tuktuk

Photoshoot with firearms

My friend whoz a pro photographer wants to do a photoshoot with firearms ... Let's say half naked girls and guns out in the woods. Or historical uniforms and firearms in the woods. Is there any provision to the gun laws that wud allow it? Is there some kind of permit he can get? Any ideas are appreciated. Thank you.

I actually spent some time thinking about this in great detail for a project I was thinking of, and gave it up as being unworkable under current law.

If you transport your guns to anywhere that isn't exempted, it's illegal.

If you hand your guns to anyone in a non-exempted location, it's an illegal transfer

if you hand your guns to anyone who may not be allowed to possess guns, it's an illegal transfer

If someone sees your model in the woods with a gun, it's likely brandishing or threatening

There may be more, but my brain started hurting when I realized the risk I would be taking.

I can't believe you guys are over thinking this so much.

If you do it on your own property, you're fine. I've taken many photo shoots with my girlfriend with guns and it's been no problem.

Doing it on public property is a different story though.

By the letter of the law, that is incorrect, and illegal. Here's a scenario for you:

Me and my wife both have FID card, and both own handguns. Someone breaks in and tries to attack her while I'm home. She grabs MY handgun and shoots the attacker. Even if the shoot is ruled good, we are both guilty of an illegal transfer. No Prosecutor would actually try the case, but the law says that it is illegal.

Only option I could see is if you are on range property, and are doing a gun safety course while taking the photos. You know, how to properly hold the gun in safe direction... hold it there... gooooood. .... snap!

• Like 1

You'd probably have to dive deep into theatrical regulations.

Otherwise how would movies or TV shows like the Soprano's or Law and Order: SVU get filmed in NJ?

or,

keep you're mouth shut, and do it guerrilla style. but you didn't hear that from me.

they don't use real guns and have prop houses/licensed armorers for just this reason

I couldn't find a comparable company website for NJ but you can learn something from this NYS company. Most of my film and television work has been in New York and I haven't ever really had the need to know this stuff since I moved to New Jersey but I am sure there are comparable places that will help you out with this.

http://www.moviegunservices.com/mgs_proplaws.html

http://www.moviegunservices.com/mgs_weapontypes.htm

From the website

Federal and state law requires that any prop made from a live firearm, machine gun, shotgun or rifle be under direct supervision and guardianship of a licensed Gun Handler at all times. This would add to your production costs the wage, insurance and sundry costs of the Gun Handler, but would reduce your security and storage problems. Gun Handlers must be licensed by the jurisdiction within which the production will take place.

Poke around on that website. The process will become clear. Then go the the New Jersey Film commission and get a permit.

http://www.njfilm.org/

FIREARMS

Although working automatic and semi-automatic weapons are illegal in New Jersey, provision has been made for the use of theatrical firearms of every variety. A permit must be obtained from the New Jersey State Police in order to use or transport such theatrical firearms in the state. Out-of-state permits are not valid. In addition, specific information about the firearms and the parties responsible for them must be provided to both the New Jersey State Police and to the local police in the jurisdiction where said weapons are to be used. Consult the New Jersey Motion Picture and Television Commission for further information.

By the letter of the law, that is incorrect, and illegal. Here's a scenario for you:

Me and my wife both have FID card, and both own handguns. Someone breaks in and tries to attack her while I'm home. She grabs MY handgun and shoots the attacker. Even if the shoot is ruled good, we are both guilty of an illegal transfer. No Prosecutor would actually try the case, but the law says that it is illegal.

Which law? I'm curious how people are able to shoot others at ranges and so-on?

That's whats i'm trying to figure out tho, what exactly does a range exempt you from?

Basically, NJ law says that it's illegal to hand your NJ compliant, legally owned firearm to ANYONE, ANYWHERE, for ANY REASON, EVER.

In an example of what they consider compromise, the state has begrudgingly deigned to allow "temporary transfer" exceptions to this absurd law so that we can enjoy a few of the freedoms of firearm ownership. So, we may hand our guns to someone else while hunting, at a gun shop or smith or at a state permitted range. There are some restrictions on the transfer to keep it legal. Period. That's it. If someone comes to your house and you show off your collection and hand them a gun to look at, illegal. Doesn't matter if it's your property, doesn't matter if the gun is unloaded.

This is why I find all of the discussions on shooting on private property so interesting. If you're not in a no discharge area, or otherwise allowed to discharge firearms on private property, YOU may shoot YOUR guns on YOUR property. Anything else is either a violation of transportation or transfer laws and is illegal in some way.

There are no exemptions under temporary transfer sections in the statutes permitting an owner to transfer his/her firearm to another person in your home. Since NJ is rule by exemption, anything without an exemption is technically illegal. This is the way I read it anyways.

The person to whom a handgun, rifle or shotgun is temporarily transferred by the legal owner of the firearm or a licensed dealer may receive, possess, carry and use that handgun, rifle or shotgun, if the transfer is made upon a firing range operated by a licensed dealer, by a law enforcement agency, a legally recognized military organization or a rifle or pistol club which has filed a copy of its charter with the superintendent and annually submits to the superintendent a list of its members and if the firearm is received, possessed, carried and used for the sole purpose of target practice, trap or skeet shooting, or competition upon that firing range or instruction and training at any location

The other exemptions are for hunting , in which you need a permit to hunt with that particular type of firearm and be on suitable land, law enforcement, or instructors to trainees for training when taking a course.

I still have not found a provision that allows a dealer to hand over a firearm to a prospective customer at their shop. They only refer to a "firing range operated by a licensed dealer".

If someone comes to your house and you show off your collection and hand them a gun to look at, illegal.

There are no exemptions under temporary transfer sections in the statutes permitting an owner to transfer his/her firearm to another person in your home.

not if you are conducting

instruction and training at any location

The law doesn't say you have to be a certified anything or the instruction or training has to be formal. If you are over my house and I want you to educate you regarding the fine Swiss watch action on my K31 it would be covered under instruction and training.

You refer to temporary possession at a range. Here is the law that allows it in the home.

2C:39-5b Any person who knowingly has in his possession any handgun, including any antique handgun, without first having obtained a permit to carry the same as provided in N.J.S.2C:58-4, is guilty of a crime of the third degree if the handgun is in the nature of an air gun, spring gun or pistol or other weapon of a similar nature in which the propelling force is a spring, elastic band, carbon dioxide, compressed or other gas or vapor, air or compressed air, or is ignited by compressed air, and ejecting a bullet or missile smaller than three-eighths of an inch in diameter, with sufficient force to injure a person. Otherwise it is a crime of the second degree.
2C:39-6e Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent a person keeping or carrying about his place of business, residence, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, any firearm, or from carrying the same, in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section, from any place of purchase to his residence or place of business, between his dwelling and his place of business, between one place of business or residence and another when moving, or between his dwelling or place of business and place where such firearms are repaired, for the purpose of repair. For the purposes of this section, a place of business shall be deemed to be a fixed location.

Don't read into something that isn't there.