Pizza Bob

Great Afternoon at the Range

Neither of my sons really showed any interest in guns or shooting. I didn't push the issue and pretty much let them decide on their own avocations. That's why it really surprised me when, at Christmas dinner, my younger son (32) and his girlfriend said they want me to take them shooting. We arranged it for this afternoon and they came to the house first (they both live in Philadelphia).

She had never shot before (and I think she was the instigator for this outing) and my son only sparingly, and if memory serves, only .22 rifle. I had printed out the safety rules and we reviewed them and on the reverse side I defined some terms, showed them proper sight picture and listed the guns we were going to shoot. Then I let them handle them and and showed them the operation of the different guns.

We went to Classic Pistol in Southampton, PA. I started them out with a S&W 422T and let Linda shoot 10 shots (checking the target after each 5) and then Drew. We did that twice while they decided what position was more comfortable for them (both chose Isocoles). They both shot very well (I confined all shooting to 7 yards - helps build confidence). Then we stepped up to a .38 Special (S&W model 15), and again they both did very well. From there we moved on to the Sig P225. Linda did the best with this gun - even with the first D/A shot and Drew did outstanding. Next step was to a .40 S&W in my S&W 646. Linda began to anticipate recoil and pushed her shots low, while Drew turned in a "refrigerator worthy" target. Last we brought out the 1911. Linda shot the first 5 rounds and decided it was a bit much for her - not afraid of it, just had a hard time not anticipating. I think this was also Drew's undoing. I told them the .45 is an acquired taste.

They both said they had a lot of fun and thoroughly enjoyed not only the shooting, but trying different types and calibers of guns. They both showed quite a bit of natural talent and now know where their theshold is (9mm for Linda / .40 S&W for Drew).

Came a little late in life, but better late than never. I have a feeling that they'll be asking for a repeat performance.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 1

My family and I haven't gotten along for 10 years. As matter of fact we haven't talked in the 10 years either. I prob will never get along with my mother, however I grew up shooting and did a little hunting too. Thats all because of my dad. When I got my FID card and P2P I bought my Beretta and stopped at my dads house to show him. Also to shoot it since he has enough property and a backstop to shoot at. Since then we have hung out shooting a bit and went out to dinner one night. If I never got that gun we still would not be talking at all. See that.. Guns bringing families together!

• Like 2

Bob,

Great story! Now that they are initiated, post a range trip at PAFOA next time you head to Classic. A half dozen people will probably show up with some interesting stuff.

As people have said above, and to push it even further, I find 1911 easier and smoother to shoot than even 9mm. If I had to put 7 rounds exactly where I wanted them to go very quickly then 1911 or a .22 would be my choices.

My voice to the others. I'm delighted for you, truly. Both my sons shoot - one prefers his rifle and the other prefers my pistols and it warms me to know that this is an interest we'll share going forward. Congratulations on having your family round you, too.

Happy New Year

Grant

Thanks for all the positive comments. I really enjoyed myself and they did too.

As for the difference between the .40 & .45, KrdShrk hit it on the head. The .40 S&W round out of a revolver shoots a lot softer than out of a semi-auto with its added reciprocating mass of the slide. I could see that Linda didn't enjoy the .45 so asked if she wanted to take the second five shots - which, as I said, she declined. My son had no problem handling the recoil, but just had a hard time hitting the target with it.

I look forward to doing this again. Thanks again.

Adios,

Pizza Bob