vladtepes

Small light reliable inexpensive pistol chambered in 40

recommendations for an inexpensive small reliable handgun chambered in 40S&W.. I can carry my Glock 23.. but looking for another gun for when it absolutely must be concealed.. I can conceal carry the Glock but with it being larger sometimes I have concerns about people catching a glimpse of it.. I want something small enough to really disappear.. thinking something small like that 380 Ruger (I think that is what it is.. the one that fits right in the pocket)...

S&W chefs special..wolfy has one in 45 i do not see them on their site any more..

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=208916355

if you like plastic../ i see you have a glock..

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=207994920

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=208677970

If you gotta stay with .40S&W you have another choice in the glock family, the G27. It's smaller and lighter than the G23.

Another pistol I'd look at is the Kahr PM40. It would be a nice light gun to carry around, although it's a bit on the expensive side. I shot the PM9 (9mm version), it was reliable and pretty accurate for the size.

I'd stay away from even smaller guns than the two mentioned above, because they get can get unreliable. You constantly hear about bad experiences with the "pocket" guns.

Just my $0.02...I live in NJ so it's not like I even have had the dilemma of picking a pistol for my CCW :)

The smallest .40S&W that I know of is the Kahr Arms PM40. I carried it for years until the Ruger LCP came out. Then I went with the MK40 for the winter months. A little heavier, but beefier. Perhaps the next larger is the Taurus PT140Pro (double stack) or PT740 (single stack), then the Sig P250 subcompact.

If you come across a S&W CS40, take a look at it. My neighbor has one and it's pretty nice. Never shot it, but it's comfortable to handle and looks like it would be a good carry gun.

This is what i was looking for.. sweet.. This is one chef you do not want to f with..you could end up cooked..

pretty good find, 3 mags and an iwb holster.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=208684761

I shot wolfys cs45 for a big caliber in a small frame it was very accurate and suprisingly came back on target very well..

I've shot a couple compact Kahr's over the summer during a class and was quite impressed with them and the quality of the trigger. One was a 9mm and the other was a 40 that were the off duty guns of these LEO's. The company HQ is located in NYS right off 287 and they are made in Mass IIRC. The owner, Mr. Moon was very nice when I spoke to him regarding some outside business issues.

I own a LCP 380 and it is a surprising little package. I find that I carry that quite often when out of state. There are several little holsters that make it disappear in your pocket or IWB. A close friend in town works for a Bergen County PD and is their lead Tactical Officer and they recently chose the LCP as an approved off duty / back up weapon. They did a bunch of tests and the LCP performed well.

What surprised me about the 380 was the minimal deflection of POI going thru a windshield. Yes, a windshield. I had my doubts, but knowing my friend and his experience in the **** hole he works in and being a Marine with substantial combat time in Iraq, I'll trust the LCP if he is carrying it around...as is his chief and other members of the their department. FWIW, they kept the Sig 250 for waaaay longer then Sig wanted them to for their 'field trials'. In the end, they went with the LCP for a back up. The 250 is a great gun, but budgets are tight and they went with the Ruger. YMMV.

Check out the AMT Backup. The High Standard company that makes them is based in Texas.. The new ones get good reviews. The old ones, not as much.

http://www.highstandard.com/

Speaking of AMT, i was thumbing through a firearms guide someone gifted me this year and ran across this little gem: The AMT Javelina--10mm longslise 1911-esque gun. I think this needs to be added to your 10mm repertoire. :D

36422995-DSC00299.JPG

Speaking of AMT, i was thumbing through a firearms guide someone gifted me this year and ran across this little gem: The AMT Javelina--10mm longslise 1911-esque gun. I think this needs to be added to your 10mm repertoire. :D

36422995-DSC00299.JPG

Hell, that looks like it could be a 7" Longslide. Crazy!

local LEO friend just picked up a Ruger 380 and might want to dump his 27 for really cheap.. for really cheap I think I will bite on that as its pretty tiny.. and will work exactly like my 23.. Since I find the 23 concealable I am sure the 27 will be fine..

but thanks for all the input.. it is all really appreciated..

local LEO friend just picked up a Ruger 380 and might want to dump his 27 for really cheap.. for really cheap I think I will bite on that as its pretty tiny.. and will work exactly like my 23.. Since I find the 23 concealable I am sure the 27 will be fine..

but thanks for all the input.. it is all really appreciated..

I find the magazine interchangeability very convenient. I went to the range yesterday with a G19 and G26. Just grabbed all G19 mags(Korean in fact). It all woked fine.