bbk

Red Dawn remake!

This is probably old news to a lot of people. But yes, Red Dawn will be getting a remake: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Dawn_%282010_film%29

Filming has started, and its confirmed they will be filming a lot of it in Michigan and Detroit specifically. Its slated for a release next November 24, 2010.

One of the primary changes is that instead of a Soviet invasion, it will be a Chinese invasion! Hmm, should be interesting. I know I'll be keeping updated on this remake.

I posted my thoughts on this movie a year and a half ago at one of my websites : http://www.transasianaxis.com/vb/showpo ... stcount=11

Here is what I wrote:

I'm going to go on the record now and expect this new movie to be a big stinker. It will probably be some corporate conglomerate selling weapons to a militia of white men who attempt to overthrow the government and oppress minorities, woman and children with a fundamentalist view. Some charismatic black and latino gang members(with the help of "mujahadeen") will rise up and defeat the evil white men and their tanks and planes.

Funny, I almost got the plot to Avatar long before I'd ever heard of it. That message was posted on 7-14-2008.

Interesting indeed... just last week I was talking to a friend about Red Dawn and wondering if they would ever re-do it since that seems to be the thing to do these days in Hollywood. Can't say I'm overly optimistic that it'll even be half decent given the PC nature of most movies (i.e. changing what G.I. Joe stood for).

Be interesting to see how the Chinese get here since they have no appreciable airforce, aircraft carriers or ships to move anyone and they are technologically (as far as militarily) 15-20 yrs behind us.

Mike, are you serious? If there's one country that could take us out it WOULD be China. They have a huge military force and are not apart of the U.N. And you know Russia is on their side since their neighbors so we would basically be on our own other than Canada, and the U.K.

mikey has some valid points. While they do have a massive standing army, they do not have any easy way of transporting said standing army (by air or sea). As for their military technology, most of it is Soviet-era, revamped Soviet era, or revamped stolen tech from other countries. The only aspect of their military that is probably pound-for-pound "equal" to the US is their Navy... well, not even so, but specifically their submarines.

And honestly, I don't know if Russia would side with China. Russia in its current form is in no real shape to be involved in a long standing conflict. They sell most of their tech and hardware to keep their military fed and country wealthy enough to continue R&D and maintenance of necessary utilities. But then of course, Russia can do what it has always done, and that's take sides with both opposing groups-- and ultimately choosing the victorious side and reaping the benefits.

Be interesting to see how the Chinese get here since they have no appreciable airforce, aircraft carriers or ships to move anyone and they are technologically (as far as militarily) 15-20 yrs behind us.

Mike, are you serious? If there's one country that could take us out it WOULD be China. They have a huge military force and are not apart of the U.N. And you know Russia is on their side since their neighbors so we would basically be on our own other than Canada, and the U.K.

China won't even invade Taiwan because they know we would easily handle them in that situation.

You can forget about china being able to handle us.

Not even close.

They have a completely conscripted, non combat proven force with equipment that was equal to ours in 1975.

We would EASILY tear china's military apart pretty much anywhere on the planet.

They don't even have the capability to bring a war to anyone further from their shore then Taiwan.

Further more, CHina is part of the U.N.

They have a perm seat on the security council.

Russia actually has a MUCH greater chance of being involved in a war with the US.

SInce CHina really can't attack the US, I wouldn't worry too much about it, but if they did, you would have the NATO countries on our side (England,France,German,Poland,etc).

Ray-Ray needs to do some more reading :)

Do you know China does not even have the capability to produce jet engines?

They can't even make their own fighter planes.

The original one was a classic.

As for China, invading, I cant see it. The same 2 oceans that have always protected us are bit much to overcome. Can you imagine our Navy against thousands of transport ships. The original at least had some plausibility with the use of Mexico/Cuba and trying to split the counry in half.

In the miniseries, Amerika, this was the plan:

Four huge thermonuclear weapons are exploded in the stratosphere over the United States. The electromagnetic pulse (or EMP) of these weapons destroys the nation's military and commercial communications and computer systems, electrical grid, and, indeed, any piece of equipment that relies on computer technology, such as most late-model automobiles. With America's ICBMs inoperative, and the National Command Authority unable to contact U.S. military forces abroad to counterattack, America is forced to accept Soviet terms for surrender

I would hope by now they have figured out how to protect against EMPs but it could be the only way to move the plot along for a China invasion. China would have to take the cities on the west coast very quickly and try and dig in. The heartland is too big to hold on to.

As for Russia, I think they would sit it out, or dont be suprised if they came in on our side in exchange for some land in Northeastern China. I am sure they arent happy about a powerful neighbor close to Siberia's resources.

Much greater likelihood of China and Russia going to war then the US with either.

We have subs around the globe as well as warships with nuclear armed cruise missiles 24/7/365.

They are ALWAYS out there an we can strike anyone, anywhere at any time with nukes.

We also have far more capability then anyone else as it relates to detecting ICBMs, enemy aircraft or ships near (and not so near) our shores.

Since we also have MULTIPLE bases spread through out the globe, it wouldn't be very difficult for one of our bases in Germany,Japan, South Korea, etc to contact on of our subs, let them know where the strike originated and proceed to flatten that country.

Even out stealth bombers with nukes would be in the air well before a detonation over our airspace.

Hell, we could probably shoot down 3 or 4 ICBMS these days anyway with our AEGIS setups.

Their is probably no airforce on the planet that could exert air superiority over us, certainly on our own soil.

Throw up 15 F22's and it's game over for just about every single air force out there.

Hell, the 2nd largest airforce in the world behind the USAF is the US navy,

No sh!t our Navy has the 2nd largest airforce in the world.

From what I read when they first started putting this together it misses the WHOLE point of the original.

The guy who wrote RD is very pro-rights. I wouldn't count on anyone not into the hobby or interested in self defense rights to understand why I'd post this portion of the movie, but tell me if the new one will make points like this:

Shortly thereafter, Colonel Bella, a Cuban officer, instructs the KGB to go to the local sporting goods store and obtain the paperwork of local citizens who own firearms as likely sources of trouble. The Cuban officer specifically refers to Form 4473, which is the actual BATF form used to record the sale of a firearm by a dealer to a private citizen in the United States, suggesting the inherent danger in laws that require firearm registration.

I'd bet money that this will be modern US apologetic crap just like almost everything coming out of our country at this point.

Which is going to piss me off all the more because I grew up loving the first one so much! :D

I hope it is a better remake than the recent "The Day The Earth Stood Still". Remakes rarely live up to the original.

What can never be duplicated is the feel of the time. That was the "better dead than red" & "kill a commie for mommy" mid 80's. I don't know about an invasion but we all felt that nuclear war was a damn good possibility.

I hope it is a better remake than the recent "The Day The Earth Stood Still". Remakes rarely live up to the original.

What can never be duplicated is the feel of the time. That was the "better dead than red" & "kill a commie for mommy" mid 80's. I don't know about an invasion but we all felt that nuclear war was a damn good possibility.

That's the 80's truth!

In the movies, they can. But seriously, you are correct. It will never happen. China has a large poor population. The wealth is concentrated in maybe 10-15 of the population. No one today really wants to fight in a war (except the crazy 1% of the Muslims). Land grabbing is also an obsolete idea unless there is money involved for individual persons. Besides, why not just nuke the USA, its easier than spending billions on manpower and machinery :D

lol A major general in china said invading the U.S would be one of the dumbest moves ever. He said americans all have guns. Behind every blade of grass would be an american with a rifle

That quote was attributed to Yamamota, the JAPANESE fleet commander who attacked Pearl Harbor. It's also widely considered to be fabricated. The actual fake quote is "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."

lol A major general in china said invading the U.S would be one of the dumbest moves ever. He said americans all have guns. Behind every blade of grass would be an american with a rifle

That quote was attributed to Yamamota, the JAPANESE fleet commander who attacked Pearl Harbor. It's also widely considered to be fabricated. The actual fake quote is "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."

Not if the Democrats have their way! :deadhorse:

I saw RD for the first time a few months ago. Great movie.

But in all seriousness, having the 2a ought to be every immigrants Wet Dream. How many less Jews would be slaughtered if they were allowed to have guns in Germany under Hitler or Soviet Union under Stalin. In the United States, where about 30% of the citizens nationwide have firearms.... I pitty the fool who would want to wage all out war/invasion. Hell, even in NJ, with 10% of jersey population being firearms owners.... 800,000 armed Jersey Residents is a bigger standing army than almost anywhere else.

It would be nice to be the Swiss... every Swiss male gets an assult rifle. lol.

Watching Red Dawn now for the first time in years. Man, I really should take that opportunity to move out to CO...

A girl I am seeing is from there.

Her mom carries a G19 :)

Her stepdad has over 200 guns-shoots off their back deck.

Hope I make it out there one week this year :)