go or need to requalify. We shot out to 25 and we had holsters. The qualification I took was same as what they want now except I did not have to kneel. 

thing is....if we don't need to requal....do we need to provide any supporting paperwork to our local pd?

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

For what....is it really up to him anyway....the word 'Interim" has a lot of meaning here.........yes we shot the COF, in their words, "very similar to HQC1 currently used by active and retired police" as you did and passed.

35 minutes ago, xXxplosive said:

For what....is it really up to him anyway....the word 'Interim" has a lot of meaning here.........yes we shot the COF, in their words, "very similar to HQC1 currently used by active and retired police" as you did and passed.

my feeling is that they're gonna wait till they've seen a bunch of people do their requals, then change the rules again.

on that note......does anyone know how many ccw permits have been issued since bruen now?

• Agree 3

42 minutes ago, xXxplosive said:

is it really up to him anyway

I would say it's absolutely up to your instructor!  If he say's the COF he gave you qualifies under the new standards then you are good to go. If he lies about it. It's his ass on the line, not yours....A certified instructor says you are good then you are!

My instructor also spent a lot of time going over gun safety and use of deadly force and gave us a bunch of paperwork detailing both subjects.  I believe he mentioned that we were not required to take the classes but said he would not pass anyone who did not!

On 8/7/2023 at 12:42 PM, xXxplosive said:

Same paperwork and topics covered.......same HQC1 COF....got our permits in 8 days after prints from the local Chief, no issues......so.....untill the "Interim" ends and your screwed like everyone else here..........omo.

Mine was ready in like 2 weeks.  I'm not going to do a thing until and if as you said, they change the interim requirements yet again!

Some people looked for the easiest COF they could find, I however chose an instructor who is very well known in the law enforcement community and I was lucky to pass having not been to a range in over 3 years!:lol: 

• Like 1

FWIW, Nappen is holding a seminar on the new requirements at Range 609 in Rio Grande (Cape May county) on Sunday, 8/13. While I am not going to take everything said as gospel, it is free for US LawShield members ($10 otherwise) and I can justify investing 3 hours on a Sunday to hear what Nappen has to say. It is sponsored by a training outfit called "Best Shot" and I have absolutely no doubt that they hope to use it to hard sell additional training that they will claim is needed to meet the new requirements, but that doesn't faze me. I have never had much trouble telling an aggressive sales person to "take a flying f*ck at a rolling donut"... https://texaslawshield.secure.force.com/pmtx/evt__QuickEvent?id=a2z6e00000bJd3G

On 8/4/2023 at 8:07 PM, Mrs. Peel said:

Isn't it sad when your new laws are so egregious, that even people on the other coast are making videos about them? Meanwhile, actual criminals don't need to post bail and are put right back on the street. Disgusting!

What could ever go wrong?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/oklahoma-suspect-allegedly-raped-woman-225757660.html

This afternoon I reached out to Shooters, where I qualified, about whether I needed to take any remedial action to satisfy the revised NJ training requirements. Tom Gormley's answer was: "Your qualification taken with Dave Cope is good until your expiration date of your permit." That's good enogh for me.

• Like 2

actually, wondered why more instructors aren't in a duck & cover mode after the initial costs for testing were announced along with COF from the different ranges and now this......I understand some instructors were grossing upwards of 8k for a class of students shooting on private property and not listed on the NJSP list of acceptable ranges.....why would this surprise anyone.

4 minutes ago, xXxplosive said:

you realize doin' the same thing over and over again with the same outcome is the Def. of insanity........omo.

It's the law.  Maybe it'll be struck down, but I seriously doubt it.  Certainly not by 1 October.  You do whatever you want.  I will be in compliance with the law.

• Agree 2

My plan:  Take the new course of fire.   If the new requirements are struck down by Oct 1, I can still use the new qualification for my next renewal. 

If you don't get re-qualified, it will most likely not make a difference - unless you end up involved in a real self defense shooting and the police, prosecutor, and judge agree that you don't have a valid permit - and they manage to convince a jury.

14 hours ago, Fawkesguy said:

It's the law.  Maybe it'll be struck down, but I seriously doubt it.  Certainly not by 1 October.  You do whatever you want.  I will be in compliance with the law.

maybe you should be more concerned with Constitutional Law rather than Murphy's Law.....and yup, there are ranges making statements that their COF given will be / is acceptable to NJ guidelines come 10/1....obviously there are some here that don't believe this to be true yet they go back to the same and do it all again...omo.

43 minutes ago, xXxplosive said:

maybe you should be more concerned with Constitutional Law rather than Murphy's Law.....and yup, there are ranges making statements that their COF given will be / is acceptable to NJ guidelines come 10/1....obviously there are some here that don't believe this to be true yet they go back to the same and do it all again...omo.

I live in NJ and will abide by NJ law.  You are free to ignore the entirety of NJ 2C:58, and simply follow the plain text of the 2nd Amendment.  Again, you can do whatever you want.

Has anything official come out yet ( 8/21/2023 ) on what we have to do if you already qualified and need to do a new course?   Now I'm hearing that if you qualified prior to July 18th 2023 all you need is updated use of force class.

does anyone have any official update?

thanks

3 hours ago, revenger said:

Has anything official come out yet ( 8/21/2023 ) on what we have to do if you already qualified and need to do a new course?   Now I'm hearing that if you qualified prior to July 18th 2023 all you need is updated use of force class.

does anyone have any official update?

thanks

Where did you you hear that?  I've not seen an update from ANJRPC or NJSP.

So far GFH and Shooters have said their quals are good to go, so if you went there you should be fine.

If you went somewhere else you may want to contact them.

21 hours ago, xXxplosive said:

....so how is that without holster draw, kneeling, barracade, etc........both places had their COF listed on their respective web sites.

Has to be 'similar', not exactly the same.

• Agree 1