fliks

Thinking of a small .22lr pistol

SO I'm considering a small .22lr pistol. I decided that I don't really want one of the target kinds, like the Ruger MK or the Buckmark or that fugly Neos. I've been curious about the Taurus PT-22 or the Beretta Bobcat

any advice/suggestions?

I sent you an email. But long story short, the Taurus sucks. Plus, the fun thing about a .22 is very accurate target practise. You dont get the very accurate part with either of these. The other advantage of these is deep concealment for defense. Again, these suck because I wouldnt rely on a 22 if I had to. You can get a 380 pocket pistol which is barely any bigger. I know, I know, 22 will get the job done. I just wouldnt rely on it if I had the choice, thats all.

one in this model..

I have one of these, accurate little pistol and fun to shoot..

now that i look at this one on gunbroker it looks to be in very good shape not much use..except for two dings..

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=210120088

It depends on what your gonna use these for. Deep concealment? Plinking? Ghetto Blaster? Either will do the job, just depends on what you want to spend. I'm a fan of Taurus stuff, but I'm also a fan of Beretta so I'll say both!

Thanks Tony! that's a nice one, I'll look into it - I just don't like shiny guns, so I'd have to find a black one :icon_twisted:

They did make a blued version, if you look at the model #s on the owners manual to the one on gunbroker you can search them..

If you're ok with something larger, for example service pistol sized, the CZ 75B Kadet is a fantastic .22LR plinker that doesn't look odd.

http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-75-kadet/

Or you can just purchase a CZ 75B in 9mm and then purchase the Kadet kit (no permit necessary), which includes barrel/slide/mag, for about $350. That way you have a dual purpose pistol.

Just wondering...I have seen a couple of these .22 small pistol threads and yes I agree with the info given out as the reighning 3 seem to be the Buckmark, MarkIII, and the Neos . In none of them has anyone mentioned the Walther P22....Always thought it was a nice looking gun...jam-o-matic some I have heard but some say they eat anything....just looking for your guys opinion...Thanks.

I love my P22, and in my opinion, it would be a great choice for a reliable .22 pistol that could be easily concealable. Now I know most people find it difficult to put "reliable" and ".22" in the same sentence, but with my experience with my P22, I would.

When I was in the market for a .22 pistol, I looked at all of them (Mosquito, Mk2/3, Neos, Buckmark etc) but most of them were ugly as hell. I couldn't even stand to look at the Neos and Ruger's, blahhh. Sure they are great shooting guns from what I hear, but appearance-wise, just not for me. I wanted a nice looking .22 that was shaped well for my quick jump into bigger calibered pistols, and even a couple weeks into owning my P22, I knew I made a good choice with it.

I've had it for almost a year and have put a lot of rounds through it, like most of my guns. Federal bulk packs and Mini-mags is all I have shot through it, and I can say that although I do not use it for SD, I would trust it. I prefer a bigger caliber for SD, but I would definitely carry it as a backup on an ankle holster. It has never given me any issues and the only time it jams is if I put more than about 800+rds through it at one time, which is rare but I have shot about 1k rounds through it about 4 or 5 times in the time I have had it. Other than that, I keep it clean and it shoots very well. At 7 yds I can keep a nice tight grouping under rapid fire, and even 10-15yds as well. Yet 20-25+yds is a joke, it takes a steady hand to keep it on target. Yes it's small, but with practice and patience, the P22 can be accurate amongst many that argue. I think it's good to practice every now and then at up to that distance, but for the most part, I mostly shoot at 7-15yds and I love my P22 at those distances.

Overall, I am glad I bought it and I am very happy with it. People are quick to talk bad about a lot of guns, but at the same time, 99% of those people either don't own the guns they are badmouthing or don't take care of the guns they badmouth...so it's not a surprise they don't function well. I keep all of my guns in good order, especially my .22's as they get dirty fairly quickly, and I've never had any problems with it. I would highly suggest it if you want a good functioning, comfortable, all around great .22 pistol.

Edit: If you'd ever like to shoot it, I'm sure we could work something out sometime.

Edited by RecessedFilter

Also, DO NOT get the Bobcat. That thing sucks...my friends dad is a retired LEO and he passed his Bobcat down to his son/my friend. All I have to say is I can't believe he carried that thing as a backup pistol on-duty.

I got off on a carrying tangent on my previous post, I don't have a clue how that accumulated but I use my P22 for plinking and stuff and it does a great job. It's a really fun pistol that I fully enjoy shooting and owning. Plus my girlfriend has a good time shooting it as well so that's a plus.

@Recessed- What model the standard 4" or with the added 5" barrel?

Now my 14 yr old daughter has shot the MKIII, Neos 4" and the Buckmark. Her favorite is the Neos. Yet ugly as some say she was very comfprtable with it as far as learing the safety, not being afraid of the action if it jams as the slide is bulky (protected) and easy for her, and ejecting/loading the mag herself.She took to it like a duck to water What I did was rent them all and I made her shoot 100+ rounds or each and the Neos won. Personal prefrence. I agree go rent,shoot other peoples before you buy. Good Luck in your quest!

I have the standard 3.4" in the military green. Although the 5'' extended barrel "target" model has a little more added weight to the front and a longer sight radius by about an inch or so, the price wasn't right. I got a nice deal on the standard version and they wanted an extra like $120 or something ridiculous for the target model.

I saw the videos of your daughter SJ, very cool you're starting her off at a young age. The Neos has a unique look to it, I might think it is ugly but I will say it is a cool-looking pistol in terms of a "futuristic" pistol design. I hear it is a great .22 pistol, I wouldn't doubt it. Beretta makes very high quality firearms.

Renting as many as you can is, as always, good advice. Even just handling a couple in the gun store is good as well. It comes down to what YOU like and what YOU are comfortable with, of course.

Im not a huge fan of the P22s None have come close to the accuracy of the neos/buckmark/mkIII. Again, if its not accurate I dont see the point in a 22 pistol.

I have to agree with you on that, a 22 is for plinking and such. If it can't hit what your aiming at, what good is it?

alright guys, thanks for all the suggestions, but I went off on a tangent and got on a good deal on a .32ACP Beretta from a neighbor. I will post more as soon as I take possession of it. I told Glenn about it, he hates me already :icon_lol: