Guest *_*

Beginning a plan to leave NJ, your thoughts?

So the wife and I are contemplating leaving NJ after being lifelong residents.

We do very well as I am an insurance broker who lives in Bergen County and pays 8k in taxes a year for a 1800sq ft condo in a highrise. I want to leave because of the following:

1) I want some space; I want some space, maybe 5-10 acres. The wife wants horses, I want a full on 500 yd range.

2) I cant justify in my mind paying these RIDICULOUS taxes on property and land in this state; I work out in Morris County, I drive all around the Morris, Somerset, Union county border on the back roads and it is so beautiful, and the houses are so nice, but the taxes totally turn me off, as well as the prices. These people have land that has been theirs for generations, I am convinced that is the only way to acquire a decent piece of land in NJ, all of NJ, even south Jerz.

3) Congestion, Corruption, Tight Ass Gun Laws; NJ is very tightly packed, the politicians spend money that is not theirs like its a lottery, the gun laws straight up suck. These are the bad sides of life in NJ.

What I am thinking: New Mexico. Around the Albuquerque area you can get land and a nice home for less than 500k. WOW! Ive been to NM on business, and it was beautiful, hypnotizingly beautiful. You still have access to an urban vibe in the ABQ (albeit I am not so into going out, I just want to know that I can take the wife out for a nice night on a town and not have to fly somewhere.)

I could have my land, range, my gun rights, my carry rights, (NM is an open or concealed state, with no AWB lists or any crap), as much hunting and hiking and shooting as I want, the wife could have her horses and garden, everyone is happy...

In a 1996 case, State v. Pelleteri, the NJ Supreme Court declared:

+1 for Colorado. There are some towns that are trying to NJify themselves, but CO in general has their minds in the right place (and the citizens are vehement about this-- which is obvious considering the amount of active duty, NG, Reserves, Vets, and defense contractors are out there).

As for the state, DTC is booming-- as is the population and business. And whether its the plains or the mountains, Colorado has either. If you're a shore/ocean kind of person, it can get a bit boring... but I personally loved waking up to the sun coming over the plains, and setting over the Rockies. And during the spring and summers, seeing the storms out to the east in Nebraska and Kansas was really something... in the pitch black, you would see flashes of lightning (kind of reminded me of mortar fire at night)-- but no thunder... quite spooky at first, but pretty amazing.

I can't speak for around Albuquerque, but my cousin and his 5 kids are moving to PA from Albuquerque, because it is going down hill fast. He was telling me how "people" are stealing anything not nailed down and some things that are. When he first moved there 15 years ago he moved to a nice suburb with lots of familys. Now just last year that same suburb had 5 houses raided for meth labs.

Really the only thing Jersey has is a decent job market and convenience as far as shopping is concerned. I grew up where shopping in the mall was 45 minutes away. Getting into town was a 15 minute car ride. These days as long as you have internet, water, power... who cares? Amazon Prime free (ish) 2 day shipping on a lot of the stuff you need, and you may not have access to some of the luxuries that you do in NJ. You lose the taxes, the fast paced lifestyle, the stupid laws. Lots of people put their working life in NJ, make a bunch of money, put it in a house.... then sell it all and retire to a nice home half the value of their NJ property and live on the house$+retirement

I like your idea, ABQ is a great town as is anything north. But your financial concerns are valid, the job/financial market there is not good currently. Keep your idea.... but for a temp fix think Allentown, Pa area. You could still be in the marketplace within 45 to 1hr, land is not as costly, and PA is still the USA.

I am stuck in SJ until my kids get out of high school.... but then I am into PA so fast your head will spin.

Vin,

I know you are mostly on the commercial side, but dont you own your own trails and renewals?

But your concerns are very much the same as mine.... the hustle and bustle of nj.

Maks, I could probably get a buy out on my book. Its all commercial.