Daedalus

Gasoline Prices - April 12 2011

I saw this on the way home from work this evening and just had to bust out the phone camera. I do not know how to zoom in and crop the picture but I think you will get the idea anyway.

IMG-20110412-00039.jpg

I saw similar prices over in Edison near Metro-Park RR Station. It was about 8pm and the place looked closed and the station across the street was $1 cheaper so I figured it was a joke or something. Who the hell would buy gas there when it's a buck cheaper across the street? I heard reports of $5 by Memorial Day.

New Jersey?

I gotta tell you, NJ gas prices haven't been that good compared to PA for some time. Now, obviously, as you just saw, gas prices can vary over a dollar within NJ alone, which is huge. But I drive around NJ quite a bit and I can't find deals on more than $0.10/gallon from where I live in PA. Usually, it's higher in NJ. Rich areas, poor areas, cities, surburbs, farmlands, Pineys. I don't scour NJ, but I see a bit over the course of a quarter.

To give you an idea what I pay for gas in PA, go to pennsylvaniagasprices.com or any of the associated websites. They are all the same for all the states and commonwealths. Put in Bethlehem, PA for an idea of the gas prices around me.

Some recent examples are: Clinton, Chatham, Morristown, New Brunswick, Elizabeth, Piscataway. All of those places in NJ had either the same prices, cheaper by $0.03, or most commonly higher prices than I get in PA. As far as I am concerned, gas is the same where I live in PA or at least you have less of a chance of getting ripped off in PA. Of course, it probably depends on where you live in PA. I live in the entire Lehigh Valley.

These are places I've been to recently and places at which I could not find reasonable prices on gasoline. I always leave home early for client meetings. Traffic is a major **** in NJ. So, sometimes I show up a few minutes early, and sometimes I show up an hour early. So, I park some place and read a book, drive around and check the area out, or drive around and look for gas. I never find deals on gas in NJ.

I alwso have family in South Jersey. I visit them as little as possible, probably 5 times a year. I make them come up here. I was down there 2 months ago and gas was extremely expensive compared to where I live in PA.

It may be true that somehow gasoline is cheaper in NJ. It MUST somehow be true. But I never see it, so I fill up in PA.

That station is an oddball. Prices are usually $0.80 to $1.10 higher than the norm. I used to pass it every day on the way to my old office. The crazy thing is that I would occasionally see someone actually getting gas there. I gues P.T. Barnum was right after all.

eh, maybe not. Most gas stations make all their money on the convenience store. Maybe they don't want to sell the gas, but to keep the name and the location, they have to sell gas...so they do at a price that makes it worthwhile to go pump it.

Either that or it's a mob front and is actively laundering money so who cares about the gas. No sense dealing with annoying customers.

3.55 to 3.59 all along my commute, all day today.

I was in Bangor PA this weekend and it was 20 cents higher.

I expect this will give the economy a kick in the nuts and bring it back to its knees before the last jab to the temporal lobe.

As already mentioned, that stations is sort of infamous. I use to live right around the corner. There is, or at least was, a car rental company tied to the station and our working theory was that the gas was priced at a high margin to increase the profit on rental cars returned without a full tank.

That station is an oddball. Prices are usually $0.80 to $1.10 higher than the norm. I used to pass it every day on the way to my old office. The crazy thing is that I would occasionally see someone actually getting gas there. I gues P.T. Barnum was right after all.

I live close to that station (near Merck facility in Summit) and it is indeed an anomaly. That station has *always* had gas prices that are ~$1.00 above prevailing prices, including back during the gas spike in '08.

I read a local paper article about the station once - from what I remember the owner had a fight with Exxon over some franchise term - he still has the franchise, but Exxon is trying to force him to give it up by gouging him on gas sales. He simply reflects that in his pump prices and obviously sells little to no gas. Service work and used car sales are his mainstay. If you'll notice, the parking lot at that station is nearly always full of cars either awaiting service or being sold. Supposedly he does a lot of auction sales of used cars.

I live close to that station (near Merck facility in Summit) and it is indeed an anomaly. That station has *always* had gas prices that are ~$1.00 above prevailing prices, including back during the gas spike in '08.

I read a local paper article about the station once - from what I remember the owner had a fight with Exxon over some franchise term - he still has the franchise, but Exxon is trying to force him to give it up by gouging him on gas sales. He simply reflects that in his pump prices and obviously sells little to no gas. Service work and used car sales are his mainstay. If you'll notice, the parking lot at that station is nearly always full of cars either awaiting service or being sold. Supposedly he does a lot of auction sales of used cars.

There used to be an exxon station down the street from me which always had abnormally higher gas prices, i brought my car there for oil changes and one day asked about the gas prices.. he basically said exxon was trying to screw him out of the franchise. It took 2 years but they finally closed because no one went there for gas.

I saw similar prices over in Edison near Metro-Park RR Station. It was about 8pm and the place looked closed and the station across the street was $1 cheaper so I figured it was a joke or something. Who the hell would buy gas there when it's a buck cheaper across the street? I heard reports of $5 by Memorial Day.

5 bucks by Memorial Day just great, just in time for my trip to a weekend party in Louisiana, good thing I'll be on the bike, bad thing I need Premium.

Harry