Jimbo1911

Found a Hornets nest

Hi everyone, I found a hornets nest about the size of a basketball about 10 feet up in a tree in my front yard. I need some ideas about removal,DIY and professional prices if anyone has ever had this done.I saw some shotgun removal techniques on YouTube but the local PD would not like that :-).I would just leave it if it was higher up but with the kids I need to take care of it in the next week or so...Any advice is appreciated :-) Thanks, Jimbo

I've used the spray cans on yellow jacket nests and they easily shoot 20+ feet. Best bet is to wait until just after dusk when they are all home and calm. Blast the thing and go in the house. Soak it the best you can. The good sprays will drop any soldiers out of the air as soon as they hit the mist, so as long as your aim is good you shouldn't have anything to worry about. The nest sould be dead in the morning.

I had to take care of a yellow jacket nest the size of a pineapple near the attic window a couple yers ago. The professionals I called were all in the range of $300 over the phone, but all left room for escalation depending upon what they saw in person. A few bucks on a can of wasp and hornet spray and I took care of it in about 8 seconds. I left it up as a warning to others until my wife begged me to knock it down.

This is probably the worst idea on the planet, so please don't try it.

But gasoline will kill all of them instantly. I'm not talking about setting a fire, I'm talking about throwing or spraying it on them. They will instantly fall to the ground dead.

Don't do it! Avoid sparks!

• Like 1

In the Islands and south Florida we fabricate what the Bahamians call a paper cup. Twist wire or 2 to 3 wire hangers into a primitive cup large enough to envelop entire nest,affix firmly to a sturdy and long stick and cover in news paper shredding some in the bottom,lightly wet with lighter fluid or kerosene {Optional}. Wait til dusk,ignite and immediately cup the nest until paper burns out. If done properly all wings will be singed and then nest can be safely disposed of in any manner you wish. Every home in the tropics has one of these cups stored especially if you have fruit trees.

I believe it was on here I am not sure,but someone started a fire on the ground below the nest and you have to put alot of green leaves on it to make it really smoke and they die and fall into the fire that's the coolest way. However the 20ft sprays do the trick and you have to do it when its starting to get dark I took out a cantaloupe melon sized nest that way in a bush. Not one bee go anywhere near me to sting,the key is to shoot their exit hole first cause they will try to fly out and just die on their way out of the nest then the nest absorbs the chemical and all the ones that stayed inside die off.

Thanks everyone I appreciate all the ideas.I will let ya know how i make out.Probably gonna do the 20 ft. spray thing and run like hell!Hopefully they will all die and I will be unstung.The paper cup thing sounds good but it would probably freak out the neighbors. :icon_rolleyes:

Thanks everyone I appreciate all the ideas.I will let ya know how i make out.Probably gonna do the 20 ft. spray thing and run like hell!Hopefully they will all die and I will be unstung.The paper cup thing sounds good but it would probably freak out the neighbors. :icon_rolleyes:

Just one request if you can, have someone record it and post it on youtube please...:sarcastichand:

Harry

Just one request if you can, have someone record it and post it on youtube please...:sarcastichand:

Harry

Great idea!!!! but since I run like a wounded sasquatch there probably won't be a video.....unless I can convince a buddy to spray while I video...hhmmmmmmmmm lol I will try to post some pics though :icon_mrgreen:

I have an even worse idea than Mipafox.

1. Take a used 12ga 3 1/2 inch shell.

2. Knock out primer. Insert sparkler into primer hole.

3. Fill shell with gunpowder.

4. Duct tape the hell out of it.

5. Use ladder, stick device into nest, light, run your wounded Sasquatch a$$ off.

6. Film explosion.

Remember, they are innactive and sluggish at night. So, if you are a pussy like me, spray them at night.

This is probably the worst idea on the planet, so please don't try it.

But gasoline will kill all of them instantly. I'm not talking about setting a fire, I'm talking about throwing or spraying it on them. They will instantly fall to the ground dead.

Don't do it! Avoid sparks!

as dangerous as that might sound.. I was going to suggest the same thing..

Had a baseball size wasps nest under my mailbox , talk about a warzone tryin to get my mail , well a few good blasts from the wasp killer took care of that , just watch cause the next day there were a few straglers still hanging around so had to give it another dose =@

I have an even worse idea than Mipafox.

1. Take a used 12ga 3 1/2 inch shell.

2. Knock out primer. Insert sparkler into primer hole.

3. Fill shell with gunpowder.

4. Duct tape the hell out of it.

5. Use ladder, stick device into nest, light, run your wounded Sasquatch a$$ off.

6. Film explosion.

:sarcastichand:

Sparklers are illegal in NJ...there must be a law in NJ for killing hornets etc without a professional license or permit signed by a judge..Peta will take you to court..It might just be easier to move! :nono: j/k

Sparklers are illegal in NJ...there must be a law in NJ for killing hornets etc without a professional license or permit signed by a judge..Peta will take you to court..It might just be easier to move! :nono: j/k

When did that happen..Sparklers USED to be the ONLY Legal "Fireworks"

I did the wasp-hornet spray last night,waited till about 10 pm then let em have it.Looks like no activity this morning probably gonna hit em again tonight for good measure.:-)

Good work. Knock the damn thing down and throw it in the neighbor's yard, or put it in the trash can.

They're illegal? I light 'em off with no issues :D