Cemeterys Gun Blob

Insurance coverage for Firearms

Uncle has a post about Traveler's insurance being *anti gun*.

http://www.saysuncle.com/2011/02/11/travelers-insurance-anti-gun-2/

After lengthy communication with my broker who pointed out that the firearm in question is perfectly legal, and in fact, one of the most commonly owned rifles in the US, Travelers then modified their position, stating that this firearm was “undesirable” and that unless I sold or otherwise relinquished my ownership of this firearm, they would decline to continue BOTH my homeowners policy AND my umbrella coverage

Anybody ever have problems with insurance coverage for Firearms?

On a side note, I have Traveler's for car insurance as default, since they bought up First Trenton, but they're the most affordable for insurance here in NJ that I've found.

i have travelers, my original policy only covered $1500 for guns i added a rider to it to cover me to 20k if something happens. the next bracket up was 50 or 100k and the was ALOT more money that it wasnt worth it to me. ill just have to take a little hit but i was shocked when my broker told me my current coverage was $1500.

I have NJM... I believe the limit is $2000 on firearms. I should really find a rider for em...

I never paid much attention to my homeowners firearms coverage until a gun magazine last year ran an article on it. Sure enough, $2000.00 maximum on most policy's, including mine.

I wonder if I can get one of the companies I work with to start offering firearms insurance in particular... granted, i dont do any property and casualty now.

Check the policies, see if you can amend the policy to increase limits. NRA's coverage is good too.

I didn't see anything in my policy specifically covering firearms. Just a general amount on personal property ($50K).

Most likely your firearms are covered up to either 1500 or 2500...look into it.

Never just assume with insurance. The underwriter just has to point out that you dont have that coverage in a claim situation.

I can do a policy specifically scheduling specific firearms. So therefore if there is a claim you dont have to pay a deductible (if you chose that option) and you can keep the claim seperate from your homeowners/condo/renters insurance policy. If anyone wants some info, PM me.

I sell insurance for a large very well known company.

i currently own 6 firearms and i dont know were to start looking for insurance. nra? njm? or look at works insurance. HELP PLZ

If you're a member of NRA, you have the option to select $2500 in arms insurance at no charge. You can increase that amount as you need to in order to cover your entire collection.

thx looking into the nra insurance b/c im not a home owner

You can get a rider on renters insurance. If you don't live like a college student and have real stuff in your apartment, renters insurance is the deal of the century when your neighbors BBQ indoors.

You can get a lot of coverage for $20 a month

thx looking into the nra insurance b/c im not a home owner

You can get a rider on renters insurance. If you don't live like a college student and have real stuff in your apartment, renters insurance is the deal of the century when your neighbors BBQ indoors.

You can get a lot of coverage for $20 a month

I can actually do a policy even without renters insurance. A policy just on the guns themselves. For example, I have about $2000 in coverage currently and with NO deductible I think i pay around $60/year.

I can actually do a policy even without renters insurance. A policy just on the guns themselves. For example, I have about $2000 in coverage currently and with NO deductible I think i pay around $60/year.

Hehe. $2000 in firearms coverage. Hehehe.

I dropped my rider and went with a dedicated policy with a company that understands firearms. Costs more, but it will actually cover my stuff.

My homeowners policy covers any and all with a value over $499 with no extra charge! I keep the NRA ins for those valued under $499.

Here is something to keep in mind for everyone in here. The deductible.

I know nothing about what company actually insures you through the NRA, havent looked into it, so I cannot comment on them or their policy. Most policies will have a deductible, especially the ones that are saying that their homeonwers/renters has included coverage. Usually what is included will only cover very certain perils (forced entry/break-in, fire, water) and will typically carry a $500-1000 deductible.

Does anyone here know the details on the NRA policy? If not and you are relying on it to cover a substantial amount of firearms you should really make sure its the correct coverage that you need. Same to everyone else here, make sure you know what you are covered for.

One other thing to keep in mind is ammunition. Is that covered and at what deductible/limit? Typically that would fall under General Personal Property on a homeowners policy.

I have a seperate insurance policy through a collectors specialty company( I cant remember the name right now) and they are awesome when it comes to insuring a collection. Only items valued at over $2000 I have to take pictures of and Items valued over $5000 I have to have inspected. The lower end stuff under $2000 they dont need an inventory of, only the high dollar stuff. When I get home I will look at my policy stuff and give details of it.

Hehe. $2000 in firearms coverage. Hehehe.

I dropped my rider and went with a dedicated policy with a company that understands firearms. Costs more, but it will actually cover my stuff.

Hey man i just started :p Well now that the AR is done I can add a grand or so on top :)

I have a seperate insurance policy through a collectors specialty company( I cant remember the name right now) and they are awesome when it comes to insuring a collection. Only items valued at over $2000 I have to take pictures of and Items valued over $5000 I have to have inspected. The lower end stuff under $2000 they dont need an inventory of, only the high dollar stuff. When I get home I will look at my policy stuff and give details of it.

I would love to get the name of this company. Do they insure all collectibles or just firearms? I have a nice collections of sports memorabilia and my wife has a substantial barbie collection.