kenw

Wal-Mart Bringing firearms/ammo back to half its stores

In NY an alert appears on the screen asking for a handgun permit if any handgun ammo is sold - not a biggie to add it to the software of the POS to have to key in an SBI or DL number.

Question... I drive through upstate NY every couple of months, specifically Plattsburg,what are the pitfalls, if any, with purchasing ammo at the huge Walmart there on my way back into New Jersey?. That is of course if it is even possible?

Question... I drive through upstate NY every couple of months, specifically Plattsburg,what are the pitfalls, if any, with purchasing ammo at the huge Walmart there on my way back into New Jersey?. That is of course if it is even possible?

No problem if they have ammo and the prices are good.

Harry

Good for you. I can tell you for a fact that while the "awesome" mom and pop shops were raping people for ammo during the 2009 shortage, WalMart was not... But you're right, capitalism and buying power sucks. :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, i wont shop anywhere that attempts to rip me off.. which is why i will never buy ammo at a NJ store.... 16bucks for a box of cheap 9mm seems to be the norm around me....yeah f'in right... With on-line shops hitting the market you should be able to find decent ammo prices without going to a place like walmart. The market will always reflect supply and demand with exception to places like walmart while supplies last.

Don't get me wrong, i wont shop anywhere that attempts to rip me off.. which is why i will never buy ammo at a NJ store.... 16bucks for a box of cheap 9mm seems to be the norm around me....yeah f'in right... With on-line shops hitting the market you should be able to find decent ammo prices without going to a place like walmart. The market will always reflect supply and demand with exception to places like walmart while supplies last.

Haven't you found that unless it's a real good promo or sale when it comes to the online sellers or you're ordering 500+ rounds the shipping pretty much puts it right back to average retail store prices? I for one have neither the resources or space to order 1000 rounds at a time.

Haven't you found that unless it's a real good promo or sale when it comes to the online sellers or you're ordering 500+ rounds the shipping pretty much puts it right back to average retail store prices? I for one have neither the resources or space to order 1000 rounds at a time.

Not really, 1000 rounds shipped is still way cheaper than 1000 rounds in any NJ retail store.

And again you forget the the small store has to pay rent, taxes, and pay the employees and the owner enough to make a living in New Jersey where the cost of living is much higher then other places. Remember that when you put a small shop out of business new shooters have a much harder time buying their first gun or their accessories. Most of us may know we can order online or ship guns to a kitchen table dealer, and thats great, but then you never get new shooters and we wither and die.

Think of the second order effects of your purchasing decisions. I'll pay a small premium at my local store to have them be in business, think of it as a donation to gun rights. Sure, I buy my reloading components in bulk online, but I'll buy primers locally. Sure, I'll order specialized parts, but I'll buy targets, oils, etc locally. I'll even buy a gun directly through a local shop if the it isn't more then $100 over Buds price plus ffl transfer fee for the convenience and keeping them in business.

10 years ago there were 5 gun stores within 10mile radius from where I live and 7 within 20 miles, not counting Big stores, of which there were 4 in the same range. Now there is ONE small store, and 2 Big stores in the same radius. That sound like a good plan to you?

Honestly, if my Wal Mart near me started stocking guns and ammo, I'd buy them there. Why? Beats going to PA or Delaware. Its closer, I'd rather deal with a small tax then paying for gas and FFL fees and bridge toll, which is ridiculous. Hell, I'd even work there and do everything right so we don't get screwed over because of the lazy, misinformed, or uneducated.

Honestly, if my Wal Mart near me started stocking guns and ammo, I'd buy them there. Why? Beats going to PA or Delaware. Its closer, I'd rather deal with a small tax then paying for gas and FFL fees and bridge toll, which is ridiculous. Hell, I'd even work there and do everything right so we don't get screwed over because of the lazy, misinformed, or uneducated.

From what I understand you do not want to work at Walmart

From what I understand you do not want to work at Walmart

I have friends that work or worked at wal mart and it isn't horrible, but it isn't the best job. Honestly its just something to get experience until something better comes along. But they haven't hired me, maybe cause I'm to smart to work there. Honestly its better than fast food. I had a friend that worked at McDonalds and he the things that happened there were, well lets just say not kosher.

I find ammo online way cheaper then in stores and found a place that ships for free, if you do some digging there out there. I also buy 9mm 5.56 and .22lr, probably the most common rounds.

And again you forget the the small store has to pay rent, taxes, and pay the employees and the owner enough to make a living in New Jersey where the cost of living is much higher then other places. Remember that when you put a small shop out of business new shooters have a much harder time buying their first gun or their accessories. Most of us may know we can order online or ship guns to a kitchen table dealer, and thats great, but then you never get new shooters and we wither and die.

Think of the second order effects of your purchasing decisions. I'll pay a small premium at my local store to have them be in business, think of it as a donation to gun rights. Sure, I buy my reloading components in bulk online, but I'll buy primers locally. Sure, I'll order specialized parts, but I'll buy targets, oils, etc locally. I'll even buy a gun directly through a local shop if the it isn't more then $100 over Buds price plus ffl transfer fee for the convenience and keeping them in business.

10 years ago there were 5 gun stores within 10mile radius from where I live and 7 within 20 miles, not counting Big stores, of which there were 4 in the same range. Now there is ONE small store, and 2 Big stores in the same radius. That sound like a good plan to you?

I would much rather buy from a local shop than either big box or online, and when the pricing difference isn't enormous, that's what I do.

The way to ensure the health of the local shops, who absolutely have to pay rent/mortgage, onerous taxes, permit fees, insurance and everything else that costs more in NJ isn't to vilify them for charging more, but to do everything we can to grow the community, encourage new people to shop locally, and maybe the shops will eventually realize enough volume that either A) their buying power will increase or B) they'll be able to reduce their margins in favor of increased volume. If the volume growth isn't there for them, neither thing will happen, they'll have to continue to raise their prices to meet their needs, and eventually they'll all go extinct.

Only the community can save the businesses that support us with their goods and services.

• Like 2

There were several threads about an ironically named online company who gouged excessively - moreso than even the local shops - during the great ammo shortage of 09.

Well i don't know why people would just pay the price, i generally do a search and comparison of prices to get an idea of the market.

I would love to support my local shops but they charge way way to much, so i support "local" shops with on-line stores out side of NJ. There's no reason a box of 9mm should cost 5 bucks more +tax.

License withstanding, the FPID is only required for handgun ammo purchases. 12GA shotgun does not require a FID. In PA walmarts, all of the ammo is locked up except for 12/20Ga packs. If they did that here, they would be fine.

In NJ all the ammo has to be locked up or behind the counter. It is against the law for the customers to have direct access to it.

I was at Walmart today and they still had guns. You guys can take them if you want. I was just after ammo. Whoah, did they have ammo today! It was packed! And the selection has been getting better and better over the past year.

But, I wanted a certain kind of .22. They didn't have it. I knew they probably didn't but I was next door so I checked.

Competition is only a small reason so many gun shops have closed (including most of the legendary ones). Regulation is a bigger reason. Keep in mind that in NJ you have to jump through hoops to get your license in the first place, you need to get your employees approved by NJSP to sell guns and ammo (which can take 2 months) and when you add our oppressive antiquated laws on buying guns, which discourages sales, it really makes it a tough business to be in.

Most of the FFLs in NJ are people who do it because they like guns, rather than it being just a job to them.

If the local shops are within $100 of Buds I will buy locally. If they are too high then I have an FFL I can deal through. I try to support our local economy when possible (and practical), I know what it's like to run a business in NJ.

I would much rather buy from a local shop than either big box or online, and when the pricing difference isn't enormous, that's what I do.

The way to ensure the health of the local shops, who absolutely have to pay rent/mortgage, onerous taxes, permit fees, insurance and everything else that costs more in NJ isn't to vilify them for charging more, but to do everything we can to grow the community, encourage new people to shop locally, and maybe the shops will eventually realize enough volume that either A) their buying power will increase or B) they'll be able to reduce their margins in favor of increased volume. If the volume growth isn't there for them, neither thing will happen, they'll have to continue to raise their prices to meet their needs, and eventually they'll all go extinct.

Only the community can save the businesses that support us with their goods and services.

But it goes both ways..If I was in the position where my business and livelihood was in jeopardy because of competition, and lets face it aren't they all?, I would make damn sure that every person that took the time and effort to walk through my door was catered to.What ever I could not compete with price or selection wise would be made up for in customer service. Yet we have long treads on this very forum about shoddy treatment at independent gun stores.I applaud the ones that step up and take care of their customer base but how many of those that went under didn't and ultimately paid the price?

• Like 2

If the local shops are within $100 of Buds I will buy locally. If they are too high then I have an FFL I can deal through. I try to support our local economy when possible (and practical), I know what it's like to run a business in NJ.

Here is a hint: You can bargain. Think of it as buying a car. Sure, some idiots will pay full price because thats what the sticker says. Pretty much everyone else does not. Apply the same logic to buying guns. I do, and it works quite well for me. I go in knowing exactly how much the gun is worth, how much online prices are, and how much I'm willing to spend over that. I normally get to that price without much effort, because the shop owner also knows all this information.

Here is a hint: You can bargain. Think of it as buying a car. Sure, some idiots will pay full price because thats what the sticker says. Pretty much everyone else does not. Apply the same logic to buying guns. I do, and it works quite well for me. I go in knowing exactly how much the gun is worth, how much online prices are, and how much I'm willing to spend over that. I normally get to that price without much effort, because the shop owner also knows all this information.

I agree, show em the price on a website and ask "What is the best price you can give me on this gun"

Bring in a printout from the site, bring up the site on your smartphone or laptop. It never hurts to ask.

I agree, show em the price on a website and ask "What is the best price you can give me on this gun"

Bring in a printout from the site, bring up the site on your smartphone or laptop. It never hurts to ask.

This is a respectable approach IMO. Much better than "Can you match this price?" which shows that you have little to no regard for the business costs associated with running a brick and mortar shop.

100% correct. Which is why many, myself included buy 1000 at a time. Something I like to point out to poeple that say "why would anyone need that much ammo?"

Well, I called Paul at Arms & Ammo (PK90) about a rifle, he told me how much, I went down there and paid him his price, plus bought a bunch of ammo. I wasn't going to bargain with him, I thought the price was fine.

I bought a shotgun from Tim on here (tbtrout), did not ask him to haggle, paid what he wanted, we are both happy.

I do look at Buds for prices, as well as Gun Broker and Guns America so I have a good idea on what stuff costs. If I feel a local shop is too high and I want something they have I will tell them some internet prices, plus include the shipping and FFL fees, remind them there is no tax, and see what they are willing to do.

Honestly I have an awesome FFL to deal with and Paul is a cool guy also.