AtlanticCounty

Philly confiscates guns from legal non-resident permit holde

The article refers to the Florida Loophole - that is PA residents carrying concealed on a FL permit - not PA non-residents doing the same. Non-residents have nothing to fear (well, one never knows which way the Philly PD is going to go). No less illegal picking on PA residents, but the Philly police seem to write their own laws and let the courts sort things out. There are bills in the PA legislature to prevent PA residents carrying on out of state permits. Sponsor was a guy named Lentz.

Here's a better one for you:

After her son was killed in 2008, Sherderian Sutton got a Philadelphia license to carry a concealed weapon and a small Ruger pistol to protect herself and her surviving children.

On Monday, when police knocked on her door, Sutton hoped that they were bringing the news she's waited two years to hear.

"I thought they were coming to my door to tell me they had my son's murderer," she said. "But they were coming to take me and my gun, and now I'm defenseless."

Sutton, 38, of North Philadelphia, said that her troubles began last week, when workers from Wilco Cable came to her back door to ask for permission to work in her yard.

She's never had cable, but told them that they could work through her back yard to connect her neighbors' cable. Sutton said that she also asked the workers to never use the back door again.

On Monday, Sutton said, she was awakened by incessant pounding on her back door about 8 a.m. She looked out of the window and saw two men and a woman at her back door, peering in her window.

Scared, Sutton said she grabbed her gun and held it at her side as she answered the door.

She said that she never left her house and never raised the gun. Although they had no identification tags, Sutton said that the three identified themselves as Wilco workers and again asked permission to work on her property. She granted it, but asked why they continued to knock on her back door, despite her previous requests to use the front door.

Sutton said that the workers went about their business but three hours later, about 11:25 a.m., police came to her door. She said she let them in and they went through her house - with guns drawn - even pointing them at her 14- and 16-year-old children.

She said that she was taken into custody, held for 12 hours - from 2 p.m. to 2 a.m. - and that her gun and her license to carry it were taken away from her.

According to court records, Sutton, who has no record, was charged with simple assault and possessing instruments of a crime, both misdemeanors.

Lt. Frank Vanore, police spokesman, said that according to the police report, the cable workers alleged that Sutton was pointing a gun at them when she opened the back door.

What neither side seems to dispute is that Sutton never left her house. Even though a citizen is not required to have a license to carry a firearm in his or her own house, Sutton did, and had both the license and her gun taken away as a result of the incident.

Here's the link: http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20100 ... e_gun.html

And you thought NJ was bad.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Yea I still think NJ is bad. What happened to that woman is BS. Even if she DID point the gun at them, she could easily get off. She had already asked that they not knock on her back door, they woke her up so she was surprised by their presence, and they did not have identification visible. Any judge with half a brain would understand that she did nothing wrong......unfortunately that may be too much to ask.

I was thinking the same thing. They can take my sig, I will get another with my 10k. lol

Funny but not the point. Where is the NRA with this. We need an Al Sharpton for the nra/

If you mean that as in a leader who will support their followers, then yes. If you mean that as a dumb uneducated idiot who pulls the race card for fun....then no, I do not want someone like that representing what I believe in.

Shoot.....If that article was published here in NJ? I'd declare victory for NJ-CCW. :lol: :roll:

Fact is. Phila. PD (& God bless 'em) is under the head-ship of hardcore anti-gun politicians thru & thru. I PRAY that PA doesn't let Phila county become like "NJ", as far as 2nd Amend issues. :pray:

The article refers to the Florida Loophole - that is PA residents carrying concealed on a FL permit - not PA non-residents doing the same. Non-residents have nothing to fear (well, one never knows which way the Philly PD is going to go). Pizza Bob

So what you are saying is that if we live in NJ, we can still go into philly with our FL permits?

I was thinking the same thing. They can take my sig, I will get another with my 10k. lol

Funny but not the point. Where is the NRA with this. We need an Al Sharpton for the nra/

+1, NRA is AWOL in NJ. Sorry to say, but there is lot of talk and pontification as to what a member should do ... call / write to your congressman blash blah blah! What is the membership for? representation.

Wait! Wait! Where's Captain PA touting the wonders of carry permits in PA and how they have more than TX etc ad infinitum? Seems like this is just NJ west... I guess America starts in OHIO. ;)

This is a Philthy-specific problem, NOT a Pa problem. Philthy has made their own rules since the days of Frank Rizzo..think "Daley-Light" they're answer has always been, "So?? Sue us".

The article refers to the Florida Loophole - that is PA residents carrying concealed on a FL permit - not PA non-residents doing the same. Non-residents have nothing to fear (well, one never knows which way the Philly PD is going to go). Pizza Bob

So what you are saying is that if we live in NJ, we can still go into philly with our FL permits?

That is absolutely correct. At this point PA residents are also legal to carry on an out of state permit. The Lentz bill has yet to come up for a vote and since the rest of PA would just as soon give Philly to NJ, it's unlikely this bill will gain any traction in the PA legislature. But, as written, it is only aimed at PA residents.

Since when does a city get to make their own rules? Oh wait... forgot about "New York City State"

In PA they don't - they have pre-emption. However, that has never stopped Philly (and few other burgs around the state with anti-2A mayors) from passing laws that violate that pre-emption. Just once I'd like to see one of these a$$hats get prosecuted for violating state law - that would put an end to it pretty darn quick. As it is, if you get charged under one of these illegal laws, you have to spend money to defend yourself, up to the point a judge throws it out. Don't know if you can recover any of that - doubtful.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Hell...I would like to go to Philly and have them do that to me....18 hrs being detained and I bet they get at least 10k out of it. You can handcuff me to a bed in the Police station for 18hrs for 10k

If I drive all the way to Philly to get handcuffed to a bed it sure isn't going to be in the police station. :D

Since when does a city get to make their own rules? Oh wait... forgot about "New York City State"

Citie4s have been doing it for decades. DC, Chicago, NYC, LA, Jersey City was the first to try in NJ to have an OGAM..it was shot down at the time, but then it went statewide. Cities can do whatever they want, cna enact ANY law they see fit. Whether or not it will stand up to challenges is an altogether different thing. Philly has been INFAMOUS in Pa for decades for the way they make their own gun laws as they go.

+1, NRA is AWOL in NJ. Sorry to say, but there is lot of talk and pontification as to what a member should do ... call / write to your congressman blash blah blah! What is the membership for? representation.

For me, it's kinds like a contractor. You put a deposit, they do some work, then you pay some more every week there's progress until the job is done. Pay the NRA membership dues the same way (unless of course you already paid to be a lifetime member). :lol:

For me, it's kinds like a contractor. You put a deposit, they do some work, then you pay some more every week there's progress until the job is done. Pay the NRA membership dues the same way (unless of course you already paid to be a lifetime member). :lol:

Problem is there's been no progress - they haven't bought materials or shown up on the jobsite so why should I pay them?????????

The NRA's scope is national. ANJRPC is the state chapter of the NRA. They are active on the state level (maybe not as active as some would like), and doing what they are supposed to be doing, as is the NRA at the national level. Not saying we shouldn't criticize if an entity is not accomplishing its mission, but understand what that is and don't be a devisive factor in the overall struggle.

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob