Sign in to follow this  
Soju

Just to buy ammo...

I am not in Jersey by choice, I just happened to be stationed here. Since I have guns, and like to shoot, I figured I'd get my NJ Firearms Purchase ID. Local PD says because I don't have a NJ drivers license to go to the State PD, and have called to confirm. So I go to the State PD, and they tell me they were wrong and to go back. I explain to them I was there and was sent to them after they called to ask, they don't care. I ask them if they can call the local PD to explain to them, they refuse. I explain to them that I am an out of state resident regardless, and that out of state residents are required to apply at a State PD, they won't help me. I call the local PD back and they again direct me to the State PD. I really should have taken names of everybody I dealt with. New Jersey is the most ridiculous state to deal with. After all this I am still no closer to getting a FPID. I'll just stick with buying ammo online and out of state. Much easier in the end, and significantly cheaper.

Since I was out and about anyways, I figured I'd check out the local places around that sold firearms and ammo. I was shocked! I figured they would be higher than other places, but some places were just ridiculous. Generally, anything at MSRP is usually too high, but the prices were significantly (100's) above MSRP at one place! Ammo prices appeared to be about 25% higher than I've seen elsewhere, and that isn't even including sales tax. General knowledge was also terrible. When one of the employees asked for help, I joked with my buddy that he probably wouldn't even know what I was talking about if I asked. But joking or not, I was right. Is this normal for Jersey? I am thinking that it was just this one store. The other store seemed more reasonable.

I am not in Jersey by choice, I just happened to be stationed here. Since I have guns, and like to shoot, I figured I'd get my NJ Firearms Purchase ID. Local PD says because I don't have a NJ drivers license to go to the State PD, and have called to confirm. So I go to the State PD, and they tell me they were wrong and to go back. I explain to them I was there and was sent to them after they called to ask, they don't care. I ask them if they can call the local PD to explain to them, they refuse. I explain to them that I am an out of state resident regardless, and that out of state residents are required to apply at a State PD, they won't help me. I call the local PD back and they again direct me to the State PD. I really should have taken names of everybody I dealt with. New Jersey is the most ridiculous state to deal with. After all this I am still no closer to getting a FPID. I'll just stick with buying ammo online and out of state. Much easier in the end, and significantly cheaper.

Since I was out and about anyways, I figured I'd check out the local places around that sold firearms and ammo. I was shocked! I figured they would be higher than other places, but some places were just ridiculous. Generally, anything at MSRP is usually too high, but the prices were significantly (100's) above MSRP at one place! Ammo prices appeared to be about 25% higher than I've seen elsewhere, and that isn't even including sales tax. General knowledge was also terrible. When one of the employees asked for help, I joked with my buddy that he probably wouldn't even know what I was talking about if I asked. But joking or not, I was right. Is this normal for Jersey? I am thinking that it was just this one store. The other store seemed more reasonable.

Yes, All of this is pretty normal for New Jersey. :p It is too bad this is the case.

Normally, I would try to defend my homeland but not anymore. Yes the state police and local police departments have no idea what there talking about. I bought a firearm in Oregon with my military ID and NJ license, that's it. Your military ID is considered a passport not a state ID. I don't know what gunshop you went to but it really doesn't matter. Do your homework for a purchase online (this site is a great start) and work from there.

btw, welcome to New Jersey and NJGF!

and thanks for your service

I worked in a gun store run by cops! The so-called gunsmith tells me he does NOT know anything about Handguns or Black guns, He does Not know military either. So what does he confess to know anything about? Shotguns! The lack of knowledge is off the scale! I worked there six months and left.

I assume you're stationed at Fort Dix? Head over into PA and go to a Walmart for ammo :)

Online would be better but you can get lucky in PA Walmarts if you go t ones not so close to NJ. The ones in Tullytown and Bristol are hit and miss.

Just got back from spending a few days in Pa. I wound up stopping at.......I hate to say it, but yes a walmart and buying out the rest of their Federal 9mm 50 rds. for $10 a box. They didn't ask for ID. They were out of .38 and their .45 ACP was not really a bargain so I just took the 9mm. The also had H&R Pardner Protectors for $149. I'm bringing a COE when I go back to that area again next month and am grabbing one.

Guest schutzen-jager

Just got back from spending a few days in Pa. I wound up stopping at.......I hate to say it, but yes a walmart and buying out the rest of their Federal 9mm 50 rds. for $10 a box. They didn't ask for ID. They were out of .38 and their .45 ACP was not really a bargain so I just took the 9mm. The also had H&R Pardner Protectors for $149. I'm bringing a COE when I go back to that area again next month and am grabbing one.

most pa. dealers laugh when you ask them to sign nj coe - most absolutely refuse out right -

The COE is the most retarded paperwork I have every seen. You keep a copy and the dealer keeps a copy and no one cares. No one else looks at it or cares.

That's true out of state, but in state, if the NJ dealer gets audited by the NJSP Firearms unit, I suspect one of the things they look for is a copy of the COE attached to the 4473.

I was at the East Stroudsburg Wal Mart last weekend. Noticed that in the gun cabinet they had a chart of "state residents that PA dealers can legally sell long guns to".

NJ was a "green" state while others like CA and IL were red, which I assume means that the PA Wal Mart will sell you a long gun. Haven't tried it myself though.

I was at the East Stroudsburg Wal Mart last weekend. Noticed that in the gun cabinet they had a chart of "state residents that PA dealers can legally sell long guns to".

NJ was a "green" state while others like CA and IL were red, which I assume means that the PA Wal Mart will sell you a long gun. Haven't tried it myself though.

Yes. NJ residents can buy NJ legal Long guns out of state... you still need COE.