bulpup

Reloading to save $ ?

Do some handload to save cash?

I am interested in starting to reload as long as the outlay of the machinery can pay for itself. All I care to reload is 9mm and 22 at the moment. Does sticking to fewer calibers reduce the 'capital' outlay at all?

I load 9mm. Brass cased 115gr factory ammo goes for about $140/500 or $.28/round. I loaded 15000 rounds in the past year or a factory ammo cost would be $4200. 9mm bullets cost me .0725 ea + .035 for primer + (approx) .02 for powder = $.1275/round X 15000 = $1912.50

So I saved more than half the cost.

You have to figure in your time and you can set-up with GOOD Dillon equipment for about $500

Do some handload to save cash?

I am interested in starting to reload as long as the outlay of the machinery can pay for itself. All I care to reload is 9mm and 22 at the moment. Does sticking to fewer calibers reduce the 'capital' outlay at all?

The quick answer is yes, but it can be a little or a lot. :)

The dies for new calibers will always be an expense (around $40-50). It doesn't have to be a major expense though. I reload 308, 30-06, and 6.5 Swiss rifle calibers. They all use the same bullets (.30 caliber), powder, primers, and shellplate in my press. The difference is the brass and dies. Having these additional calibers only costs me more in brass and dies.

If you choose extra calibers that use different primers, powder, etc, it can get more expensive quickly.

BTW, if you mean 22LR, I don't know of any reloading machines that do rimfire ammo. Your best best there is just to find the brand that feeds well in your guns and buy in bulk. As for 9mm, the savings for reloading is marginal unless you shoot a lot. Considering you can drive to a PA Walmart and buy 9mm ammo for $10 (or less sometimes) or buy in bulk online, your savings is not going to be big unless you buy components in bulk (i.e. several thousand bullets at a time). If you really enjoy shooting as a hobby, consider getting a 45 pistol. It is the safest caliber to reload because of the relatively low pressures compared to 9mm, 40S&W, etc. It will also show you immediate big savings.

Sticking to fewer calibers will save the cost of the dies. A set of Pistol dies runs roughly $30.00. The more calibers you load, the more supplies you'll need, bullets maybe different primers and powders.

Here's a cost calculator to help figure your costs:

http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

I also shoot lead instead of FMJ and save a couple of bucks per box of 50 which adds up over time.

If you get supplies locally you'll save on ship costs and hazmat fees, but you'll pay tax and use gas. I find myself spending the money I save on more supplies, but I always have ammo to shoot. Ammo shortages don't effect me. It is also a hobby within a hobby that I enjoy as much as shooting.

one thing to consider... you will be spending a lot of time and effort reloading bullets. Not just actually performing the reload steps... you'll be sourcing powder, primers, brass, bullets... and it will probably cut into your range time because you'll be picking up brass instead of concentrating on shooting. Not only that, you could become one of the vultures that is always underfoot grabbing brass!

one thing to consider... you will be spending a lot of time and effort reloading bullets. Not just actually performing the reload steps... you'll be sourcing powder, primers, brass, bullets... and it will probably cut into your range time because you'll be picking up brass instead of concentrating on shooting. Not only that, you could become one of the vultures that is always underfoot grabbing brass!

It is true. I am a 10mm brass whore.

:twisted:

JD - you must be referring to me at BH.

Dont reload to save money, reload to make shooting more enjoyable.

Trust me, you will be shooting alot more once you start reloading. You will be buying more calibers once you start reloading.

I started out with 9mm and 45 gap. now I am setup to reload: 9mm, 45Gap, 45 ACP, 357/38 special, 223, 308, 7.5 swiss, 7.62x54r, and I have 8mm Mauser and 6.5 Swedish dies on order. Pretty soon I will be having 338 lapua dies too.

Reloading makes alot of sense for the more expensive calibers and most rifle calibers. The milsurplus calibers it doesnt make sense to reload to save money as you can easily pick up surplus stuff, however in any case, you can tailor a load to your liking.

Some folks like to load hot loads to feel the rush, others prefer loads light enough to just cycle the gun, to reduce wear and obviously make shooting more enjoyable.

So far I have chosen guns that are cheap to shoot, and will continue to try to keep the number of different calibers to a minimum. I'm going to try to keep it to .22LR, 9mm, 7.62x54R, and 12gauge. I can get a carbine that shoots 54R or 9mm (SVT-40, Storm, sub-2000). Between those calibers you can come up with a vast array of sweet weapons that are cheap to shoot.

You definitely CAN save money by reloading but you will also tend to shoot more.

You will turn into a brass scrounger.

9mm - Can load @ ~.12 a round buy @ ~.18

.40 & .357 Magnum - Currently loading @~.13 a round, buy @ ~.30

.45 - Loading @ .08 :D (Hornady LNL free bullets and a I got a great deal on some 230 FMJs for

$70/1000 shipped) buy @ ~.50 if you can find them.

There is a pretty steep buy in to start, but if you shoot ~5-6k rounds a year of more expensive rounds the reloading equipment pays for itself.

Not to mention its a hoot when you shoot the ammo you made and actually see it work.

The typical reason most people reload is that they are competitive shooters and need a round to just make Power Factor or they want a round that is more accurate than factory ammo. Try and find a decent .45 ACP SWC round and you will pay through the nose for it.

BTW: I am a recycler cleaing up after others, not a brass whore.

Well, you CAN save money reloading.

I never have. :D

If you were talking about 22lr, you can't really reload them. (there are a few tinkerers, but it aint for the light of heart.)

I reload for 9mm (among many other calibers) and will give you a cost breakdown:

Brass = free, (pick it up at the range)

Primer = At today's prices, figure 3c a piece

Powder= Less than a penny

Bullet (boolit, Yea, I'm one of them guys) Free, cast my own.

My cost is $4.00 per 100 rounds of perfect ammo taylor made for me and my gun.

You can get a set up to reload for about $140.00

Figure another $100.00 or so in casting gear if you dont want to buy bullets

So for the cost of 10 boxes of ammo, you can have unlimited ammo.

Having said all that, Reloading is a hobby in itself. If you don't enjoy it, it aint worth it. I like to reload, so it isnt a chore to me.

I have never save a penny reloading. I have shot a whole lot more.

No one has ever saved a penny golfing, or boating either.

Another thing is to reload for calibers that use the same bullets. IE 308 bullets are also used in 7.5 Swiss.

.308 is also used for 7.5 French. I use Lapua 6.5 Swedish brass to re-size into 7.5FR much cheaper than buying 7.5FR ammo.

These are great answers. I feel like I got pretty much the full picture here.

am intruged though. One answer said you can get set up for about $140. I was looking at stuff that seemed all inclusive at Cabela's for 4-700 dollars. What would the $140 rig be and where would I get it?

I am currently only interested in 9mm luger for my Glock. That might change if I get another handgun but not in the near future.

I am currently only interested in 9mm luger for my Glock. That might change if I get another handgun but not in the near future.

Don't forget you can't use lead bullets in your glock unless you get a different barrel.

And a single stage setup if you go with less, you can be setup for like 300 dollars. Talk to Maksim he uses Lee.

Don't forget you can't use lead bullets in your glock unless you get a different barrel.

oo, that's good to know. Thanks

These are graet answers. I feel like I got pretty much the full picture here.

am intruged though. One answer said you can get set up for about $140. I was looking at stuff that seemed all inclusive at Cabela's for 4-700 dollars. What would the $140 rig be and where would I get it?

The lee 50th anniversary kit is $134.00 + $40 for a set of carbide dies for your 9mm

Apparently, Glocks don't have a good relationship with reloads. (from what I've read, I don't own a glock) The polygonal? rifling doesn't like lead and the chamber leaves a bigger section unsupported. Of course an aftermarket barrel will solve that. I know lone wolf sells them for approx $150.00. (of course for a few hundred more you could get a real gun like a 1911 and put that glock back where it belongs holding a door open.. :D:D )

Wait, so is there no way to load 22LR even if you buy your own brass?

Well - I suppose technically if you buy the brass, it would come with the primer in the rim... But no, 22LR is not reloadable.

okay so the term would not be "reload" but maybe "load"? hand load? There is no way to save on 22LR by making your own from scratch?

Wait, so is there no way to load 22LR even if you buy your own brass?

Well - I suppose technically if you buy the brass, it would come with the primer in the rim... But no, 22LR is not reloadable.

okay so the term would not be "reload" but maybe "load"? hand load? There is no way to save on 22LR by making your own from scratch?

When you can buy 500 rds in bulk for about $20 it becomes a battle of half pennies. Please note that there ARE 22 centerfire cartridges which (I assume) are reloadable. My knowledge is on this topic is on the front (low) side of the learning curve but I don't believe that you can reload ANY rimfire cartridges and there are quite a few calibers.

Interesting reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rimfire_ammunition

There was (and maybe still is) a company selling primed 22lr brass. You would have to have a .22 mold of some sort and a set of dies custom made for you.

It is possible to handload 22lr. You will truly never save a dime, and I doubt you would get better results from your handloaded stuff as opposed to some match grade factory stuff.

I don't think even Olympic shooters handload there .22