matt6669

Anyone interested in Long Distance Shooting???

I came across this site last night in my travels and it's really got me thinking about what I want to do.

http://demigodllc.com/articles/practical-long-range-rifle-shooting-equipment/?p=1

Check it out, it's got boat loads of information and really explains how stuff adds up really quickly but how you could get into it fairly on the cheap side.

I think I might do a Remington 700 VLS with a US Scope that I can buy used and then I'll build my AR for the zombies hmmmm

Now I could sell my Remington 700 LSS and use that to fund this new toy, ahh the possibilities!

i personally think a long range bolt action and a shorter range ar is what i would want to do. i wish there were long range ranges here. cherry hill is 300 but i dont think thats far in bolt action world. although ive never shot anything 300 yards so it will be fun when i finally can.

Is 25yd considered Long Distance? :oops:

HAHAH nice troy!!

On the farm I have access to in NY I can probably squeeze about 600 yards but probably more the thing is HUGE!! I might have to setup an impromtu range. And there's a "raised island" in the middle, perfect back stop :)

And tim I don't always have this much spare time

Cheaper scopes don't have enough elevation for the longer ranges. The 850 yard range out here requires hold over from my 700P.

300 yard is easily handled by most decent quality scopes.

I'll be looking at this first

US Optics SN3, 3.2-17x44mm

And if I can't find that used I will be looking at

Leupold Mark 4, 3.5-10x40mm

Boy are those some expensive scopes, more than I paid for my current Remington 700 HAHAH :lol:

I have a Leopold MK IV on my 700P and I'm happy with it. Quality costs.

One of the requirements for the extreme ranges is keeping the bullet supersonic out that far. Yet light bullets get thrown around at those distances. Up here 5.56 loads require at least a 69 grain bullet for use on the 600 yard ranges. Even with a decent berm, a light bullet can be moved enough to miss it.

Zak is very knowledgable and writes some very good articles that are very good guidance. Leupold just aint what they used to be. Lots of better options for even money. Just make sure you match your reticle to your knobs. I recomend mil/mil. Remember, the scope and rifle are the small $$$$ in the equation. Buy once, cry once. I have had a number of USO scopes including an SN3. I had one of the Canadian Sniper trials over-runs. Its a very tough scope. If the likes of USO, Hendholt, Premiere, S&B are out of your budget, I have it on good authority that a number of good quality mid priced scopes were released this week at shot show. Vortex is one to look at.

Shane

I saw that site before, I got as far as page 4 and then got side tracked to AI rifles and .338 Lapua rounds. I was in dream land building the perfect long range rifle and picking out the ammo and then it hit me like a ton of bricks. The wife, kids, mortgage, cars, bills and next thing you know I'm back to picking out the perfect bolt action 22LR :violin:

Redfish, if you ever wanted an AI now is the time!!! When I got mine it was the time of year long waits and the rarity of a used one coming up for sale about every 6 months..... maybe. With the economy being what it is I have NEVER IN 8 YEARS seen so many like new AI's come up for sale at VERY GOOD prices. Not just AI's but basically all high end rifles really. Now if you dont need a full military ruggedised rifle, you might find the cost savings of the AE series more appropriate. 2010 models have a lot of new features previously not found in the AE line that have made them VERY attractive.

Now if anyone on here has an EDM Windrunner or a DTA 338lm they wanna trade for an AIAW, let me know I might be interested :)