65pony

.357 Suggestions

My girlfriend has been looking at 9mm's for weeks now, until yesterday when she shot a revolver for the first time (mine). She changed her mind from semi-auto to revolver almost instantly, and wound up shooting and then buying a S&W Model 19 .357 Combat Magnum in beautiful shape for $350 OTD. She's happy. I'm also happy that's it's in our humble home :icon_e_wink:.

Well PP is in and now time to decide, after doing more research leaning towards a 686 4" Stainless DCM. Now to do a side by side comparison down range. Thanks for all the feedback!

That was my first handgun, and one of my favorite's. Good choice.

My girlfriend has been looking at 9mm's for weeks now, until yesterday when she shot a revolver for the first time (mine). She changed her mind from semi-auto to revolver almost instantly, and wound up shooting and then buying a S&W Model 19 .357 Combat Magnum in beautiful shape for $350 OTD. She's happy. I'm also happy that's it's in our humble home :icon_e_wink:.

I believe the S&W Model 19 may be the finest, best balanced 357 mag revolver ever made. I regret having sold mine. What else is new? :)

I believe the S&W Model 19 may be the finest, best balanced 357 mag revolver ever made. I regret having sold mine. What else is new? :)

I had wanted a S&W 686 with a 6" barrel and had also considered a 586. I've shot my buddies' 4" 686 a couple times, but handled a used Model 19 with a 6" barrel today and think I may just buy it. I'm actually doing some research on them right now.

Well as suggested I finally made it to the range and "tested" both, while I thought one of these was what I wanted, I came away a bit disappointed, that is, now thinking of finding something a bit smaller yet still a .357/38. Any suggestions will be helpful. This will be my first wheel gun and looking for the right fit/feel.

while I thought one of these was what I wanted, I came away a bit disappointed, that is, now thinking of finding something a bit smaller yet still a .357/38. Any suggestions will be helpful. This will be my first wheel gun and looking for the right fit/feel.

Curious as to what didn't "feel" right about these, especially in light of your unfamiliarity with revolvers. Was it overall size? Barrel length (what length did you shoot)? Grip size? Trigger pull? I know that "feel" is subjective, but if you want us to help you out, we need a little more to go on. The L-frame S&W's can be had in a variety of barrel lengths - which will change the balance of the gun. If you want to go smaller overall, you can go with a K-frame in a model 19 or 66 - however, be aware that these have the same grip size as the L-frame. They will "feel" significantly different because of the lighter weight, as these have only an ejector-rod housing, not a full underlug. You can step all the way down to a J-frame, but I never thought a .357 made much sense in a J-frame anyway, and I can't imagine wanting one for a range gun.

Let us know specifically what you didn't like and then maybe another range session, with some new contenders is in order. Wheelgunners always welcome another to the fold.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I agree. Be it the 4" or the 6", both are nicely balanced. Durability issues aside, my nod is for the 6"; my first revolver purchased in the mid-70's and one I can't seem to part with.

I have a Taurus .357. I forget what model it is. I think is is something in the 65 series. Its a really nice 6 shot, with a 6 inch ported barrel. The ported barrel is really key for recoil management. The gun kicks less then my .38 snub. Everyone who shoots the Taurus .357 at my range loves it.

Taurus makes 7 and 8 shot .357 revolvers. You might want to consider those. I know I have the 8 shot somewhere on my list of things to buy. I need to get a .44 Mag first and a few other things to round out my collection, before I buy another .357.

Check out the 608

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=250&category=Revolver&toggle=tr&breadcrumbseries=LF2

BTW... There is a reason why you have two hands... Two Revolvers.

Appreciate the help here, to add a bit more, both were 4" and full frame. While gripping they felt nose heavy and overall were not comfortable. This is probably due to the fact I don't have large mitts to begin with, nevertheless a bit unwieldy. Trigger pull was fine on both and recoil was not really an issue. After hearing some feedback I resumed search and looking at perhaps a Model 66 3" barrel, thanks for listening.

I'm looking to get a wheel gun in this caliber some day. Having shot both the S&W's and the Ruger, you cannot go wrong with either.

Personally, I prefer the Ruger. But it isn't because of any really key reason since the quality of both is excellent.

I have a stainless GP100 that is about 1 1/2 years old. The trigger is very nice. I don't think you could tell the difference between mine and a new smith.

I went through the same decision and chose the GP100 and am quite satisfied. It's an awesome revolver.

Good luck in your choice!

Well finally did it...that is made up my mind and bought my first revolver. After much deliberation and research, including this post, ordered a 686+, 3" barrel, picked it up this evening and all I can say is wow. Had to run a few rounds through before I left the shop, both .38 and .357, trigger was smooth and with a 3" barrel the rounds placed well on the target at various distances. Nice addition to the small, but growing collection. Thanks everyone for your input.

Well finally did it...that is made up my mind and bought my first revolver. After much deliberation and research, including this post, ordered a 686+, 3" barrel, picked it up this evening and all I can say is wow. Had to run a few rounds through before I left the shop, both .38 and .357, trigger was smooth and with a 3" barrel the rounds placed well on the target at various distances. Nice addition to the small, but growing collection. Thanks everyone for your input.

I have a 686+ with a 4" barrel, love it, even if its a PITA to clean.