Downr@nge

What's the best way to get over trigger anticipation?

So I picked up a used HK P2000 the day before yesterday in excellent condition for $495. I clean her up and lube her and take her to Bobs Little Sport Shop indoor range. I noticed that when shooting, sometimes I was shooting down and to the left. My friend was doing the same thing with his P99. He said we were anticipating our shots. I agree. I was slowly pulling the trigger then when I thought it would go bang, I pulled the trigger harder which messed up the shot. Then I tried slowly pulling all the way till it shot. Those shots were always accurate and hit where I intended to hit. My only issue with shooting that way is it takes me longer to get a shot off.

Is tons of dry firing the cure?

Just checked the gun out. Seems the trigger can be worked-down to 5.5 pounds by a H-K Armorer. That would be a great start. Then lots of dry-fire practice so you get muscle memory with the trigger job. Then several boxes of ammo later, depending upon your level of experience to begin with.

Good luck with the project.

Triple check that that baby is empty, get a snap cap and squeeze the trigger so slow that it hurts. Be very mindful of the release as well, follow through is one of the most overlooked aspects of shooting. Repeat 10,000 times.

• Like 1

Dry firing is the best way to go. The other thing I do is I like to shoot at object (cans/bottles) as opposed to targets. Something about hitting something, and not a few lines on a piece of paper gives me more focus.

• Like 1

Dry firing is the best way to go. The other thing I do is I like to shoot at object (cans/bottles) as opposed to targets. Something about hitting something, and not a few lines on a piece of paper gives me more focus.

Ditto, I'm the same way. My confidence is greatly increased when I'm shooting outside at multiple targets like cans, jugs, plastic bottles, telephone books etc. I'm at my best when I hit an object and it becomes air born, then shoot it again. I feel really focused, and shoot quick 2-3 round bursts without hesitation or anticipation. I like the freedom of movement shooting outside gives me also, and hit my marks with a handgun at farther distances than indoors.

Anticipation is an issue that can pop up at anytime, for any shooter regardless of experience. The solution is a smooth trigger pull. The shot should be a surprise. Well, almost.

All great advise, here is one additional one that wasn't mentioned. Take a few mags each and load them for the other person, however when loading them load 1 snap-cap in each in no particular order and let them shoot. Try and concentrate on your shots and trigger control and see what happens when you get to the snap-cap. If the site picture moved, more practice as said above. This can also help for other issues a shooter may have.

Harry

• Like 1

All great advise, here is one additional one that wasn't mentioned. Take a few mags each and load them for the other person, however when loading them load 1 snap-cap in each in no particular order and let them shoot. Try and concentrate on your shots and trigger control and see what happens when you get to the snap-cap. If the site picture moved, more practice as said above. This can also help for other issues a shooter may have.

Harry

Good for a revolver shooter too, only you really don't "need" the snap caps. Great for detecting the dreaded flinch that puts rounds low in the paper. Safe-action & DA pistols are notorious for creating this malady. If shooters would just "start" their shooting "careers" with a REVO on single action, they'd hit what they're aiming at most of the time. Knowing when the shot will fire isn't such a bad thing. I think that "learning" how not to shake during the squeeze, and maintaining follow-through has helped me in my 40+ years of shooting hand guns. I don't like "surprises", especially with a 2# smooth as a baby's a$$ trigger pull.

Just one opinion, and no doubt worth every penny you spent to get it, LOL!

Dave

Good for a revolver shooter too, only you really don't "need" the snap caps. Great for detecting the dreaded flinch that puts rounds low in the paper. Safe-action & DA pistols are notorious for creating this malady. If shooters would just "start" their shooting "careers" with a REVO on single action, they'd hit what they're aiming at most of the time. Knowing when the shot will fire isn't such a bad thing. I think that "learning" how not to shake during the squeeze, and maintaining follow-through has helped me in my 40+ years of shooting hand guns. I don't like "surprises", especially with a 2# smooth as a baby's a$$ trigger pull.

Just one opinion, and no doubt worth every penny you spent to get it, LOL!

Dave

Every time i shoot D/A i shoot low and left, S/A is always dead on. Then again it's a 92 and could really use a D spring to loosen the pull up. I'm gonna order one soon and practice, I've been getting into the habit of switching up D/A and S/A every other round to focus on the difference in trigger pull.

Every time i shoot D/A i shoot low and left, S/A is always dead on. Then again it's a 92 and could really use a D spring to loosen the pull up. I'm gonna order one soon and practice, I've been getting into the habit of switching up D/A and S/A every other round to focus on the difference in trigger pull.

That's how you develop good muscle-memory. But then, there's a reason guys like JJ Racazza use 1911 & 2011 style autos.

When you mix snap caps with live ammo it is a very good test to show if you are flinching and not following through. Remember you will see some downward movement, this is caused by the body trying to counteract the upward recoil and is normal. By the way, the NRA calls this training "ball and dummy". Just Sayin.

First of all, great, great gun. I have the same one (v3, decocker DA/SA). Dunno if yours is the same version or the LEM trigger, but if it is DA/SA you will have noticed that the trigger really and truly does suck. However, I've gotten used to it and it now doesn't bother me. Gun is very accurate for a combat pistol and the only one of my handguns that has never, not once, had a malfunction of any sort with any type of ammo. Some people argue that HKs are overpriced but I personally have found the fit, finish and function to be worth the few extra $$. And you got a steal by the way. If you want to fix the trigger, there is a guy named Bill Springfield who is known to do excellent trigger jobs on HKs. You can look him up on the web. I was going to send my gun to him but then decided to just shoot the hell out of it and do a lot of dry fire practice and eventually didn't notice the long somewhat gritty DA trigger pull.

• Like 1

get a Glock.. they shoot magic bullets that go straight EVERY time.. :icon_e_wink:

just kidding obviously.. I have never used snap caps to check follow through... but I have used them to simulate a misfire..... rack... clear.. shoot.. will have to try out watching the gun when the snap cap is "shot"... makes sense.. and seems like a good recommendation..

• Like 1

get a Glock.. they shoot magic bullets that go straight EVERY time.. :icon_e_wink:

just kidding obviously.. I have never used snap caps to check follow through... but I have used them to simulate a misfire..... rack... clear.. shoot.. will have to try out watching the gun when the snap cap is "shot"... makes sense.. and seems like a good recommendation..

Try it next time you go out, you will be amazed by the amount of movement you induce into the pistol when it does not fire to cover up your impulse.

So I picked up a used HK P2000 the day before yesterday in excellent condition for $495. I clean her up and lube her and take her to Bobs Little Sport Shop indoor range. I noticed that when shooting, sometimes I was shooting down and to the left. My friend was doing the same thing with his P99. He said we were anticipating our shots. I agree. I was slowly pulling the trigger then when I thought it would go bang, I pulled the trigger harder which messed up the shot. Then I tried slowly pulling all the way till it shot. Those shots were always accurate and hit where I intended to hit. My only issue with shooting that way is it takes me longer to get a shot off.

Is tons of dry firing the cure?

FROM ONE TRAVELING MAN TO ANOTHER, Make sure you do not squeeze your middle finger,rong finger, or your pinky finger on the hand that is holding the gun while you are squeezing the triger. I presume you are right handed if you are shooting at 7 o'clock ( down and to the left) Also your H&K, which is a great gun, has a slack in the triger before it tightens up for the final squeeze. Practice squeezing that slack quickly and then slowly squeeze the final stage.That squeeze is the most important process

in fireing your weapon. CREATE YOURSELF A GREAT DAY SHOOTING!! SCIG

• Like 1