joejaxx

Magpul PMAG 15s (*NATIVE* 15 rounders)

Finally! I have been waiting for these forever! No more "questionable" blocked 20 or 30 rounder magazines. I have been trying to figure out who to get these from. Magpul has them in their 2010 catalogue listed at $13.95 USD.

It looks like Midway USA might have them soon:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=166648

they are out. i got 2 from riflegear, and isnt there a new sponsor to this board also offering them?

I bought some from Riflegear as well a while back. I believe those mags are blocked by Riflegear from 20 rd PMags.

they are out. i got 2 from riflegear, and isnt there a new sponsor to this board also offering them?

I just got 3 recently from Riflegear.com. They work great.

I didn't think of checking forum sponsors, since most of my recent purchases have been for shooting black magic. Guess I'm outta the loop with these 20th Century platform rifles.....

Just want to reiterate these are all BLOCKED 20rd PMags... from Riflegear, PK90, or Midwest PX

The 15rd *manufactured by* Magpul PMag has not been released yet.

That and now we can get regular PMAGs straight from Magpul price of 14 USD instead of the 20-30 usd for "converted" ones. :p People should be happy!

I ordered mine threw a vendor here (Midwest PDX), and can't be more happier. It's the same whether Midwest PDX blocks them or Magpul.

Now, if these are actual 15 rounders, in 15 round bodies, then that might be different.

Just got this email response from Magpul this morning.....

Thank you for the inquiry. We do have them in the works and are hoping to have it out sometime this fall. I apologize there is no specific date. Please check our website periodically for updates. They will be up there as soon as they are available.

AMANDA VELOZ

CUSTOMER SERVICE

MAGPUL INDUSTRIES CORP.

[o] 303.828.3460x111 [f] 303.828.3469

magpul.com | magpuldynamics.com | magpul-pts.com

but it belongs in the will believe it when I see it.

Too true. Still, I wonder what this is going to mean for other retailers who currently sell blocked magazines. Even with the 15/20, I definitely still want to have access to 15/30 (I prefer a full 30 rd magazine; easier for reloads for me)...

Just got this email response from Magpul this morning.....

Thank you for the inquiry. We do have them in the works and are hoping to have it out sometime this fall. I apologize there is no specific date. Please check our website periodically for updates. They will be up there as soon as they are available.

AMANDA VELOZ

CUSTOMER SERVICE

MAGPUL INDUSTRIES CORP.

[o] 303.828.3460x111 [f] 303.828.3469

magpul.com | magpuldynamics.com | magpul-pts.com

Not surprising - Midway has a habit of listing Magpul items way before they're available. They did the same thing with the MS3 sling for a while, but eventually took it off the site.

they were "announced" at the shot show in Jan, however they were in the Magpul catalog and somewhere else close to a year ago.

Once again, it will depend on how they block them to 15 in the 20 round bodies... will it be a pin or something better like blocks inside....

nice, keep us updated.... what bothers me...

"Utilizing the proven PMAG 20 straight body design, the 5/10/15 round PMAG features a capacity-limiting lock plate that can be set by the user to inhibit round capacity. Intended for commercial sporting use only."

"Utilizing the proven PMAG 20 straight body design, the 5/10/15 round PMAG features a capacity-limiting lock plate that can be set by the user to inhibit round capacity. Intended for commercial sporting use only."

Yeah I noticed that also Maks,but to me it reads as if the capcity limiting plate would in essence be the permanent block.The commercial sporting use statement is also a little worrisome as it seems to imply the mag would somehow be less reliable or not as robust as a standard Pmag.

I think part of what's delaying the release of the limited capacity PMAGs is legalities. As it's been pointed out, the capacity can be set by the user. These are supposedly going to be made with a 20rd body so if you remove the limiting plate altogether, you'd be in violation of the local laws. I highly doubt Magpul will offer them as three different SKUs and instead, the individual dealers will likely have to set the capacity before shipping them. But then you run into the issue of permanently modifying them so they cannot be turned into large/high capacity magazines. The whole situation could be alleviated if Magpul would make different size bodies rather than just re-using the 20rd body.

I think part of what's delaying the release of the limited capacity PMAGs is legalities. As it's been pointed out, the capacity can be set by the user. These are supposedly going to be made with a 20rd body so if you remove the limiting plate altogether, you'd be in violation of the local laws. I highly doubt Magpul will offer them as three different SKUs and instead, the individual dealers will likely have to set the capacity before shipping them. But then you run into the issue of permanently modifying them so they cannot be turned into large/high capacity magazines. The whole situation could be alleviated if Magpul would make different size bodies rather than just re-using the 20rd body.

Thanks Ty! So question... why would they release these mags to let the user select? Or what would be the plus to the end user? I mean if you want to load 10 rounds in a 30 round mag.... why not just do that and not worry about resetting the plate?

As a Magpul distributor, do you have any specific insight into this?

Aren't these the same mags that Arms & Ammo has been selling for at least a year now. Although I believe I bought mine for $25 instead of $13...

No, these are factory Mags, and have NOT been available until now, they were only announced at SHOT in Feb i Believe. Arms & Ammo, Pk90 here on the forums. PERSONALLY converted those 20-rounders to 15, and in a way that still allowed the purchaser to Put in the ranger plates, clean the mag body, and put the dust cover on the bottom. Pauls conversions were the best out there iMO, and well worth the money.

Thanks Ty! So question... why would they release these mags to let the user select? Or what would be the plus to the end user? I mean if you want to load 10 rounds in a 30 round mag.... why not just do that and not worry about resetting the plate?

Probably a cost issue. Magpul having to do the capacity selection themselves would mean more value-added that they would have to invest in the product and if they want to sell it at the same price as the 20rd PMAG, that means less profit. Additionally, they'd create three new SKUs which would force them to increase product in the pipeline from them all the way through to the dealer.

There really isn't an upside to the user-selectable feature for end customers in states with capacity restrictions. Every law I've read has said the mag must be permanently modified to only hold up to X number of rounds. If anything, the user-selectable feature is a hinderance for customers in CA, NY, NJ, etc. Maybe if someone in a "free" state wanted to use a mag for hunting/sporting purposes, it would make sense. Go hunting on a weekend, set your mag to 5rds. Go to the range the next weekend, remove the plate and voila, you've got a 20rd mag. But this flexibility is a potential liability to sell them in capacity restricted states.

Probably a cost issue. Magpul having to do the capacity selection themselves would mean more value-added that they would have to invest in the product and if they want to sell it at the same price as the 20rd PMAG, that means less profit. Additionally, they'd create three new SKUs which would force them to increase product in the pipeline from them all the way through to the dealer.

There really isn't an upside to the user-selectable feature for end customers in states with capacity restrictions. Every law I've read has said the mag must be permanently modified to only hold up to X number of rounds. If anything, the user-selectable feature is a hinderance for customers in CA, NY, NJ, etc. Maybe if someone in a "free" state wanted to use a mag for hunting/sporting purposes, it would make sense. Go hunting on a weekend, set your mag to 5rds. Go to the range the next weekend, remove the plate and voila, you've got a 20rd mag. But this flexibility is a potential liability to sell them in capacity restricted states.

MidwestPX hit the nail on the head. Making three new magazine bodies means needing three new molds, three new designs, and less profit. The sad reality is that only a small handful of states still even have these junk laws anyway, so it makes an already profit-reducing venture even less profitable as there is little demand.

I think they may have designed these without thinking all the way through. They may have underestimated the strictness of these laws and may not even be aware that just having an adjustable, removable block is not good enough to satisfy states like NJ. That or these are simply an auxiliary product primarily geared towards hunters.