Remington

Cherry Ridge

Glad I caught this thread. I have been traveling a bunch this month and lost track of time. Anything special I should know about the orientation? I assume you have to sign up and pay on the website before you go to orientation? Thanks.

I would agree that someone that is joining probably won't find it easy to fit in shooting afterwards. However, the earlier portion of the morning on membership days is often a ghost town on the actual ranges. New members aren't out of the meeting yet and current members usually write off the entire day as not a good time to go shooting.

I was up there on Sunday morning to join. Beautiful day, but I couldn't stay to shoot because I had to dash off to a family event. Was planning to head up there today, but I would imagine it's not much fun in the rain. Even if the shooting stations are covered, seems like it would be a pain to have the targets get wet, and to have to walk out in the rain on the wet ground to change them. Am I just being a big baby about it?

On a different subject, I thought I heard the gentleman giving the orientation talk say something about cleaning up one's spent shells. Probably a dumb question, but do I need to bring a broom and dustpan or something to gather them? (I have no plans to re-load.) I guess I'm a little spoiled from shooting at The Bullet Hole, where the RO comes around and sweeps up the casings.

Probably a dumb question, but do I need to bring a broom and dustpan or something to gather them? (I have no plans to re-load.) I guess I'm a little spoiled from shooting at The Bullet Hole, where the RO comes around and sweeps up the casings.

There are brooms and dustpans scattered around the different ranges. The ROs at BH only have to deal with 10 ports. The 50/100 rifle range at CR is like 75 ports or something. If the ROs had to clean up the brass, they'd never get a chance to do anything else on a busy day.

But hey, you may get lucky and one of the brass hoarders will come around and ask if he can have your brass :)

I was up there on Sunday morning to join. Beautiful day, but I couldn't stay to shoot because I had to dash off to a family event. Was planning to head up there today, but I would imagine it's not much fun in the rain. Even if the shooting stations are covered, seems like it would be a pain to have the targets get wet, and to have to walk out in the rain on the wet ground to change them. Am I just being a big baby about it?

On a different subject, I thought I heard the gentleman giving the orientation talk say something about cleaning up one's spent shells. Probably a dumb question, but do I need to bring a broom and dustpan or something to gather them? (I have no plans to re-load.) I guess I'm a little spoiled from shooting at The Bullet Hole, where the RO comes around and sweeps up the casings.

Give me a buzz when you go up there. I'll shoot with you, bend your ear and clean-up your brass. See, I'm a brass whore, talker and lousey shot!

I've noticed at CR they say to pickup your Shotgun shells. Didn't say anything about regular brass. Can't remember if we picked 'em up or left it for people..

Can't remember if we picked 'em up or left it for people..

Generally speaking, when the CR NJGF crew gets together, we pick up the brass and give it to the reloaders in the group (usually Sigman).

I always try to do a "best effort" to pick up my brass if for no other reason than to give it to one of our reloaders as Pete mentioned.

Someone will ultimately get it, so just don't leave a giant pile of it laying all over. If it's unreloadable, make a better effort at getting it.

As for shotgun shells, I make sure to get as close to 100% of those as possible.

Give me a buzz when you go up there. I'll shoot with you, bend your ear and clean-up your brass. See, I'm a brass whore, talker and lousey shot!

Thanks for the offer. I'll definitely take you up on that. I'm not a brass whore, but I'm right with you on the other two!

Generally speaking, when the CR NJGF crew gets together, we pick up the brass and give it to the reloaders in the group (usually Sigman).

Yes - I pick up lots of brass at CR - thanks Pete. Hey - I should be there Sat morning shooting and collecting.

Yes - I pick up lots of brass at CR - thanks Pete. Hey - I should be there Sat morning shooting and collecting.

I might be there as well with your bullets, Maybe... But at anycase we can wrestle for brass, Best two out of three falls :icon_rolleyes:

I'm suprised at how many guys dont clean up. I save all my brass and after awhile sell and buy myself some accessories, what the heck. Also every now and then I bring ny magnet and sweep along the gravel/blacktop for the steel, kinda bothers me seeing all that crap laying around and rusting.Get weird looks sometimes and no I dont keep it!

Was just checking the schedule and saw this:

7-May-11 All Ranges Closed Youthfest [email protected]

This past month has pretty much sucked. Either the range was flooded or closed for activities. At least I got there last Sunday. Although it was sign up day, It was still great shooting in the morning. I'll be fuming if it rains next weekend. I guess it's BH Sat morning.

Thanks for the heads up Pete.