EngineerJet

Need help on a speeding ticket

So it's been my first ticket in almost a decade so I'm a little rusty on the procedure. Pretty much I don't want any points so do I just set up a court date, then on the day I speak to the prosecutor to have them take the points off the table as long as I pay a fee?

that's one way to do it if you don't want to hire a lawyer...but if i recall from the last time i was in court the state has an extra charge if they plea down a ticket to a non point offense....i remember paying 200 or 250 for that alone.......good luck to you.

So it's been my first ticket in almost a decade so I'm a little rusty on the procedure. Pretty much I don't want any points so do I just set up a court date, then on the day I speak to the prosecutor to have them take the points off the table as long as I pay a fee?

You have to bargain with the prosecutor. I've not had a ticket in NJ, but back in Ohio, I had to threaten to go a Jury trial and I walked in there with a certified speedometer cert(showing a 5mph correction required, I knew a mechanic) and I finally just said...."look. Fair enough, the vehicle was speeding but I don't believe it's fair to punish me with points". He said "ok, double the fine then" I said...naw I'll take my chances with a Jury..." back and forth...got it down to $25 bucks and no points. LOL.

You have to bargain with the prosecutor. I've not had a ticket in NJ, but back in Ohio, I had to threaten to go a Jury trial and I walked in there with a certified speedometer cert(showing a 5mph correction required, I knew a mechanic) and I finally just said...."look. Fair enough, the vehicle was speeding but I don't believe it's fair to punish me with points". He said "ok, double the fine then" I said...naw I'll take my chances with a Jury..." back and forth...got it down to $25 bucks and no points. LOL.

This isn't Ohio. MV offenses are not part of the Criminal code, so there is no Jury Trial available.

Depending on your speed you will pay to save points. Check with your Insurance agent to see if they have "Accident/Speeding" forgiveness. Most do if you had a clean record and it is 4 points or less for the infraction. Second, if you have some cash then go for the "Careless driving" plea.... However, it is about $450 but you avoid the points. Do the math if your insurance goes up for 3 years and is on your record. The plea usually works better. However, I got a PA ticket 4 years ago and the 2 points were waived from my insurance company so I just paid the $86 ticket and moved on.

When my daughter was in an accident about 6 months ago we went to court and the prosecutor would call people in about 10 minutes before you meet with the Judge and explain your options. Good luck...

Insurance....

First 2 points typically are not held against you. Just an FYI.

Also, you are limited to 2 unsafe drivings.

If it is only a 2 pointer... your best bet may be to contribute to your town, and save the court costs.

By going to court, you will end up paying more in fees. etc.

This isn't Ohio. \

Yeah, that's too bad. Ohio has reasonable firearm laws and apparently recognizes the 6th amendment(right to confront accuser) as well as the 2nd.

and where does this fit in exactly???

This isn't Ohio. \

Yeah, that's too bad. Ohio has reasonable firearm laws and apparently recognizes the 6th amendment(right to confront accuser) as well as the 2nd.

and where does this fit in exactly???

Because you can haul the cop who pulled you over into court to testify against you. 99% are no shows, the 1% who do show have completely forgotten who you are and lawyers just trip them up on the facts vs what's on the ticket.

But the obvious question is....

Where you speeding? If you were... time to contribute to the township. Any time we go 1 mph over the speed limit, we are breaking the law, no matter what we think about it. If you are going 20 mph over the posted limit, and got caught...,

the few speeding tickets I had 8 to 10 years ago... I bitched about, but I was the one that pushed on the gas pedal.

wait...... by any chance are you driving a toyota? :lol:

Normally I would just go to the prosecutor so I can plea to unsafe driving and pay a fine, but this time the ticket is 85 in a 55 which I dont think even I'm savy enough to get them to drop it down to no points without a lawyer...

I would try and do that first. If the prosecutor says no.... then you can always ask to have the date moved so you can get a lawyer.

Was this on the parkway/turnpike or another "safety corridor"? that also carriers double the fines?

30 over is 5 points and a required court date... right?

[

Because you can haul the cop who pulled you over into court to testify against you. 99% are no shows, the 1% who do show have completely forgotten who you are and lawyers just trip them up on the facts vs what's on the ticket.

Well Sonofab!tch!!!!!!!! apparently this is somenting ELSE i've been doing wrong for the last 23 years.......

Glad you dont drive through my town, you'd be SORELY dissapointed by us.

Normally I would just go to the prosecutor so I can plea to unsafe driving and pay a fine, but this time the ticket is 85 in a 55 which I dont think even I'm savy enough to get them to drop it down to no points without a lawyer...

Even an Attorney isnt going to help much, there is only a certain amount they can work with, and 30 miles over is WAY past that IIRC.

the last time I plead to a no point ticket the best you could do was 2 point reduction.you could do that and go to a aaa driving school ,only a couple hours, that blocked my insurance company from using the remaining 2 points against me, actualy my rates were lowered 1 year later my points expired and the driving school cert lasted 3 years

What town did you get the ticket in? A lot depends on the town you get it in. Some prosecutors are just big a holes but some are cool and if you catch them in the right mood they will help you out. Lots of time you can plea it down and just pay the money. They don't want anything but your money remember that. You could try that BS fighting it and questioning the cop. It does work someti mes but not all the time.

Even an Attorney isnt going to help much, there is only a certain amount they can work with, and 30 miles over is WAY past that IIRC.

Unless he can use the Toyota defense.

my youngest son mikey was nailed last year 95 in 65, he talked to prosecutor and was able to get a no points ticket, 450.00 plus court costs..

that will take the lead out of your foot.. :lol::lol::lol: plus he had to deal with me for driving like that.. :naughty:

my youngest son mikey was nailed last year 95 in 65, he talked to prosecutor and was able to get a no points ticket, 450.00 plus court costs..

that will take the lead out of your foot.. :lol::lol::lol: plus he had to deal with me for driving like that.. :naughty:

Tony you should of taught him to get out of the ticket in the first place then he would of never had to pay the 450 dollars.

Knock on wood all of my encounters with police have been awesome. Sometimes I have even pulled over before they have even caught up to me. I've found that as long as your honest with the cop and no BS chances are he'll give you a break.

[

Well Sonofab!tch!!!!!!!! apparently this is somenting ELSE i've been doing wrong for the last 23 years.......

Glad you dont drive through my town, you'd be SORELY dissapointed by us.

I haven't had a ticket in 15 years so I'd only be disappointed if I got pulled over :D

I was gonna make some snide comment about you thinking you're in a jet and then I realized that your speed there hits too close to home for me. I'll just tuck my tail between my legs and move on...

So, instead, I'll offer up the following: Is this a legitimate ticket? Are you otherwise 'point free'? Could a lawyer argue that this was a momentary indiscretion? Is it worth it to just take your lumps this time??

Actually I was very polite to the officer, I'd end every sentence with sir and everything. I think I'll just take the advice on speaking to the prosecutor myself and seeing if I can drop it down to no points, and if not then I'll reschedule the court date to get a lawyer.