gunnarsport

Central Jersey Rifle and Pistol Club? Anyone a member?

Hi,

Still debating which range to join...Fort Dix or Central Jersey Rifle and Pistol in Jackson.

Will the members of these ranges tell me the pluses and minuses of BOTH ranges? Is CJ really worth the initial $400.00 fee?

Thanks

This isn't going to answer all your questions but Central Jersey is awesome. I'd have joined already if I was sure I was staying in this state. If a position opens at my job somewhere that I want to live, I'm leaving in a heartbeat

Hi,

Still debating which range to join...Fort Dix or Central Jersey Rifle and Pistol in Jackson.

Will the members of these ranges tell me the pluses and minuses of BOTH ranges? Is CJ really worth the initial $400.00 fee?

Thanks

Its about what you want.

Ft. Dix

+ Cheap if you go seldom. $65 plus hourly.

- Limited Hours

- Limited facilities, and you are on someone else's clock.

- No indoor facility

Bottom line, it is the best value for the money if you are a limited shooter.

CJRPC

+ The BEST facilities in the state. Indoor 24/7 range, outside pits, 200 yard general purpose range, 300 yard high power rifle range, 50 year outdoor pistol, tons of shotgun stuff.

- relatively expensive. $400 initial fee, plus $265 per year. Annual fees can be offset by work credits and attending 4 meetings a year.

bottom line, if you go shoot more than twice a month, it is worth it. Only caveat, if you have plans to move out of the state in less than a year or two, in which case you have to figure in the one time cap contribution.

Let me know if you want to check out the club.

Hi,

Thanks

Maks is correct. A lot of us have memberships to Dix. It's not bad but the cease fires and stuff get a little crazy. It's cheap and if you seldom go, it's good. CJRPC is great on all front's.

Like maks said, if you wanna be guested in to try the place out, let Maks or myself know.

I was just at CJRPC today, have belonged for about 5 years now. Excellent facilities and I've never had to wait for a bench even on weekends. I go about 1-3 times per month, usually for 2 hours per trip. The indoor pistol range has been re-vamped in the past few years. Fully automated, up to date ventilation, heaters, etc etc. Good stuff.

OBRPC is about 10 min from my house. I've tried their facilities out. I still apt to travel the 50 min to CJRPC as I feel it is worth it.

Thanks....

Looks like Fort Dix will fits my needs MUCH better than CJRPC.

Thats how most start. =)

Personally, for me it is the hours. if I feel like shooting at 2am, I want to go at 2am.

Most of the stuff now is either at the pits... where you can walk/shoot, etc. Go check out CJ with a friend, or go there for a match, uspsa/steel/shotgun/rifle, and check out the facilities then. I think you will find it is welllll worth it if you value your time and facilities.

Ft Dix = renting hotel room for the hour.

CJRPC = renting a nice 5* room.

Do you want to go straight to business, or want to be pampered?

• Like 2

Well, its also a matter of what one can afford too. I try to live within my means. If money was no object, id probably go straight to CJRPC.

I had had the same reservations when it comes to joining CJ, but it was well worth it after I cried when I wrote the check. But if you plan on doing a lot of shooting at different hours it is the way to go. Just the difference in the crowds is worth the price for me. My wife and I have been at CJ a few Fridays till 1230/0100.

Question for you guys that are members of CJRPC. Is the $400 a one time fee? I've considered joining a couple times mainly because I work an odd shift and can only get to Ft. Dix every other weekend. I really would love to go in the morning before work. Looking at their website is a little confusing making me think it's like $600 a year.

Question for you guys that are members of CJRPC. Is the $400 a one time fee? I've considered joining a couple times mainly because I work an odd shift and can only get to Ft. Dix every other weekend. I really would love to go in the morning before work. Looking at their website is a little confusing making me think it's like $600 a year.

$400 one time fee.

$262.50 or whatever it is annually.

If you just look at the initiation plus annual dues it is alot...but... versus public range...

indoor - Do you go at least 10 times a year? CJ worth it.

Factor in all the other things, it is a no brainer.

People dont question buying a gun and ammo, but a membership is an investment.

Dix doesn't compare to cjrpc. The fact that you have pits, rifle and an indoor range, there is no comparison. After the initial $400, the dues are less than dix every year and can easily be brought down to $150 with little effort.

For me, also a member at both, I feel much safer at cjrpc than I do at did. I've seen some scary stuff at dicks, ricochets, muzzle sweeps, etc... I lnow tthis can happen anywhere, but less likely at CJ.

Also, head to dix on a sat or sun morning and wait in line for a lane? That sucks. I've never waiting or needed to head out before CJ opened to get a lane or a pit. For me, Cjrpc all the way. Plus its always open.

I understand the price difference, but like others have stated, If you use it, you can justify the cost. heck, sign up one person and save 50 bucks off next years dues...

The more I think about it and look at the pictures on their site, I think i'm in. The only hard part is going to be rearranging my work schedule in order to get to the required meetings. Well I am going to find a way, the prospect of getting off work at 11pm and then going shooting for a while is one I don't think I can pass up. Thanks for all the info guys, hope to see you out there.

Definitely CJRPC. I’ve been a member there for about 8 years and never regretted it.

- Best range of facilities (skeet, trap, 5 position, 200 yard rifle, 300 yard rifle, multiple pits, target handgun range, indoor range, 3D archery range with a stand, etc..)

- 24 hour access to indoor range. Shotgunning sports also done under lights

- Financially well off. If something is broken, it gets fixed. Cleaning staff keep the place tidy

- Nice environment to take new or non-shooters. I used to be a member (I’m sure most of us have at one point or another) of a club with little money and weak management. To a new visitor the place looked nothing more than a garbage dump where everything was shot up with bullet holes. I never liked taking people there as a guest as it hardly a good impression for an introduction to the sport.

- As others have mentioned, there is a feeling of safety there. There are clear rules that are enforced; everyone is aware of them due to the monthly newsletters and mandatory new-member seminars. The threat of being expelled from the club for poor behavior keeps everyone in line.

- Great community relations. They provide many events that introduce new and non-shooters to the sport, such as Women on Target and annual Youth Days. There are also mnay veteran and Wounded Warrior shoots providing free ammo and firearms. It’s a great feeling being able to help out on those days!

- Highly recommended!

The more I think about it and look at the pictures on their site, I think i'm in. The only hard part is going to be rearranging my work schedule in order to get to the required meetings. Well I am going to find a way, the prospect of getting off work at 11pm and then going shooting for a while is one I don't think I can pass up. Thanks for all the info guys, hope to see you out there.

You really only need to make the first meeting to turn in your paperwork, get a safety briefing and orientation of the range rules. They'd like you to make the General Membership meeting the following week to get your ID, but if you can't make it and have a member who can pick up your ID for you, you're good to go.

I held off from joining because I want out of this state, but realize it will probably be a couple of years and feel I can ge my monies worth.

If you can afford it, it is well worth it.

I've been a member at CJR&PC for almost 20 years. No better, safer place to shoot in NJ. Please be aware, that you can pay your initiation fee in installments, and you can reduce your yearly membership fee by working at events, or simply by attending meetings. A lot of nice features such as once you qualify on the skeet and trap machines, you can load them yourself, and shoot to your heart's content. You can also pay a couple of bucks per round on Sundays and shoot with other people. Rifle and pistol ranges are safe, clean, and almost always available. You can't go wrong by joining Central Jersey.

I just joined the forum to read a few things and figured I would post about this place. I am not a member but do plan on joining when I can find the time. Just a note for anyone. I called for some information about the place and joining. I am military and was told there is a discount in the annual dues. 1st year is $75.00. After that it's full price. Of course that could have changed as I called back in April. Just letting the military personel know. One thing that has kept me from joining is my schedule. In order to join you have to show up to 2 meetings, the 1st one is to ensure you know how to handle a firearm. It takes place the last Wednesday of every month. I never seem to be able to make it.

I just joined the forum to read a few things and figured I would post about this place. I am not a member but do plan on joining when I can find the time. Just a note for anyone. I called for some information about the place and joining. I am military and was told there is a discount in the annual dues. 1st year is $75.00. After that it's full price. Of course that could have changed as I called back in April. Just letting the military personel know. One thing that has kept me from joining is my schedule. In order to join you have to show up to 2 meetings, the 1st one is to ensure you know how to handle a firearm. It takes place the last Wednesday of every month. I never seem to be able to make it.

This has been the case for me when I started reading this thread, however August is going to be a great month because I will be able to make the new member meeting the last Wednesday of the month, and I will be there. :) I can't wait until I can wake up on any random weekday and go shooting for a little while before I have to go to work in the afternoon.

I'm currently a member of Fort Dix Range-14. One of the nice things about the range is that we're permitted to shoot basically anything from plastic bottles to aluminum cans to clay pigeons that blow up on the 200 yard range (as long as they're placed behind the 25 yard line) thicker metal targets are also permitted at the 200 yard line. However no fruits, glass, or wood thicker than 1/2" is allowed. They also sell wooden framed targets for 3 bucks each and give you a digger to place yourself.

I actually just joined CJRPC last month but have only been to the orientation and general meeting to get my card. Since I live about an hour away, I'd like to seek clarification on the types of targets allowed on the 200 and 300 yard ranges before I make my first trip down. I checked out the website and it said the following.

"EFFECTIVE EMMEDIATLY Only 6ft tall Target holders are to be used on the 50 and 100 yard ranges. The club has produced a number of these holders for your use. Absolutly no bottles, cans, bowling pins, or any other target is to be placed on top or infront of the 50 and/or 100 yard berm.

EVERY BULLET YOU SHOOT MUST GO INTO THE BACK BERM."

Does this mean I don't need to make my own target holders and that I can get them at the clubhouse for 200-300 yard ranges? If this is the case do I need to bring my own sized cardboard? Also, are these holders only installed at the 50 and 100 yard positions on these ranges? What if I'd like to shoot paper at say 300 yards?

Lastly, I have a metal spinner target, can that be placed anywhere, at specific distances or no allowed at all?

Any clarification would be much appreciated!

There was a short time when a few club made target holders made out of 1x2s were available,but no more, they have been used up. There's big preinstalled holders at the 200 yd lines on both. & at 300 at the HP range. The design for the target holders invented by the club folks is on the website somewheres. Basically there's 3 heights they want you to use for 50/100 yd, depending if yer prone, bench or standing. for 50/10 yd there are iron brackets in the ground (that need to be rehabbed, IMHO)ALWAYS bring your own cardboard, you may luck out and find some around, but not likely. As far as the spinners, I believe the official club position is as long as its at the height required by the anti-ricochet regime, you should be GTG. IRL, if you are doing something un-PC you may get a gentle reminder form a fellow range-ite or passing office/board member

There was a short time when a few club made target holders made out of 1x2s were available,but no more, they have been used up. There's big preinstalled holders at the 200 yd lines on both. & at 300 at the HP range. The design for the target holders invented by the club folks is on the website somewheres. Basically there's 3 heights they want you to use for 50/100 yd, depending if yer prone, bench or standing. for 50/10 yd there are iron brackets in the ground (that need to be rehabbed, IMHO)ALWAYS bring your own cardboard, you may luck out and find some around, but not likely. As far as the spinners, I believe the official club position is as long as its at the height required by the anti-ricochet regime, you should be GTG. IRL, if you are doing something un-PC you may get a gentle reminder form a fellow range-ite or passing office/board member

Thanks Matty! That explains quite a bit. It would be so much easier if the club provided the target stands as they're neither expensive to make in bulk and can last a while unless people keep shooting at the wood. Volunteer work opportunity also! This would ensure everything is made to the correct sizes for reducing ricochets at closer ranges. The spinner target I have is only about 16" tall. I'll put it by the rear berm so there won't be any chance of the shots going over the back. Hopefully nobody will say anything :)

Like Wolfy sez, they made a bunch up and they were quickly shot to bits, or persons of low moral fiber took them. The board & officers are not exactly internet savvy, so the site gets updated only sometimes. If your spinners are out at the back berm, they are fine. I will be out there, probably next Sun aft abut 2PM or so, on the GP, or maybe HP, if the HP thing they have going in is cleared. Will bring M1 and SKS, maybe SU16. I may have a guest or two with me.