Old School

Who can I use for Blueing?

OK Lads! I did a search about blueing and came up kind of blank.

I'm looking for someone to blue a slide on a Kimber pistol. I prefer locally so I can see his work. I want someone who is not going to "Grind it up". i don't want rounded edges or markings.

Any suggestions appreciated.

I am not set up for blueing...yet. It is on my list of things for my shop.

Tim- Think twice about setting up blueing tanks. It was the nastiest part of our shop. Corrosive, megga ventilation and buy some rubber boots.

You thinking of a 3 or 4 tank set-up? Knowing what I know now, if I could find somebody that didn't grind them up, I would have sent my blueing out.

Frank

I am not set up for blueing...yet. It is on my list of things for my shop.

Tim- Think twice about setting up blueing tanks. It was the nastiest part of our shop. Corrosive, megga ventilation and buy some rubber boots.

You thinking of a 3 or 4 tank set-up? Knowing what I know now, if I could find somebody that didn't grind them up, I would have sent my blueing out.

Frank

Thanks for the info, the ventilation would be my biggest problem. I would want to do it out of my house in a seperate workshop with some good open air ventilation as well. It is not anything I am doing soon.

Bluing got to be a lost art. As stainless handguns became the rage and EPA regulations made disposal harder and the space taken by the equipment, most smiths stopped doing it.

I've heard good things about these people. Bluing isn't cheap I would guess due to the reasons above.

http://www.fordsguns.com/

RSCALZO- you're so right. Salt baths do get spent even if you don't over cook them. I would really have to see the MSDS to know how they are to be disposed of. My quess would be to cook out the water and dispose of the dry salt. Maybe not Hazardous Waste? But, you would have lots of scrapeing on the tanks :naughty:

Right. I think that's why so many stopped providing the service. The costs involved can't be made up on small infrequent jobs.

Page 8 has the instructions for disposal.

http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/learn ... Bluing.pdf

It's a lot of work and expense to provide the service. The cost to just break even on bluing a small item like a slide makes it expensive for the consumer. That's probably why dedicated refinishing operations are the only source left. they can built up a decent supply of work and do it all at once.

Tim - Corrosive enough that I used to go through a vent fan evert 6 months and if the salts splash on your work shoes it eats holes in them. Really look in to this.

That's why you go for an FRP fan, no metal to corrode.

Damned engineers! And a totally enclosed motor! cheaper to replace the fan every 6 months :shock:

Tim - Corrosive enough that I used to go through a vent fan evert 6 months and if the salts splash on your work shoes it eats holes in them. Really look in to this.

That's why you go for an FRP fan, no metal to corrode.

Damned engineers! And a totally enclosed motor! cheaper to replace the fan every 6 months :shock:

LABOR is ALWAYS your highest cost, especially when you have two trades involved (HVAC and Electrical).