bbk

Central COD: Black Ops thread

Ok I went to the midnight launching and picked up my copy. I am about 1 hour into the campaign and this game rocks. The guns are simply awesome. I new I liked it, but had the awesomeness confirmed during a mission where I got to duel wield two CZ75s, Then throw those down to pick up a full auto CZ75.......I haven't even tried the zombie mode yet. If anyone gets it for 360 PM me with your gamer tag, We will kill some zombies!!!!! lol

The awesomeness continues! Just started a Russian mission, My weapon is a Mosin Negant. LOL

Merged. I'll rename the thread so its a general COD: Black Ops discussion thread... so we don't flood the forums with the same thing.

I've been playing the single player campaign... not bad. Hopped on multiplayer, and pretty good crowd considering its 3:41AM (this is on PC btw).

Common problem is that the graphics are kind of choppy. Just upgraded my card, and the rest of my specs pass the test (check on: http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/)

Still, choppy, and had to update my drivers or the shadowing and textures were terrible... same applied in both single player and multiplayer... doesn't feel as fluid as MW2 for some reason. Also, maybe its because I'm pretty worn out, but the single player story telling mechanic is... well, confusing... and this is coming from the guy who thought Inception was kind of simple. About to start the Ural Mountains mission (which apparently is in the beginning/middle)... which, if it is in the beginning/middle, thats pretty awesome considering it took me this long to beat the latest Medal of Honor :rolleyes:

I'll have more coherent thoughts after I get some shut eye.

Just upgraded my card, and the rest of my specs pass the test (check on: http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/)

Son of a B*! Wish I had seen that before I caved and ordered a copy yesterday hahah My CPU doesn't pass the test but everything else does. Now I need to go scavenge together a PC in the office :ph34r:

Got it on 360. Terribly disappointed, especially related to MW2. My view is mainly based on the campaign. I have only gotten one match in on multiplayer, and it seems like it could be good. For the lack of time I spend on video games, I am pretty sure I could have put this money towards something more useful...

Once you beat the campaign/single player, the story and the way they tell it makes a lot more sense. With that said, having beat it-- I do see how they implemented the whole Cold War era thing in there... definitely a tinfoil-hardhat area :icon_e_wink:. Campaign was kind of short which was a bit disappointing.

Zombie mode is fun, though I haven't really touched it yet. Played one round, and figured I'd go jump on multiplayer.

Now multiplayer for PC right now is a hot mess. This is the aspect that disappoints me the most considering its like the whole reason why most people spent the $60 for it. The maps are pretty solid, though, still suffer from the "circle-syndrome" from MW2. The guns are pretty nice, and I like how they worked in the system where you can buy what guns/attachments/perks/etc you want. Definitely makes it more enjoyable then just trying to level to prestige, etc. What makes MP totally suck right now is while servers are plentiful, they F'ed up the netcode really bad. PC guys know what I'm talking about with it being pretty laggy. Some of it might be user-issues, but it seems like Treyarch will have to patch/update this, or at least give suggestions to the community with how to tweak their machines via console commands. Once that's cleared up though, solid, solid game.

ETA: The game has only been out for a day, and this sort of stuff is expected-- reason why I'm not nerd raging, haha. Though, I will be looking forward to the fixes.

I'm considering getting back into the gaming thing as I've always loved the COD series. I've played MW2 on Xbox, but have always been a PS guy. Which should I get PS3 or Xbox360 if I decide to do it? My brother and a lot of my friends, and it seems like you guys have Xbox.

I like the fact that you can buy the guns and attachments you want in Black Ops.

I've been playing it for a few hours on 360. I like it better when they go back to the old days. Part 5: World at War is still my favorite of the 4 I own. This new still seems better then MW2 to me anyway. Don't like that you have to buy everything in the game though.. :icon_e_confused:

you get money with exp and when you unlock a gun you have the money for it. no big deal imo. where it really makes a difference is attachments which is a really good thing to let you say "hey i hate this attachment i dont want to have to use it to unlock something else that i DO like" and you can just grab what you want and not have to deal with what you dont want.

my biggest problem with black ops right now is the matchmaking system. i try to join a server and it tells me they found over 50 servers so youd think thats great but for some reason it cant connect you to a single one of them and ends up making you create your own server and you have to sit there and wait for 8 people to join. and 90% of the time when trying to play with friends the system decides to forget we're in a game party and just lets the party leader join by himself and kicks the other 3 of us out of the party. frustrating but hopefully something they will fix soon. one thing that is epicly awesome is the dead ops arcade mode. a LOT of fun especially with 4 person co-op.

and it depends how you look at it to see whats better. multiplayer speaking it got rid of a lot of frustrating things from mw2 but not all and it added some of its own. still gets me angry. CoD2 is still the best CoD ever imo. from a singleplayer point of view.. well idk i didnt beat black ops yet but all CoDs have been the same thing basically, same gameplay just a different story different people and different guns. again though I would call CoD2 my favorite CoD singleplayer story also. the enemy at the gates scene in world at war is epic and having jack bauers voice in the game is another +100 to epicness, but i still say CoD2 takes the cake. probably partially because of the scenery, the pretty snow of the russian maps and greenery of the france ones are much better to look at than the jungles of the pacific lol. still mad that MW2 took a beautiful CoD2 map and turned it into a "wasteland".

will pick this up for PS3 along with a ps3 tomorrow.

If you have a blue ray player already I suggest the Xbox360 over the ps3. If you want to play online which I think is the bread and butter of the games today the xbox live service is superior to the ps3.

If you have a blue ray player already I suggest the Xbox360 over the ps3. If you want to play online which I think is the bread and butter of the games today the xbox live service is superior to the ps3.

I agree here. I have both systems, the PS3 mainly for a bluray and "exclusive" games that are not available on the XBOX. The online servive is free on the PS3, but it is no where near as good as the service you pay for on the XBOX. You can always find XBOX live service cards on sale at Amazon and other places. I purchased a few cards several months ago for $30 each(1 year card) lso points are basically the same. (need points to purchase add-ons and whatever else). That being said I'll probably will buy this for the PS3 when it goes on sale. One more thing, regardless of what system you have, you will encounter "internet racist tough guys" on both platforms.

I picked it up yesterday and it is still on the kitchen table un-opened. Pissed off I couldn't play yesterday.

OK Im dissappointed. It plays like World at War and just seems like that engine wamed over. It lacks the smoothness and crispness of MW2/COD4. I will still be playing MW2. BO aint cutting it. IW where are you?!?!?!?!?!

Working on the next game. They are on a every other year cycle. However who knows what the final product will be due to the mass exodus of IW employees this year.

OK Im dissappointed. It plays like World at War and just seems like that engine wamed over. It lacks the smoothness and crispness of MW2/COD4. I will still be playing MW2. BO aint cutting it. IW where are you?!?!?!?!?!

Yeah. its the World at War engine. You described it perfectly in my opinion. The movement is not as smooth, it feels just a little bit off. Almost like it stutters a bit. The graphics, while good, lack crispness. Especially at distance. Makes me want to buy a bigger tv in order to see enemy.

I also feel like I am dying easier then normal. I encounter multiple targets and have a problem taking them both or all out where in MW2 I would get them all. Especially when I have the jump on them. I get a lot of hit markers but not as many kills as I think I should have. Yet I die easily.

I would have rather just had IW release a large map pack. IW is having thier own problems though. I don't think we will see a game next year.

For the PC version, as I've been browsing the official Treyarch forums, it seems like there are issues with both the user and servers. BO for some reason is a huge CPU hog and that might be the problem regarding the user (which would affect any game mode). Server-side issues might have to do with the general config, with max rates, etc. Fortunately the guys running the MP-side of the community have acknowledged that something is not right, though no ETA on fixes.

Again, I'm not overly concerned since the game has only been out for 40 hours or so? I remember the horror stories a good friend of mine would tell me when he worked for Blizzard during "patch days" for WOW (and the release day of Burning Crusade being infinitely worse)... pretty much staying in the office for three of four straight days while taking naps in the breakroom until things were mostly smoothed out. I could imagine Treyarch is going through a similar process now (considering they have the juggernaut weight of the "COD" name looming over their heads). Infinity Ward is great, but I've always preferred Treyarch studios as they were always more community-friendly... hopefully they won't let us down.

As for IW, I honestly hope they just scrap that studio. Considering in that mass exodus, the majority of the leads left, that studio is in no shape to release a product simply for banking on their name and the COD brand... then of course we're talking about Activision here who I'm pretty sure would sell their own kids for a profit :facepalm:

Once you beat the campaign/single player, the story and the way they tell it makes a lot more sense. With that said, having beat it-- I do see how they implemented the whole Cold War era thing in there... definitely a tinfoil-hardhat area :icon_e_wink:. Campaign was kind of short which was a bit disappointing.

Zombie mode is fun, though I haven't really touched it yet. Played one round, and figured I'd go jump on multiplayer.

Now multiplayer for PC right now is a hot mess. This is the aspect that disappoints me the most considering its like the whole reason why most people spent the $60 for it. The maps are pretty solid, though, still suffer from the "circle-syndrome" from MW2. The guns are pretty nice, and I like how they worked in the system where you can buy what guns/attachments/perks/etc you want. Definitely makes it more enjoyable then just trying to level to prestige, etc. What makes MP totally suck right now is while servers are plentiful, they F'ed up the netcode really bad. PC guys know what I'm talking about with it being pretty laggy. Some of it might be user-issues, but it seems like Treyarch will have to patch/update this, or at least give suggestions to the community with how to tweak their machines via console commands. Once that's cleared up though, solid, solid game.

ETA: The game has only been out for a day, and this sort of stuff is expected-- reason why I'm not nerd raging, haha. Though, I will be looking forward to the fixes.

bbk how would you compare the campaign length to that of Modern Warfare 2 and Medal of Fail (2010)?

bbk did you experience any lag/chop issues during single player. I picked game up last night and i noticed choppiness, im going to download no cd patch see if this fixes the issue. It might just be my dvd rom not keeping up. I have a 3.0mhz with 4g ram and 8800 gtx video card with plenty of hd space. I have yet to try online waiting to beat game first. I have set video to low and still seems to happen every so often. I use a razor mumba mouse

I did notice heavy choppiness and stuttering throughout the single-player campaign. The word around the community is that the minimum settings must be met or a person will suffer through said choppiness and stuttering... instead of telling me your specs, best to check a site like: http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/

With that said though, there is an issue with the game itself that needs to be addressed, and should be addressed relatively soon (is my guess).

As for the length... it strikes a good balance between MW2 and MOH in terms of action and cut-scenes. Developers talk about fluid cut-scenes being all the rage right now (like HL2), but I think the game is paced better when a player can sit through a cut scene (while still looking around, but not necessarily interacting). MOH really suffered, IMO, with its pacing... it was like four short hours of only-action with like two minutes of cut scenes total (that is a bit of an exaggeration, but still). BO's campaign is maybe around... six hours or so? I want to say MW2 was around that same length. To me, what makes BO more interesting then MW2 is the variety of environments a player gets to see. Even if levels take place in technically the same region, it will still highlight a different location from within (not to give spoilers as these were in the trailers, but, for example, in BO the player will see the jungles of Vietnam as well as the developed urban dwellings). With that said, nothing to date beats the "Wolverines!" level from MW2 when you fight through the US suburb as a Ranger...

Hmm - after hearing all this, I may just skip out on this game for now.... blah!

I wish I had read all of this before I bought the damned thing. It's sitting here on my desk at work still wrapped in plastic and I'm trying to decide if I should return it and just wait for the kinks to get ironed out...

Once the kinks are ironed out, this will be an excellent game. The updates

to mechanics and the balancing act with perks and letting users choose what they want to upgrade is flipping awesome. And while it's overshadowed right now, dedicated servers is really pretty awesome.

Just give it a couple days and this will be well worth the money.