bbk

Central COD: Black Ops thread

Once the kinks are ironed out, this will be an excellent game. The updates

to mechanics and the balancing act with perks and letting users choose what they want to upgrade is flipping awesome. And while it's overshadowed right now, dedicated servers is really pretty awesome.

Just give it a couple days and this will be well worth the money.

I agree, I cant remember a single game release that didn't have issues. I wish the graphics were a little better, but I cant run maxed out settings on my PC anyway. I have only played it for a couple of hours so far, but my only real gripe is it seems very run and gun to me. It lacks a lot of tactical play imo. I will have to try a hardcore server and some other game types, but that's my first impression anyway.

P.S. Since MW2 didn't have dedicated servers, my friends and I who like to play against each other didn't even bother buying it.

It's not so much the kinks as the crappy game engine.

why does everyone keep saying this???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IW_engine

Games

Call of Duty 2 (2005)

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (2007)

Call of Duty: World at War (2008)

Quantum of Solace (2008)

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2009, IW 4.0)

Call of Duty: Black Ops (2010)

Games

Call of Duty 2 (2005)

Quantum of Solace (2008)

Ok. Same engine but then why does everything feel so different. Movement especially.

Game engines are templates, not necessarily the same across the board. A number of games use the Unreal, Havok, and Source engines for example-- but all have their own tweaks. I do agree that BO's graphics aren't amazing at all, but if it's a huge issue a person can reskin and upgrade the sprites and textures (mods in other words). Of course this can only be done for PC players...

As I've said, there is no doubt that something is wrong with the game currently and will need to be patched by Treyarch. Once it does, I imagine the game will be as smooth as MW2

I think the engines are technically different. MW2 engine is IW4.0 while Black Ops is just an upgraded engine from World at War.

Black Ops Engine:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_of_Duty:_Black_Ops#Game_engine

The game runs on an enhanced World at War engine (which itself was improved from Call of Duty 4's) at 60 frames per second on consoles. It features a streaming texture technology (also seen in Modern Warfare 2), making bigger levels possible such as "Payback" where the player controls a helicopter. Lighting effects have been improved as well. Call of Duty: Black Ops supports 3-D imaging rendered by the engine itself.[55] However, the required hardware for this feature depends on the platform (except the Wii which does not support it).

MW2 Engine:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_of_Duty:_Modern_Warfare_2#Game_engine

The game utilizes the in-house IW 4.0 game engine, which is claimed to be a generation beyond the capabilities of the engine used in Call of Duty 4. Although proprietary, it is based on an unspecified id Tech engine, and can accommodate larger worlds, enhanced graphic detail, and more efficient rendering.

Games

Call of Duty 2 (2005)

Quantum of Solace (2008)

Same template but Treyarch attempts to make it better. Treyarch has made the worst games of the COD franchise. They simply can never improve upon what Infinity Ward does. World at War and COD 3 where terrible games. This is their best one so far, but thats not saying much. Graphics aren't great, spawning system sucks and hit detection is also pretty bad. This game will hold me over til Gran Turismo 5 comes out. Then after that Gears of War 3 *dedicated servers FTW*

Word is that they sent out a fix to the servers, changing the sv_maxrate from 5000 to 25000. This was odd because user configs were defaulted at 25000, and yet ranked servers weren't? (Unranked servers could have their configs change to the liking of the admin regardless). This is *suppose* to fix some of the server lag-- and yet, I'm sure its not the last of the coming updates...

I love it. Great game. I'm on 360. Tag is dxSHOCKWAVExd... Maks I would go with the 360. The online is better IMO. Ill be on tomorrow night around 9 if anyone wants to play some Zombie mode with me.

Interesting article

http://www.gamersdailynews.com/story-20856-Call-of-Duty-Black-Ops-Massive-Multiplayer-Problems-on-PC-Still-Sells-Seven-Million-Maybe.html

In the Steam forums Activision has acknowledged a so-called ’memory leak’ (meaning they knew about it or they’re baffled by it) and has suggested that gamers roll back to DirectX 9. If that is an option you might try it (see instructions at the end of the article).

Que? They want people do go back 2 version of DirectX? :facepalm:

Yea, Obviously rolling back DirectX is not an option. For the most part the game is playable. I get between 30-60 fps which is not great, but workable. Now anyone who played BFBC2 or Crysis when they first came out on an older PC, know that they where 10x worse and not playable.

Someone I work with just mentioned that they may have released a patch for the PC version this morning.. haven't had time to google it yet

Your right, I'm seeing articles stating a PC Patch was released either yesterday or today. Hopefully it will improve my FPS some, because I don't have the cash to overhaul my PC yet.

The patch was released yesterday, but I didn't want to comment on it until I had played on a couple different servers on a couple different maps. The verdict? Its worked, somewhat. For the most part, I'm getting 60-80fps, and the stuttering and graphic jitters are pretty much gun. There are some choppy moments, but nothing like how it has been. With that said, I'm still reading that some are still experiencing lag. I don't doubt that there will be even more patches in the near future to iron it out some more (hopefully, right?)

Fallout New Vegas is awesome. I made a sniper build. My guns is 100, sneak is 100, luck is 9 Agility is 9. I got the anti Material Rifle. I can pretty much take anything with 1 shot. Not including Death Claws. lol

Well.. I finally caved in installed Black Ops.. I only did multiplayer for about 20 minutes, but was getting about 40 FPS on a Intel Quad Core machine with an older Nvidia 9600GT card running 1600x1050... Didn't really experience any significant lag. So, overall, wasn't too bad.

Definitely has a World at War feel to it and seems a bit more "hectic" than MW2. Biggest gripe so far is the server browser.. Keeps trying to load all 10000+ servers into the list before I can pick a server to join.

So after alt-tab durning game and remove steam from task manager single player is solid no problems at all. Has anyone reached the arctic map and use the mosin nagant with or with out scope. Its pretty good I like it. Camo is hot.... Def no sticky bolt :icon_e_biggrin: Its a beast !!!!

I have yet to play online so i cant comment. I guess im milking sp in hopes for a patch to come out very soon.