Sign in to follow this  
usnmars

An idea about mag caps and bans

I was thinking about the mag cap ban, and possibly the one coming nationally. Why don't they ban aftermarket hi cap mags, and allow normal OEM mags. As an example Ak mags are 30rd, why not allow 30 rd mags for an AK type rifle. AR mags are 30 rd, allow 30 rd AR mags. I wouldn't be upset if they decided to ban the 50rd 10/22 mags or the 30rd Glock mags, or even the Beta mags for an AR. Why not just change the law that allows mags that originally came with the gun to be legal? This would make a lot of people happy in this state allowing mags that the rest of the country enjoys, but still put restriction on other mags. This would reduce the cost of mags by not having to have them pinned but yet get the ridiculous hi-cap mags off the market. Come on, who really needs a 50rd drum for a 1911 anyways? What are your thoughts on this?

• Like 1

The problem is the slippery slope of compromise with the anti's. Their concept is like a Anaconda around you. It just keeps squeasing and squeasing over time until your dead. There is also the issue of what doeasnt matter to you matters to someone else. Just because I dont care about shotguns for example doesnt mean I can let my guard down about legislation targeted at shotguns because frankly I need the shotgunners to do the same and care about my black rifles. Also and for me the biggest reason is that as a sane person I cant condone the act of banning an object with the belief that the objects new found status is going to magically have this ability to cause a deranged person to stop and think, hey Im not going to break the law with a banned mag when I go on an illegal killing spree...

• Like 1

I was thinking about the mag cap ban, and possibly the one coming nationally. Why don't they ban aftermarket hi cap mags, and allow normal OEM mags. As an example Ak mags are 30rd, why not allow 30 rd mags for an AK type rifle. AR mags are 30 rd, allow 30 rd AR mags. I wouldn't be upset if they decided to ban the 50rd 10/22 mags or the 30rd Glock mags, or even the Beta mags for an AR. Why not just change the law that allows mags that originally came with the gun to be legal? This would make a lot of people happy in this state allowing mags that the rest of the country enjoys, but still put restriction on other mags. This would reduce the cost of mags by not having to have them pinned but yet get the ridiculous hi-cap mags off the market. Come on, who really needs a 50rd drum for a 1911 anyways? What are your thoughts on this?

the answer is simple.... reducing magazine capacity has nothing to do with reducing crime.. allow a ban like that further promotes the myth that it does..

give them an inch and they will take a mile.

I wholeheartedly agree. If we give into compromise on silly laws that do nothing to stop crime , and only serve to restrict the freedoms we have today (well most of the country), they will use this as a springboard for what they call more "common sense" restrictions. In the end we'll be left with spitball guns.

This is what the antis want, they want to introduce ankle-biter legislation in hope the gun community will just say "OK, fine, you can do that but that's it! OK promise?". The antis will shovel promises over to us all day long, until they again have another tragedy to exploit and introduce yet another round of ankle biter legislation. The cycle will continue.

Freedoms are usually lost over time, little by little until someone wakes up one day and notices they only live with an illusion of freedom. Its like boiling the frog in water by slowly raising the heat over time, it slowly becomes desensitized to the temperature right up until death.

The only laws I do agree with are those that truly work to reduce violence especially when a gun is involved, and basic stuff like background checks,illegal for a convicted felon to own a gun, stiff penalties for using guns in commission of a violent crime,etc.

give them an inch and they will take a mile.

Exactly!!

Come on, who really needs a 50rd drum for a 1911 anyways?

And with gun owners like this, who needs enemies......

I was thinking about the mag cap ban, and possibly the one coming nationally. Why don't they ban aftermarket hi cap mags, and allow normal OEM mags. As an example Ak mags are 30rd, why not allow 30 rd mags for an AK type rifle. AR mags are 30 rd, allow 30 rd AR mags. I wouldn't be upset if they decided to ban the 50rd 10/22 mags or the 30rd Glock mags, or even the Beta mags for an AR. Why not just change the law that allows mags that originally came with the gun to be legal? This would make a lot of people happy in this state allowing mags that the rest of the country enjoys, but still put restriction on other mags. This would reduce the cost of mags by not having to have them pinned but yet get the ridiculous hi-cap mags off the market.

NJ already has a hi-cap ban with a 15round limit. If your compromise was to actually pass at a Federal level, it wouldn't affect NJ.

• Like 1

I wholeheartedly agree. If we give into compromise on silly laws that do nothing to stop crime , and only serve to restrict the freedoms we have today (well most of the country), they will use this as a springboard for what they call more "common sense" restrictions. In the end we'll be left with spitball guns.

This is what the antis want, they want to introduce ankle-biter legislation in hope the gun community will just say "OK, fine, you can do that but that's it! OK promise?". The antis will shovel promises over to us all day long, until they again have another tragedy to exploit and introduce yet another round of ankle biter legislation. The cycle will continue.

Freedoms are usually lost over time, little by little until someone wakes up one day and notices they only live with an illusion of freedom. Its like boiling the frog in water by slowly raising the heat over time, it slowly becomes desensitized to the temperature right up until death.

The only laws I do agree with are those that truly work to reduce violence especially when a gun is involved, and basic stuff like background checks,illegal for a convicted felon to own a gun, stiff penalties for using guns in commission of a violent crime,etc.

And don't forget, when anti's and grabbers mean *compromise*, it means *we* bend to *their* will, it never is, and never will be, a real *compromise*.

• Like 2

well I guess I worded my first post kinda wrong. I was thinking on having this pertain to NJ, not nationally. It would give us better mag cap laws without going overboard and knowing that it would be shot down instantly. You cant always go for everything all at once. Gotta start with baby steps. If we say that we want all mag laws completely shot down in NJ, we all know the libertards will automatically say hell no, without reading all that is presented. You have to give a little to get a little. I am planning on working with some of my friends that are highly influential in the firearms community when I am home and start hitting the pavement. Nobody else seems to want to fight any of the draconian laws this state has other than CCW. So time to start to get the ball moving myself. I am open to any suggestions you may have that are realistic, I was just putting a thought out there.

USN, I understand what your trying to say. Unfortunatly I have found in the world of firearms there is always some exception thats going to get screwed over. For example, what happens to weapons systems that dont use their own magazine? The TDI Kriss does not make their own mags, you use glock mags. So what would happen there? Im sure there are several others too.

I would also like to add that NJ2AS is fighting on MANY fronts of which just about every one of is some sort of infringement on our rights as a whole.

Well I am going to start using my time, resources and contacts to get the ball rolling. I don't want to sit on the sidelines when the game is being played. If we want change, we need to stand and fight for it. This is what I am prepared to do, even if I know it has no chance. I have heard that other organizations are fighting more than CCW, but the lack of communication about the other things they are fighting for keeps me disinterested. It is obvious that CCW is their main focus right now, so rather than stretch their resources more with another fight, a few other enthusiasts and myself will persue it.

Well I am going to start using my time, resources and contacts to get the ball rolling. I don't want to sit on the sidelines when the game is being played. If we want change, we need to stand and fight for it. This is what I am prepared to do, even if I know it has no chance. I have heard that other organizations are fighting more than CCW, but the lack of communication about the other things they are fighting for keeps me disinterested. It is obvious that CCW is their main focus right now, so rather than stretch their resources more with another fight, a few other enthusiasts and myself will peruse it.

The more the merrier. You are correct on the comm issue, but that will not be an issue as we move forward. Reducing the amount of BS and ridding ourselves of the draconian laws and hoops is a priority of the NJ2AS. And we do welcome all the help we can get. Let me know how we can help you.

Many of the complaints after the Arizona shooting resulted in renewed efforts to limit magazine capacities.

Watch this and then explain to me why limiting magazine capacities makes any sense?!?

Not like the magazine change is going to slow any half competent shooter down at all. So why ltns limits? It's stupid, makes no sense, and only done to make anti's feel good. But in reality it does nothing.

Many of the complaints after the Arizona shooting resulted in renewed efforts to limit magazine capacities.

Watch this and then explain to me why limiting magazine capacities makes any sense?!?

Not like the magazine change is going to slow any half competent shooter down at all. So why ltns limits? It's stupid, makes no sense, and only done to make anti's feel good. But in reality it does nothing.

Not many people can re-load as fast as Travis and I, but don't be surprised if we see something along the lines of restricting the amount of clips you can have.

Regardless the main issue is to enforce the laws we have and punish those who have obtained a firearm illegally. Punishing or restricting us, the law biding people with guns is not going to stop crime.

I still contend that this idiot in AZ was probably using cheap aftermarket non-drop free 33rnd mags. He was fumbling with a mag change when they took him down, most likely having to extract the spent mag before retrieving the next full mag. Had he been using drop-free 10 or 15 round magazines he would have kept going until he ran out of ammo or was shot...

do you need a v8 engine? do you need a motorcycle? do you need two computers? two tvs? do you need a large house? what size magazine would you like to have if you were stuck in Cairo right now, assuming you were lucky enough to have stolen one of the guns from the abandoned police stations?, I trust my fellow citizens alot more than I trust politicians. Did you know the federal govt. has been controlling machine guns owned by civilians since 1934 and guess what? since 1934 0nly ONE legally owned machine gun has been misused (and he was a cop), so its not the weapon or the capacity that matters. Free countries dont tell the public what they NEED (well, liberals do, but lets not talk politics).

well since no one else is going to think of it, and I hate to give the bad guys the inside scoop, but did anyone ever see a western movie? well those guns had six rounds, but damn if those bright fellas didnt think one day to double their capacity by drawing both guns! The nut in arizona simply could have drawn a second gun, screw the reloading, its called a new york reload, but now Ive let the cat out of the bag.

well since no one else is going to think of it, and I hate to give the bad guys the inside scoop, but did anyone ever see a western movie? well those guns had six rounds, but damn if those bright fellas didnt think one day to double their capacity by drawing both guns! The nut in arizona simply could have drawn a second gun, screw the reloading, its called a new york reload, but now Ive let the cat out of the bag.

or he could have just rented a big truck and driven it into her and everyone around her at full speed..