92 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about marriage?

• I'm happily married, and loving it
    • Looking forward to it
    • I wish I hadn't
    • Divorced that *****
    • I will never get married

You forgot a selection - Happily Living in Sin

I belong in this category. It will be 24 years month after next. We had both been married previously. Neither of us were interested in having kids (I have two - now adults - from my first marriage). Neither of us are particularly religious. Why get married? I'm a firm believer in, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" It has worked well for nearly a quarter of a century (longer than a lot of my friends have been married), I'm not about to change now. Not something I'd recommend for everybody, but it works for me.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

PS: Oh yeah, what he said - just cause there's no piece of paper doesn't mean that it's easy or doesn't require work. If this weren't NJ, we'd be married via common law.

Yeah, I'm a member of that club. 11 happy years living in sin, with no plans to marry. She likes bikes, owns guns, is planning to get her first tattoo soon. We make a very nice couple if I may say so myself.

Been married for 5 years we lived together for 2 before that. I helped put her through school and we bought a house and settled down after that. We had my daughter three years ago and the feelings started to change. She up and walked out not to long ago.

Not really sure what happened. If I ever wish to do it again my friends have instructions to hit me in the head with a hammer !!

From now on I live as my grandfather told me. "Stay single and raise your kids the same way !!"

Do I still love her? yes !! She's a great girl. But when the going got tough she got going is the way I look at it. Me I was raised to work harder at things when they dont go so well and I'm still working at it!!!

Hmmm... I didn't have a selection there that fits us, but I guess we are close to #1.......

Good post Tim, lots of truth there.

Some other funny posts above too!

Going-on 23 years here, we have a lot of similar interests and do alot together, but she also knows I like my "me time" and will leave me alone when I don't want to be bothered. Sometimes I don't even want my dog around me, just gotta have some down time. Those that have been married long enough, and have kids, know what I'm talkin' 'bout!

My oldest is leaving for college next week, the other one will still be here to cause trouble, teenagers...... :icon_mrgreen:

Plenty of ups and downs... but going through them together is quite an adventure.

As far as kids go, I can remember the very first time I held all of my three kids. It's a very humbling and eye-opening experience. Priceless!!!

Took 30 years to find someone who could put up with me. 16 years later and she still does.

I found a saint :)

Took 26 for me, we get married in 5 weeks.

A lot of people rush into marriage these days, especially in their late 20's / early 30's. I met my fiancee when I was 26, asked her to marry me when I was 30, and we'll be married at 31. Anybody can give advice on these things, but what's worked for us is taking everything slow... even when we were head-over-heels in love enough to elope 6 months after meeting one another.

Another thing... I firmly believe that there are absolute deal breakers that you can learn after living with your partner that you would have never known about had you not before marriage. If you don't live with her before you get hitched, you are walking into the lion's den, unarmed, blindfolded, with your pants around your ankles. Fortunately for me, we got along just fine.

Cheers,

mack

• Like 1

A man can build a house, but a woman makes a home. With that being said I would not trade a minute of the past 8 years that I have shared with my wife. Yes there are times where we don't see eye to eye on things, but that is part of sharing your life with someone. The way I have always thought of it is that if you don't have arguments or disagreements than one of you is not giving 100% to the relationship and you are doomed to fail. Give and take Is the biggest part of marriage, but with a open line of communication you will always succeed together. Without either of those don't even bother, but man the trip is worth it.