My wife can't stand the smell of Hoppes solvent. She finally understands what I mean when I tell her that her nail polish remover makes me nauseous. Is there another solvent that I can use that smells less or at least more pleasant?

Less? Yes.

More pleasant? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She was buried under a blanket the first time I cleaned our guns, and since then has banished me to the basement to do it. I don't really mind it, it smells a little like medicine to me. Goes well with the "ritual" of cleaning. I understand her point though, and I want to get her to be able to clean her own gun.

Gunslick's cleaner is very mild smelling. I switched back to Hoppe's though because Gunslick doesn't seem to clean as well.

Hoppe's seems to be almost all kerosene, maybe you can convince your wife you're camping? (p.s. that didn't work with my wife. but the smell keeps her out of the basement which is useful sometimes)

I occasionally use Sharp Shoot R foam, has no smell whatsoever. Thing is you have to leave it overnight. Works great for copper fouling. I use it, let it sit for a few hours, then run a brush and a few dry patches to get the initial crud out. I then leave it overnight, and run a few patches through the next day. The patch will be dark blue / black from all the copper and crud it has been eating away overnight.

Note: a little goes a long way. Spray it in, and wait for it to expand. Otherwise, you'll just waste the foam as it shoots out of the other side of the barrel.

Its awesome with copper removal, just OK with carbon/crud. You could use one of the other options mentioned in the thread for initial brush/swab of the bore to remove the crud, then follow up with the foam for a de-copper process.

I just got a bottle of G96 synthetic CLP. It also has no smell, but I haven't tried it yet, so can't comment on its capabilities yet. I'll probably try it this weekend and will post here if I have good results.

bore foam

Another vote for MPro 7.

I live in an apartment, so I can't use anything that smells too strongly or is toxic. MPro 7 works really well and is non-toxic. I read somewhere that it's based on the same formula as Simple Green, but does not corrode metal.

Mpro7 and Hoppes Elite are the same stuff under different labels. I use them because they are non carcinogenic. Typically use the solvent on the barrel, magazines and if other parts are really grungy. Weapon Shield CLP to clean when heavy scrubbing isn't needed.

The Hoppes didn't bother me much.

Anyone use Brake Clean?

I buy it by the case to clean stuff on my race cars. Love using it, cleans everything and leaves no residue. Any problem using it to clean guns? It will certainly remove any oils/lubricants and isn't good on plastics.

My shotgun is simple to clean since the barrel comes off in 2 seconds flat!

I have used Brake Clean and or carb and choke cleaner for Mag's, but not the gun.

Not not on a normal field strip, but I could see using it on a complete disassembly for individual parts, but I keep a lot of varsol around for hand cleaning parts, It was what my father and I used for years at the machine shop to clean the parts that were made there.

Harry

I use brake cleaner that contains only 1,1,1,trichlor as a cheap alternative to more expensive "gun srubber" type options. Those more expensive gun products use the same chemical.

I'll dry-clean a gun like this only once in awhile as needed, not a normal part of my after range routine. You have to be really sure to re-lube the entire gun, paying attention to get into every nook and cranny as the cleaner will strip every bit of oil/grease wherever it touches. I pretty much soak down the gun with an aerosol CLP type product, let it sit for 10 min, then wipe down. Parkerizing will look powdery and white after using a trichlor cleaner, the re-lube step will restore the deep dark color.

Just found out today that NJ doesn't allow the sale of 1,1,1 tricholor brake cleaner anymore. Stores supposedly only have an acetone based "non-chlorinated" version.

Just found out today that NJ doesn't allow the sale of 1,1,1 tricholor brake cleaner anymore. Stores supposedly only have an acetone based "non-chlorinated" version.

I use it, and it works well, just be careful using it on "Painted' rifles/handguns as opposed to Parked, blued, or stainless guns, also some of the cheaper plastic furniture doesnt fare too well. All in all, im not unhappy with the Non-Chlorinated cleaner, as the old stuff caused some pretty nasty reactions even using it outside.

ETA: DO NOT FORGET TO RE-OIL your gun after cleaning it with one of these solvents, it will strip ALL oils out of the metal and/or finish. Parked guns ESPECIALLY need to be oiled well after a Scrubber/Brake Cleaner bath.