Col. Mortimer

Brian Aitken, in jail in NJ for 7 years for owning legal guns

What surprises me is that so many people think HP bullets are illegal... I mean there all over that comment board calling the guy stupid and what not...when the reality is there legal. Even some of the pro-gun guys don't even know the law.

What scares me is that this could happen to anyone... As far as i can tell no law was actually broken... What's even more scary is that a Judge has enough power to sway the jury... i thought people went to jail for **** like that.

Illegal search and seizure? On what grounds did they search his vehicle? and how did they make it to the trunk... I was under the impression that probable cause only granted access to passenger compartments, excluding the trunk and glove box, unless of course something was found in the passenger compartment.

This is some serious horseshit. His case was featured in an online magazine I subscribe to.

I think Plaxico Burress got 18 months for carrying a loaded Glock in Manhattan...

And this guy gets 7 years for locked and unloaded firearms in his trunk????

http://reason.com/archives/2010/11/15/brian-aitkens-mistake

Different state. Different jury. One was a star the other wasn't. When will you people realize that in this country there are 2 sets of laws. One for the haves and ones for the have nots!

At some level I blame Brian for not knowing he was under no requirement to return to his parent's home at the request of law enforcement. Had I been in that situation I would have yes’d them and continued on my way. Once at my destination I would have called back and said I decided not to return. At that point he had not actually broken a law and he would have had the high ground. Never trust or talk to police, they are not your friend and they are not there to protect you. This may have been the case 30 or 40 years ago but since the 80s "community policing" has turned into "law enforcement". It is no longer the good guys vs. the bad guys, those days are gone. The guys that came on the job in the '80s and latter have been indoctrinated into being superior to everyone else. Today it is law enforcement vs. non law enforcement; all citizens in their eyes are suspect, they are guilty of something until they can prove they are not. It is unfortunate and they may not admit it but it is true.

• Like 2

At some level I blame Brian for not knowing he was under no requirement to return to his parent's home at the request of law enforcement. Had I been in that situation I would have yes’d them and continued on my way. Once at my destination I would have called back and said I decided not to return. At that point he had not actually broken a law and he would have had the high ground. Never trust or talk to police, they are not your friend and they are not there to protect you. This may have been the case 30 or 40 years ago but since the 80s "community policing" has turned into "law enforcement". It is no longer the good guys vs. the bad guys, those days are gone. The guys that came on the job in the '80s and latter have been indoctrinated into being superior to everyone else. Today it is law enforcement vs. non law enforcement; all citizens in their eyes are suspect, they are guilty of something until they can prove they are not. It is unfortunate and they may not admit it but it is true.

yeah "Us vs Them" is all on the part of LE :icon_rolleyes:

• Like 1

yeah "Us vs Them" is all on the part of LE :icon_rolleyes:

If Brian Aitken is any indication I'd say that is fairly accurate assessment...

I grew up in a family of cops; my step-father, multiple uncles, my god father, cousins and numerous relative-like friends of the family that I grew up calling uncle. I have had this conversation with many of them. The superiority complex thing going on in law enforcement today is pathetic and disgraceful. If you feel the public no longer respects you, roll your little eyes around take a look at the crowd you are associated with. No-one is a bigger supporter of the officer friendly types than I but sadly they have almost all but retired. There is no level of thought going on in terms of whether something is right or if the law to be enforced conflicts with the oath to protect the supreme law of the land. The only driving force seems to be the all mighty pension. Liberty be damned ain't nothing going to get in the way of that! All I am saying is at one time I bet the red coats were well respected until they used the line that they were "just doing their job..."

BTW the advice I shared above "Never trust or talk to police, they are not your friend and they are not there to protect you." was given to me by my step-father when I was 15 years old. To this day I have not found one instance where that advice has been shown to be flawed.

I would also like to share this with those that may have not seen it before as it is the best way I have found to share the advice my step-father gave to me so many years ago...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

The magazine issue is the only charge I think "might" be legitimate. Even so, according to an earlier post that comes with a 9 month maximum (per mag?)/ 0 minimum sentence, timed served imo. It scares me that some people think the one charge is reason to write him off as guilty on all charges.

To all those people on the fence about lending their support, the seven year conviction is for possesion of two handguns, the prosecution argued he was guilty not because of his lacking a fid card (though I'd guess thats why the cops arrested him) but because he did not have a carry permit. Unless you are one of the few with a NJ ccw if the law is applied as it was in this case YOU could be subject to the same hard time. The moving exemption is just like the exemption that allows you to transport to the range... maybe the judge will decide there's just not enough evidence that you were headed to the range that day.

The magazine issue is the only charge I think "might" be legitimate. Even so, according to an earlier post that comes with a 9 month maximum (per mag?)/ 0 minimum sentence, timed served imo. It scares me that some people think the one charge is reason to write him off as guilty on all charges.

To all those people on the fence about lending their support, the seven year conviction is for possesion of two handguns, the prosecution argued he was guilty not because of his lacking a fid card (though I'd guess thats why the cops arrested him) but because he did not have a carry permit. Unless you are one of the few with a NJ ccw if the law is applied as it was in this case YOU could be subject to the same hard time. The moving exemption is just like the exemption that allows you to transport to the range... maybe the judge will decide there's just not enough evidence that you were headed to the range that day.

Could you imagine...

This is just insane, I think I have died and gone to hell; only my personal hell is a land where I am under constant persecution from complete and total morons that live in a world of carbon credits, plug-in hybrid micro compacts, powered by windmills and solar arrays on their houses. They eat nothing but tofu or granola as they sip their lattés and sit around all day thinking up asinine ways to make my life even more miserable the next day. Meanwhile I toil through their mindless rules and regulations day in and day out simply to earn enough money for them to take from me for the privilege to continue to torturer me some more... Seriously George Orwell would be proud of these nimrods...

Exactly. This is affects all of us, even the people who don't want to support this cause.

Could you imagine...

This is just insane, I think I have died and gone to hell; only my personal hell is a land where I am under constant persecution from complete and total morons that live in a world of carbon credits, plug-in hybrid micro compacts, powered by windmills and solar arrays on their houses. They eat nothing but tofu or granola as they sip their lattés and sit around all day thinking up asinine ways to make my life even more miserable the next day. Meanwhile I toil through their mindless rules and regulations day in and day out simply to earn enough money for them to take from me for the privilege to continue to torturer me some more... Seriously George Orwell would be proud of these nimrods...

Well I'm actually all for alternative fuels/energy, not into soy based man-boobs though :icon_e_biggrin: The big brother element is scary, if someone had proposed this case to me as a hypothetical I would have said it was impossible it would get this far, even in NJ. Lesson learned.

Exactly. This is affects all of us, even the people who don't want to support this cause.

Taking it even further, even people who hate guns should have a problem with the way this trial was conducted. It reminds me of a 1960's southern civil rights trial with a good ol' boy on the bench.

Frankly this is what initially struck me as disingenuous about the "Free Brian" campaign. The claims that "He broke no laws" and "had researched NJ law" along with apparent silence from the campaign as to whether or not he had high capacity magazines when searched led me to suspect that they were hiding facts of the case. The illegality of magazines holding more than 15 rounds is one aspect of NJ firearms law that is relatively clear and shouldn't require close study of the law.

However, now that turbofire pointed out the following (and I just read Nappen's summary of facts which I had not read before)...

...I'm no longer suspect about putting my support behind this. It is a miscarriage of justice in regards to the handgun possession. I will be at the rally on the 12th.

As this story gets more and more mainstream press, let's be on the look out for anti gunners saying stuff, like that douchebag Bryan Miller did, or any other kind of agitator. I'd expect the anti's to stir the pot very soon.......

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-seattle/new-jersey-case-sparks-national-outrage

Workman really lays into Miller in that article. Gave me the warm and fuzzies. :wub:

Lynn is home from work today, so she made a call to Christie's office to voice her opinion. The aide she spoke to said that they've been getting dozens of calls and emails a day, and that they've been overwhelmingly in favor of the Governor taking a close look at this with the goal of at least commuting the sentence. We'll see if it makes any difference.