Pew Pew Plates

time for the classic AR-15 VS AK47/74 THREAD!

And swords have killed more than both AK and AR combined.....

I dont think the AR has to prove anything at this point. It is a pretty evolved design. The M4 myth article I referenced earlier is from a person whos seen more rifles in theater than this group has probably ever seen.....

and Glenn, does the body count really "count" when so much of it is tribe on tribe???? :mrgreen:

Geez Chris Glenn. lol.

Look, unless you owned both, you shouldnt have the ability to vote.

Having Said that... Glenn, have you ever owned an AR?

Nooope but i've had the dishonor of cleaning and using them. Why would I want to own one? lol

*sigh* :facepalm:

I think it depends on the role you plan on playing. You can increase the accruacy of an AK by tightening up the headspace but then it will no longer feed all ammo reliably.

The AK is designed to be issued to peasants and train them on how to use the rifle in about 10 minutes, obviously that's not the case with the AR. The AK is designed to be made in 3rd world country's from craptastic tooling and fire crap ammo reliably. But... When those 12 special forces guys were found behind enemy lines during the 1st Gulf war they wound up killing almost 400 Iraqi's. Part of that was the ordanance they had dropped nearly on top of them when they were being overrun but they were killing Iraqi's out at 600-800 Meters with impunity while the enemy was attempting to close on the US position.

In the jungle I'd say AK or other harsh environment where vision is obscured behond 100 meters. In open country with long visibility, an AR. If I had an AR and saw 4 guys coming towards me with AK's at over 800 Yards, I'd probably have 4 AK's to add to my collection.

Both weapons have undergone significant changes in the way they are manufactured and the AK fire control has been upgraded several times since it was originally issued for safety and reliability reasons so it's not like the design for either has remained stagnant.

I would never use US made AK mags, I have heard nothing but horror stories about how terrible they are.

Yugo Mags have a BHO open feature, and you can modify standard mags to achieve the same purpose if you want. Basically the follower comes up and keeps the bolt carrier from slamming forward. Unfortunately unless you adjust the safety lever to grab the carrier, its just going to slam forward when you go to change magazines. So not really useful for anything other than to tell you that you're out of Ammo.

As far as the caliber, The USSR changed to use the smaller 5.45 round as standard issue over the larger round and several groups now use the AR chambered in 6.8 to overcome that perceived deficiency

I personally own both. So... I guess my choice is an FAL. ;)

OK take your AK and AR and bury them for lets say a month then get back to me !

And i have both .

I call these treads the old Ford, Chevy, Dodge fight :deadhorse:

One can say....

Your life is dependent on open sights taking down a tango at 400 yards. You have 10 rounds for 5 bad guys.... what do you wish you have? =)

It really is a personal preference

I can say that I have seen people killed, and i almost got killed, because of malfunctioning 16's. We would often play with captured Hadji weapons and I can say they were beat to hell but utterly reliable. I have handled captured weapons anywhere from the desert to jungles and can say that they all were perfectly functional. There is a reason that I refused to carry a 16, and carry a 14 instead. This is the same reason why I will never own an AR. For reliability, AK all the way. Now if there is ever a day when we have zombie groundhogs, maybe a AR should be capable for that threat.

I would take this.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =186447635

Vepr 2 in 308.

heavier receiver off of the RPK machine gun.... reliability of an AK, with match barrel and 2 stage trigger.

50 minutes left on the auction Maks. How are you not jumping on this? :)

It's the guy I bought my 7.62VEPR from.

the one thing about an AR is the sighting system. If they have peep sights for AK's.... I would be all over it.

Actually, in all of the american military rifles, the peep sights rock.... alot easier than aligning the post to be in the valley.

the one thing about an AR is the sighting system. If they have peep sights for AK's.... I would be all over it.

Actually, in all of the american military rifles, the peep sights rock.... alot easier than aligning the post to be in the valley.

AK Peep sights for the win!

http://www.mojosights.com/ak47_sks.html

http://www.krebscustom.com/PartsPages/K ... arts.shtml

http://www.tech-sights.com/

I prefer the AK for all the reasons listed.. but I am still considering a piston AR..

I chose AR. Shocking, I know :p

I don't buy the reliability issues.. learn what works and what doesn't with an AR, and move on. I also don't buy the "poodle shooter" ammunition argument. Do your research and find rounds that work. As civilians, we are not limited by the constraints the military has with regards to ammo.

That said, I have nothing against AKs - I have a 5.45 Saiga. I keep it around in case the Zombies come and I need to give one of my dumbas$ neighbors a gun :D

The poll is for SHTF, so you are voting AK, but saying AR! :lol: