Sign in to follow this  
treblah3

Howdy

New member to the forums, how's everybody doing?

I'm a relatively new gun owner, also. I have a .45 and a .22LR, living in Bergen County. Looking to gain access to general information about ranges and places to buy ammo in NJ, maybe ask a couple questions along the way.

See you folks around!

Welcome. If you're up in bergen county, go up to NY and hit up a walmart for ammo.

I actually work by a Walmart in Rockland County, NY, so I'll check that out, thanks! I guess a NJ Firearms ID Card is OK for NY then, huh.

welcome to the forum! ammo is better bought online in bulk - most local stuff I find to be overpriced.

I have my eye on a 500 round deal I saw on cheaperthandirt.com for less than $200 - does ammo have to be shipped to an FFL dealer or can it go straight to my home?

According to some info I found buying ammunition in NY State doesn't require any firearms ID or permits at all:

"As long as it is outside of NYC, no you do not.

If you purchase ammo at one of the supercenter type stores specifically Wal-mart or Dick’s etc, the cashier is automatically prompted to ask you whether your are purchasing the ammunition for a pistol or a long gun before they can complete the purchase. They do this since in certain areas areas around the country it is unlawful for anyone under 21 to purchase ammo that is intended for use in a pistol. The theory behind this is since in most states/ circumstances (not all thought) you must be 21 to buy a pistol/ obtain a CCW then you shouldd therefore not be allowed to purchase ammo for it…

However since pistol caliber carbines are both popular and very common the ‘rule’ is ridiculous anyway, not to mention that this is nothing more than a simple store policy that Wal-Mart chooses to keep in place everywhere for continuity i guess."

Source*

According to some info I found buying ammunition in NY State doesn't require any firearms ID or permits at all:

"As long as it is outside of NYC, no you do not.

If you purchase ammo at one of the supercenter type stores specifically Wal-mart or Dick’s etc, the cashier is automatically prompted to ask you whether your are purchasing the ammunition for a pistol or a long gun before they can complete the purchase. They do this since in certain areas areas around the country it is unlawful for anyone under 21 to purchase ammo that is intended for use in a pistol. The theory behind this is since in most states/ circumstances (not all thought) you must be 21 to buy a pistol/ obtain a CCW then you shouldd therefore not be allowed to purchase ammo for it…

However since pistol caliber carbines are both popular and very common the ‘rule’ is ridiculous anyway, not to mention that this is nothing more than a simple store policy that Wal-Mart chooses to keep in place everywhere for continuity i guess."

Source*

I went to the Walmart in NY State and had no trouble, partially because the guy working in the sporting area recognized me from my job, and I've always been helpful to him. I straight up asked him if I needed my NJ FID and he just said driver's license is required, which he ended up not even looking at - and even if he did, the under 21 rule doesn't apply to me, being 29.

It was $10 for a box of 50 Federal 9mm, not bad.